• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1972 fs104 ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

NGC VarietyPlus describes the FS-104 variety as follows:  "Minor doubling is visible in all obverse lettering and the date. Diagonal die scratches running through letter N in UNITED serve as an additional diagnostic for this variety." See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos. I can't see any doubling in your partial photo of the obverse, and without a photo of the reverse it isn't possible to check for the additional diagnostic.

I am not sure that learning the names of the two individuals that devised the die variety designation system is really important.  I would instead offer a suggestion of reading/learning particular material.  I feel confident that you started your journey in a similar manner as every collector has and will continue to do so. 

On 12/8/2023 at 3:45 PM, Travsobeast said:

Is this the fs 104 1972 ddo

Use the following Infographic to determine if you see hub doubling with the coin in-hand, but I don't see any doubling in the photo.

Errors - Doubled Die Graphic.jpg

On 12/8/2023 at 5:44 PM, Sandon said:

See Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com) for photos. I can't see any doubling in your partial photo of the obverse, and without a photo of the reverse it isn't possible to check for the additional diagnostic

NGC VarietyPlus includes the following diagnostics: "Minor doubling is visible in all obverse lettering and the date" and also shows pictures for doubling of "In God We" and "Liberty" on the obverse.which does not appear to be present, So I don't think we need to see the reverse to make a call on this one, although that should have been posted in any event for a complete review.

To the OP, I apologize for the transgression here regarding dprince1138 as this diatribe is not helping answer your question whatsoever. I have reported those posts.

I do not see any of the necessary features to attribute your coin to any of the FS-101 through FS-109 varieties (I own an FS-103). Even though on the later varieties FS-104 through FS-109 the doubling becomes less and less visible as the dies wore, it is still apparent to the naked eye. I got my cent for very cheap as I think the dealer missed the fact that it had any doubling because it was not the well sought out FS-101 variety.

I have checked probably thousands of these cents in my cash register change looking for one of any of the varieties and I have yet to find one in pocket change.

On 12/9/2023 at 12:14 AM, cobymordet said:

I feel confident that you started your journey in a similar manner as every collector has and will continue to do so.

No, the hobby really REALLY, REALLY  was just fundamentally different (I'd say "better") in 1963, when I started. Sorry, it just was.

On 12/9/2023 at 9:28 PM, VKurtB said:

No, the hobby really REALLY, REALLY  was just fundamentally different (I'd say "better") in 1963, when I started. Sorry, it just was.

Now we can get anything we want with the tap of a keyboard. I agree it was more of a camaraderie. Back in 63 you had to be part of something, or you were on your own. Coin clubs, snail mail and corner store magazines were a must.