• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Buffalo Nickel 1917
1 1

16 posts in this topic

It seems to be in very nice condition.  From the image, right off hand, I would give it a grade of XF

The NGC price guide indicates the value of an XF grade of about $195.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/nickels/24/varieties/13935/

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-explorer/united-states/nickels/buffalo-five-cents-1913-1938/13935/1917-d-5c-ms/?des=ms

13915-1-1524665327.jpg

13915-2-1524665336.jpg

1917 D with grades VF\XF on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_dcat=139806&_fsrp=1&rt=nc&_from=R40&Grade=XF%2040|VF%2035|XF%2045|VF%2030|VF%2025&LH_All=1&Mint%20Location=Denver&_nkw=1917&_sacat=139806

The first 2 images are XF, the second 2 images are VF, of course, XF and VF both have sub ratings, depending upon additional clarity.

xfo.jpg

xfr.jpg

vfo.png

vfr.png

Edited by dprince1138

On 17.11.2023 at 01:08, Sandon said:

Добро пожаловать в чат NGC. 

Прежде всего — и меня беспокоит, что никто не упомянул об этом раньше — ваша монета — пятицентовая монета «Баффало» 1917- , а не 1917 года, на что указывает маленькая буква «D» под надписью «ПЯТЬ ЦЕНТОВ». Отметка монетного двора на монете так же важна, как ее дата и тип, для идентификации и оценки монеты. 1917-D (выпуск монетного двора Денвера) имеет более высокую прейскурантную стоимость на всех уровнях, чем 1917 год (выпуск монетного двора Филадельфии).

Судя по фотографиям, ваша монета имеет оценку Extremely Fine (40) или выше по деталям, но имеет странную белизну, которая предполагает, что она была «очищена», то есть первоначальная поверхность была очищена или повреждена химическими веществами или абразивами. Это ухудшение, которое снизит его ценность и продаваемость. Это невозможно определить с помощью фотографий, хотя снимки с разных углов освещения могли бы помочь.

Если предположить, что монета не повреждена, то никель Extremely Fine 1917-D Buffalo стоит 195 долларов в справочнике цен NGC, 150 долларов в текущем ежемесячном выпуске Coin  World  и 169 долларов в  обзоре рынка монет и валют CPG за этот квартал. Это розничные (дилерские цены продажи, а не покупки). «Чистка» могла бы снизить стоимость на треть-половину, а может и больше.

Крайне важно, чтобы коллекционер научился сортировать и иным образом оценивать монеты. Есть ли у вас руководство по оценке печати или хотя бы обратитесь к сайту PCGS Photograde Online,  https://www.pcgs.com/photograde ? Кроме того, есть ли у вас текущий (2024 г.) или недавний выпуск «  Справочника монет США»,  широко известного как «Красная книга»?

Thanks for the answer. The coin has not been cleaned. Perhaps the light from the camera flash gave this effect. I just can’t take clear pictures with my NIKON D5300. I don't have a macro lens. 

Took a few more pictures under the lamp, maybe they turned out better.

_DSC0028.jpg

_DSC0022.jpg

It is a good looking coin . I agree with Sandon's information . I would say EF40 . I would not have it graded it is on the borderline for being worth the cost unless you were building a registry set.  I know dprince is trying to be helpful but. It does not help when you flood the tread with other coins dprince it makes everything more difficult.

Edited by J P M

Some may not realize that there are allowances in the ANA grading standards for certain unevenly struck Buffalo nickels with details having weak spots (7th Ed, p125).  There are a number of years and mintmarks noted therein, which includes the op's 1917-D 5C.

https://www.ngccoin.com/coin-grading-guide/grading-buffalo-five-cents/

Context shapes our understanding and interpretation of all the visual material we encounter. Context for images can take many forms, including accompanying text, other images of the same subject, and even cultural knowledge of the audience.

I have given too much credence for others to understand what I have thought of as intutive context.

Of course, reactions could simply be due to a desperate attempt to feel superior.  

On 11/16/2023 at 3:59 PM, dprince1138 said:

1917 D with grades VF\XF on ebay

Please ignore this advice to go to ebay listings to look for grading examples, as the images are almost never high resolution.  Stick with grading examples on CoinFacts or PhotoGrade, or some of the better known auction houses like GC or HA have high resolution images with the listings.

On 11/16/2023 at 4:53 PM, sand-8 said:

The coin has not been cleaned

How do you know that?  Simply since you didnt clean it doesn't mean it wasn't cleaned by someone in the past, and some collectors in the past regularly "wiped" their coins.

On 11/16/2023 at 7:49 PM, dprince1138 said:

Context shapes our understanding and interpretation of all the visual material we encounter. Context for images can take many forms, including accompanying text, other images of the same subject, and even cultural knowledge of the audience.

I have given too much credence for others to understand what I have thought of as intutive context.

Of course, reactions could simply be due to a desperate attempt to feel superior.  

This sounds like something  an AI response would be... ¬¬

On 11/17/2023 at 6:56 AM, J P M said:

This sounds like something  an AI response would be... ¬¬

I had the same exact thought!  I mean, it is getting a little ridiculous.  Dprince, seriously you post statements in all sorts of language, some yours, some seemingly not yours, just a copy-paste from another online source.  The people responding here are very knowledgeable numismatists.  Try (once again) to tone down your responses and please post some original ideas instead of just copying without context what you find online.  Your impression with others here on this site is probably sunk below recovery at this point, but if I were you, I would make an effort anyway