• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I had to have it
1 1

17 posts in this topic

Nice!  Don't you have other "Omaha Bank Hoard" coins [besides the 1964-D above and 1964-P mentioned], or am I thinking of someone else.

Edited by EagleRJO

Regarding Jeffersons, are there years that full steps (5/6) are not possible or extremely rare? What would those years be? 

Also, can you help me understand the 6th step.  I can't seem to find any pics that differentiate clearly.  Does the top line count as a step? 

I apologize in advance of showing a pic on yer thread but this 5-v-6 Stairmaster Conspiracy has me rattled.  This pic is of a 1940d nickel I recently picked up.  I count five steps below the line with the pillars. (hopefully that makes sense).  So would this qualify as a 5 or 6. . . or would it qualify at all?

image.thumb.png.7f5a88795435962aa8ac1466bd0e20b0.png

On 11/14/2023 at 2:34 AM, cobymordet said:

Regarding Jeffersons, are there years that full steps (5/6) are not possible or extremely rare? What would those years be? 

Also, can you help me understand the 6th step.  I can't seem to find any pics that differentiate clearly.  Does the top line count as a step? 

I apologize in advance of showing a pic on yer thread but this 5-v-6 Stairmaster Conspiracy has me rattled.  This pic is of a 1940d nickel I recently picked up.  I count five steps below the line with the pillars. (hopefully that makes sense).  So would this qualify as a 5 or 6. . . or would it qualify at all?

Yes cobymordet the top step counts. Now if you have a PCGS FS nickel NGC will only count it as a five step for the registry. As for your year of full steps I find the hardest ones to find are from 1960 to 1970. There are also some other years that had very poor strikes. Those coins are also valued a bit high. Have you started a registry set Coby ? It sounded like you have been picking up nickels here and there.

Edited by J P M

Thanks for the clarification JPM.  No set registry for me, my collection prefers a bit lower level lifestyle.  My OCD has kicked in to overdrive focusing on counting steps.  I wish there was an app for that.  Thanks again!

The coin in your photo Coby, unless it is just shadows, looks as if the bottom step merged with the one above it to the right of the center of the steps so in my opinion it would not get the FS designation. The attribution for full steps reads that each step must be fully separated from the others and must be unbroken all the way across. Generally, hits to the steps will negate FS.

Also be aware, and I don't care who says what about it, you might see slabs for sale with a bull hockey 4FS sticker on them. There is NO 4 FS. Neither PCGS nor NGC recognize 4 steps worthy of a full step designation. Definitely don't pay a premium for those because of that sticker.

On 11/14/2023 at 2:34 AM, cobymordet said:

I apologize in advance of showing a pic on yer thread but this 5-v-6 Stairmaster Conspiracy has me rattled.

You would likely get more help starting your own thread.

On 11/14/2023 at 12:34 AM, cobymordet said:

I agree with @powermad5000 as the last two steps are blended under the third column, the area under that third column seems to be the critical area of weakness on the Jefferson nickel rev.   You coin would, imo, receive a 5FS but not qualify as 6FS.

I appreciate the clarification, I just gotta use the extra toe when counting stairs.  I have no intention of grading it, I don't imagine it will get better than AU and I also don't imagine the value would be much better with even six steps.  From what little I have seen, 1940 was an adjusted REV year that really cleared up the stairs.  I am a visual/tactile learner, so it helps when I have a coin in hand to see particular oddities.  Again, apologies on sidetracking your party.  

On 11/14/2023 at 5:24 PM, cobymordet said:

I appreciate the clarification, I just gotta use the extra toe when counting stairs.  I have no intention of grading it, I don't imagine it will get better than AU and I also don't imagine the value would be much better with even six steps.  From what little I have seen, 1940 was an adjusted REV year that really cleared up the stairs.  I am a visual/tactile learner, so it helps when I have a coin in hand to see particular oddities.  Again, apologies on sidetracking your party.  

You are not side tracking anything you are talking about nickels . You asked a question and we will try to answer anything relevant to the nickel subject. It's all good..(thumbsu  

On 11/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, edhalbrook said:

What's the omaha bank hoard? 

Some large collections of valuable older coins discovered are called a "hoard" with a name that describes something about it.  You can get more info from a Google search.

On 11/18/2023 at 11:09 AM, edhalbrook said:

What's the omaha bank hoard? 

As I recall, these coins came from a substantial group of rolls of uncirculated coins from the 1940s and 50s that had been preserved by a bank in Omaha, Nebraska. The dealers who submitted coins from these rolls to NGC and PCGS arranged to have this provenance stated on the labels for marketing purposes. This doesn't matter much to most collectors.