• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How do I price a coin before it is graded?
1 1

17 posts in this topic

I have a 1884 S Morgan $1.  Very good condition as far as I can tell.  It is shiny and detailed but has a scratch on her cheek.  If it is MS61 or higher it could be worth >$10k, if it is not MS grade it could be worth <$1000.  The pricing for grading assumes you already know the value so you can submit it to the correct category.  Please guide me through submitting this coin for grading.

Also, NGC has a customer service phone number that you can call and they may be able to give you some good advice.
Coin Grading | Numismatic Guaranty Company | NGC

1-800-NGC-COIN, 1-941-360-3990 or service@NGCCoin.com

PCGS CoinFacts: Your Digital Encyclopedia of U.S. Coins

PCGS Coin Price Guide: The Industry Standard for US Coin Values

Edited by dprince1138

Coins have die varieties, i.e., the type of profile image, as well, which generally can make a coin even more valuable.

Morgan Dollars (1878-1921) | VarietyPlus® | NGC

Morgan Dollars (1878-1921) | Price Guide & Values | NGC

Also, there is another forum where you can ask any questions that you may have.

Coin Collecting Discussions At Coin Community Forum

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/15/2023 at 10:35 PM, dprince1138 said:

Also, there is another forum where you can ask any questions that you may have.

Coin Collecting Discussions At Coin Community Forum

Dprince1138: Quaeso fac profectionem tuam celerem ac stabilem.

Qwiksword: As multiple responses have indicated, you could have a potentially valuable coin, or you may not.  Coin conditions can be deceiving.  Understanding how to grade a coin is not easy for those unfamiliar with it, sometimes even for those with some familiarity.  There are multiple, knowledgeable, and honest (sometimes too honest) people here willing to help you understand various aspects of your coin.  Unfortunately, nothing but speculation and cross-talk will occur if you are unable to supply pictures.  Also, as our favorite interloper has indicated, there are multiple reputable forums similar to this one that you are welcome to visit, but I assure you, pictures will be requested as well.  It is simply the nature of the beast.  Good luck with your coin and whatever choices you make, don't be hasty.  Take a day and confer with a trusted source before you make any big decisions. 

On 11/15/2023 at 9:17 AM, Qwiksword said:

I have a 1884 S Morgan $1.  Very good condition as far as I can tell.  It is shiny and detailed but has a scratch on her cheek.  If it is MS61 or higher it could be worth >$10k, if it is not MS grade it could be worth <$1000.  The pricing for grading assumes you already know the value so you can submit it to the correct category.  Please guide me through submitting this coin for grading.

Despite the many well intentioned and experienced replies, I would like to add to this. As a newbie I had the same question and concerns, hence a different response. But, do understand that the guidance you have already been given by the experienced members is correct. "Guide you through submitting this coin for grading..."

Both NGC and PCGS have detailed processes that you can research, even contacting them personally to do so. If you've chosen to do this, understand there are costs that can exceed the current market value of the coin. Also, understand that, determining the manner and format in which it would be sold can have additional cost. Remember taxes also, if it is pertinent to your sales process. This is my "newbie" process when asking myself the same questions about a raw coin I have... Check the information NGC and PCGS provides regarding that coin, if that doesn't negate the potential value, move on to Ebay sold, not listings, already similar coins that have sold, if that overall value doesn't negate the potential sale value, go on to your local dealers websites and find what similar coins are being sold for. That will provide you with a loose average of what the coin is actually going for on the open market. Loose being the key term.  At that point determine if the gamble is worth it to you, if profiting financially is your goal. And never forget that value doesn't guarantee sale value.  Once again, understand that the expense of the process can easily exceed the current  financial value of the coin, if profiting financially is the intent. As a side note, never believe you can personally grade a coin at this point, those that are experienced and dedicated to that see things that we don't. Provide pictures as they've mentioned...but don't forget the person who will actually grade and slab that coin isn't on this forum, and they will decide a grade without any concern for any of our experience, opinions, or attitudes.

