• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1953 D brass penny
1 1

11 posts in this topic

I was coin  roll hunting and came across a 1953 D penny that weighed  2.7 g not of the 3.1 g. NGC tested it came back 95% copper 5% zinc I had a third party test it and  came back 95% copper 5% of zinc. Not sure where to go from here any help would be much appreciated thank you

Why do you think there is something else to do?   You have a perfectly normal cent that is just slightly under weight.   It may have been an end of strip planchet that is slightly thin.  Not a big deal.

It's supposed to be copper tin and zinc which makes bronze.  copper and zinc make brass.  the one weighs 3.1 g this one weighs 2.7 g it's quite different it's not on a thin planchet

Edited by Rww
Misspelled word

On 11/27/2023 at 5:25 PM, Rww said:

I was coin  roll hunting and came across a 1953 D penny that weighed  2.7 g not of the 3.1 g. NGC tested it came back 95% copper 5% zinc I had a third party test it and  came back 95% copper 5% of zinc. Not sure where to go from here any help would be much appreciated thank you

Please post your "NGC testing" results. I am suspicious as to your statement. Why? Because the only testing NGC does is when a coin is graded and encapsulated. They would post the metallurgic analysis if so requested and duly authenticated breakdown of the coin so special as this right on the holder. Oh and post your #3 parties testing results as well. Thanks. Cant wait to see this.... lol

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/27/2023 at 7:25 PM, Rww said:

Did NGC encapsulate your coin when you sent it to them? Did they provide any other information or opinion other than the metal content?

(Vastly uninformed comment on my part voluntarily withdrawn as it appears @Sandon is at the top of his game. (worship)  With but a few masterful strokes on the keyboard he continues to greatly jeopardize his Newbie status.) 🤣

According to data from the mint compiled by Coin World a 1947-1962 "bronze" cent (95% Cu + 5% Zn + trace Tin) and a 1962-1982 brass cent (95% Cu + 5% Zn) both have a spec weight of 3.110g +/- 0.130g and virtually the same Cu/Zn content.  So a circulated 1953-D cent with a weight of 2.7g and metal analysis, probably done with XRF tests, showing 95% Cu and 5% Zn would simply indicate a worn coin with a slightly thinner than usual blank as noted, and not some type of off-metal planchet error which you seem to think.

Also, 1953 was not a transitional year for cent composition, the 1962-1982 brass cent blanks you seem convinced this coin was struck on were not even being produced in 1953, and XRF testing likely wouldn't pick up the trace amounts of tin in your "bronze" cent.

Edited by EagleRJO