• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1940-S penny RPM- 006
1 1

9 posts in this topic

Looks like it might be an RPM but there is too much wear and damage to [definitively attribute that].  In any event it wouldn't be one that is significant enough to be attributed by NGC as listed in VarietyPlus.  For minor varieties like this I would look for coins in better condition.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 12/3/2023 at 3:22 PM, EagleRJO said:

Looks like it might be an RPM but there is too much wear and damage to tell.  In any event it wouldn't be one attributed by NGC as listed in VarietyPlus.  For minor varieties like this I would look for coins in better condition.

Thanks RJO, I bought a couple of big bag's of wheaties to search through, really hard to get my hands on better condition coin's. So I do the best I can to get what I can. I've been told on here by a few members, if I find varietys do not clean the coin's witch could devalue them. And by being in the hobby since 2018 getting more knowledge with searching, and reading, some collector's will buy just to have a variety coin. I know these aren't valuable coins because of the condition there in. I don't really sale,  I keep what I find. Just so I can say I got one. Really fun doing this hobby and love to find what I can.

One difficulty that I have found, is that varieties are not all listed at all sources, as well as different sources describe different attributes.  At this time, I use 5 different variety sources (PCGS, NGC, Seated Dime Varieties, Dave's Bust Half Dollar, NNP), with a new one (variety vista) identified today.  However, as mentioned above, more minor variations would not be widely documented.

While I am seeing an RPM, when checking all the recognized varieties for the 1940 S LWC on Variety Vista, they all (RPM-001 through RPM-009) seem to have reverse die crack markers that don't seem to be present on your cent. I would think you would need to further research this as it seems all the RPM's for this year and mintmark have some kind of die issue with the reverse die.

Also, I am glad you are having fun looking for these. The hobby should be fun no matter what way it interests a collector.

On 12/7/2023 at 4:18 PM, powermad5000 said:

While I am seeing an RPM, when checking all the recognized varieties for the 1940 S LWC on Variety Vista, they all (RPM-001 through RPM-009) seem to have reverse die crack markers that don't seem to be present on your cent.

Keep in mind there are also 18 RPMs listed on Wexler's Die Varieties site, and it could be an EDS without some or all of the markers.  For this coin it appears to be a RPM, but I think there is too much wear and damage to definitively attribute that RPM as noted, and it wouldn't be one significant enough to be listed on NGC VarietyPlus anyway.

On 12/7/2023 at 5:03 PM, EagleRJO said:

Keep in mind there are also 18 RPMs listed on Wexler's Die Varieties site, and it could be an EDS without some or all of the markers.  For this coin it appears to be a RPM, but I think there is too much wear and damage to definitively attribute that RPM as noted, and it wouldn't be one significant enough to be listed on NGC VarietyPlus anyway.

Thank you