• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1982 d small date ?? the rub marks look zinc and i have no way to weigh it
1 1

19 posts in this topic

It does look like a small date.  In addition to some exposed zinc from the core, I would bet the family ranch it weighs about 2.50g indicative of a 1982-D copper plated zinc cent with no added value.

If you are going down that rabbit hole searching for a powerball odds chance at finding a super rare 1982-D small date brass cent, which should weigh about 3.11g, then the attached infographic may help with your rainbow unicorn search.  Initially focus on the "2" in the date.  And you will need a decent scale accurate to 0.01g with a calibration weight or you might as well just give up now.

1982LincolnCentInfographic.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

yeah i can read but i still don't have a coin eye hehe i got 3 more i will post to this thread 82 d's if you guy's say they are small dates i will go get a cheap cheap cheap scale thank you in advance

Now that you have a bonified small date coin, you can use that coin as a guide to verify future 82d coins.  As soon as I had a small date in hand, the difference was quite easy to spot. 

On 12/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, jimbean802 said:

... if you guy's say they are small dates i will go get a cheap cheap cheap scale

Then you might as well buy two of them and throw them both out.  At least myself and @powermad5000 have had significant issues with weights being way off using the super cheap scales.  If you can't get a decent scale with a calibration weight you might as well give up the search.

This is one of the easiest to identify types on a Lincoln cent. Think about a snowman. A big head snowman would not look the same as a small head snowman. Think of the 8 as a snowman. The one with the big head is a large date the one with the small head is a small date. Simple snowman science.

On 12/8/2023 at 9:37 AM, Mike Meenderink said:

This is one of the easiest to identify types on a Lincoln cent. Think about a snowman. A big head snowman would not look the same as a small head snowman. Think of the 8 as a snowman. The one with the big head is a large date the one with the small head is a small date. Simple snowman science.

Where does the carrot go?

The carrot 

On 12/9/2023 at 6:40 PM, VKurtB said:

Where does the carrot go?

Between the coal eyes lower center just above the corn cob pipe that is lower right. In Canada and other weird places, the nose is often a button which so stupid. Thier snowman science is way off...

On 12/9/2023 at 8:52 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

The carrot 

Between the coal eyes lower center just above the corn cob pipe that is lower right. In Canada and other weird places, the nose is often a button which so stupid. Thier snowman science is way off...

"They don't even know when Thanksgiving Day is."

On 12/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Well most of them are French of some kind..so..

Hey, I like the French cause they saved our butts during the Revolutionary War and while we were growing after Independence. Then we saved their butts twice during the World Wars so I think we are even steven.  But I do not get why they don't like Americans so much.  Trust me they don't, I have been to France.

On 12/9/2023 at 10:44 PM, EagleRJO said:

Hey, I like the French cause they saved our butts during the Revolutionary War and while we were growing after Independence. Then we saved their butts twice during the World Wars so I think we are even steven.  But I do not get why they don't like Americans so much.  Trust me they don't, I have been to France.

I think it is because we mess with their food recipes.