• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1946 penny misspelled LIBERTY (LIEERTY) error
1 1

9 posts in this topic

This is odd, was this some how cut off during the minting process. I don't see any kind of activity going on around the letter. Hmmm 

20231203_121324.jpg

20231203_121558.jpg

20231203_121645.jpg

Completely filling just a precise portion of the "B" - but not blending relief, is problematical. Off hand, I'd vote for damage.

I agree with damage as it would be very unlikely for just the side of the "B" to be grease filled in such a well defined straight line like that.

It looks like a hit mashed the side of the "B" before that displaced metal came off, with indications or a shadow of where the displaced metal was.  There have been numerous topics where parts of characters on coins made of copper, which is a very soft metal, have been displaced or completely knocked off.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/3/2023 at 11:53 AM, RWB said:

Completely filling just a precise portion of the "B" - but not blending relief, is problematical. Off hand, I'd vote for damage.

I am seeing the entire centers of the unfinished B raised up slightly as if a stage as built between them. Where do you suggest this malformed extra metal came from? 

It looks like a there is a scrape on the coin just between the B and E and the metal was scooped away long ago.  

Edited by J P M

On 12/3/2023 at 5:14 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I am seeing the entire centers of the unfinished B raised up slightly as if a stage as built between them. Where do you suggest this malformed extra metal came from? 

There's a color/tone change but no clear relief. Also, if part of the incuse lettering were filled, any displaced metal would flow into other incuse areas, not onto what is raised (relief) on a die.