• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cornucopia of Questions unrelated to each other. . . 1
1 1

10 posts in this topic

I got some questions that have been queuing up in my head and tonight the proverbial dam cracked. . 

Has this steel wheaty been post-coated or is it a genu-wine shine?

image.thumb.png.d11c10357798d61be84b245fc3b26d9c.png

For those night owls hooting away, stay tuned, more to come......

It doesn’t look like it it's shiny like a plated piece. Looks pretty normal to me. 

Edited by Lem E
Sp

Looks like some other 1943-S steel cents.  Was it over spec weight to make you think it was plated?

698217-1.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/8/2023 at 1:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

looks like some other 1943-S Steel cents.  Was it over spec weight to make you think it was plated?

No, I just need my hand held on a few things from time to time and I find it easier to let smarter people provide me more reliable information rather than circle my OCD down the drain. I believed it to be unaltered.  It seems a dullish gray, with no luster.  I am not sure I have come across such a clean example before.  Sadly, I got bunches of the rusty nail versions.  I still don't have the scale reaction unless I am focused on weight.  I will do that tomorrow for S&G.

On 12/8/2023 at 2:47 AM, cobymordet said:

EagleRJO, what grade is the example you posted?, LOL, better yet what grade would you attribute to my coin.  I am hoping it could hit MS-60.

That coin I posted was MS-63.  For your coin it looks like there is loss of luster and some high point wear on Lincoln's chin and cheek on the obverse as well as some wear of the wheat stalks on the reverse, so no it unfortunately wouldn't make an MS grade.

Grading - Lincoln Wheat Cent Design High Points.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

All you have to do is look at the edge to tell if it has been plated or not.  
If the edge looks like the obverse and reverse, it has been plated.   
If you can see the steel core, then it is genuine.

Coby your steel cent is in decent condition, but it has been circulated. The coin does not appear to be cleaned or have any issues. It has not been plated.  From the photos I would assign a photo grade of AU53. The coin is not worth much just around .75c to the right buyer. Cheers

I think your cent has original surfaces. Plated ones usually look "too shiny" and unnatural. Yours has that duller more towards the grey surface. I also believe your cent would grade in AU, most likely AU 53-AU55.

I have saved all the ones I have found through the years roll hunting. Fact is the ones you find in the wild are not too nice. I went looking after seeing this to post the best looking one, I had. Yours is very nice Coby. 

S20231208_0002.jpg

S20231208_0001.jpg

Edited by J P M