On 11/15/2023 at 10:17 AM, Qwiksword said:

20231120_135123.jpg

20231120_135109.jpg

20231120_135051.jpg

20231120_135037.jpg

20231120_135023.jpg

20231120_134954.jpg

20231120_135803.jpg

20231120_135753.jpg

20231120_135746.jpg

20231120_135728.jpg

@Qwiksword, Your coin is definitely not Mint State. It has a definite rub on the eagle's breast feathers. This is not unusual for this date. there are many coins that are "close," but not quite Mint State. 

It's still good if the coin graded AU-50 ($380) or AU-58 ($1,900). I think that it is closer to the AU-50 than AU-58. The reason is that collectors who can't afford the Mint State pieces can use the AU coins which are a close match to the Uncirculated coins. The problem is if the piece has been cleaned or polished. I can't tell if that has been done to it from your photos. 

Edited by BillJones

On 11/15/2023 at 11:20 AM, Sandon said:

The 1884-S Morgan dollar is scarce as an uncirculated coin, and there are numerous pieces--probably more than genuine uncirculated examples--that are lightly worn and have been "cleaned" or polished to make them look uncirculated to those without the necessary knowledge.

I am quoting what I said before because, unfortunately, the photos you posted show that your coin is an example of the pieces to which I was referring.

The coin definitely has wear on the high points, such as Liberty's hair and the eagle's breast. It has no better than lower end About Uncirculated (AU 50-53) details and is definitely not uncirculated. From what I can see--the photos aren't great--it has a "washed out" appearance with an unnatural shine that leads me to conclude that a grading service would likely designate it as having been "cleaned". (Compare this to the original luster of the MS 63 graded 1883-O posted above.) The rim appears to have been filed, which can also lead to a "details" grade. It appears to be a genuine 1884 Morgan dollar, but I can't evaluate from the photos the possibility that the mintmark was added.  In the unlikely event it received a "straight" AU 50 or better grade, it might be barely worth the grading fees, but I wouldn't submit it.

I recommend that you attend coin shows or other venues where you can see examples of uncirculated Morgan dollars of this era to become familiar with what they are supposed to look like. These photos of an 1888-O that NGC recently graded MS 64 show the hair, breast feather and other details that a reasonably well struck, uncirculated example of a piece of the design used from 1879-1900 (and some 1878 Philadelphia and 1901-02) should look like:

1888-Odollarobv..thumb.jpg.a83be718abcd1be1df9133df7fd5fee7.jpg

1888-Odollarrev..thumb.jpg.16710547582c93bf3e62b3892101ef8e.jpg

It's really hard to tell much of anything or see if it might be genuine from those photos, which are all blurry and except the last one not centered, other than it appears to be a Morgan like coin with a little wear that has an off color or appearance which might indicate it was dipped or cleaned.

You could try taking better photos, perhaps by resting your hand on something while keeping directly above and close to the coin.

If it was a fake, I would say it is a really good one then. I can see some of the detail in the lower tail of the eagle and a fake would be hard to get those details right. The "lines" across the feathers of the right wing are also present and seem to be proper. I also see the "teeth" mark on the obverse in front of the face where another Morgan struck the field in front of the face.

I think it is an AU but I also do believe it has been cleaned as it has an unnatural white appearance and would receive a details grade which would substantially reduce its value. Being there is a very wide disparity in value between just AU 55 ($525 current price guide) and AU 58 ($2,200 current price guide), I think a details grade would knock this coin down to the bottom AU value if not even into XF ($225-$120).

When a coin is cleaned or gets a details grade for whatever reason, it generally loses 1/3 to 1/2 of its value without impairment. It is just a reality of the market. Nobody here is saying you cleaned the coin as it was most likely cleaned before you obtained it. Impaired coins still do find a buyer eventually, but expect to take a big hit on the premium it could get if it had original surfaces.