• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jefferson nickel steps Rev of 38 or 40. What do you see?
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I apologize for the pic quality. I’ll give this a little time for the members to give their opinion.

IMG_1958.thumb.jpeg.73acf1eda438095e8d4128e7d8a26497.jpeg

Edited by Lem E

Although the strike makes this one a bit confusing, the steps appear to be lightly engraved and wavy, meaning that this is a Reverse of 1938 (Variety 1).  (According to the NGC Coin Explorer, nearly two-thirds of 1939-S nickels have the Reverse of '38, while most of the 1939 and 1939-D issues have the Reverse of '40.) 1939 S REV OF 38 5C MS | Coin Explorer | NGC (ngccoin.com).

What does the NGC holder that contains the coin say its variety is?

On 11/13/2023 at 6:15 PM, Sandon said:

What does the NGC holder that contains the coin say its variety is?

I don’t want to sway anyones vote one way or another but I will post the label after a bit. 

I assume thats an MS graded nickel, so to me the less well defined steps, except on the far right side which is a little more defined, would indicate a 1939-S 5C Rev 38.

[P.S.  I also see a slight curve in the steps drawing a box around that on LemE's nickel which is another indicator for a Rev 38, unless that is just an optical delusion.] 

1939 5C Reverses.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

It is tough to say for sure where I need to look is banged up and worn but I can still see the line on  the left and the one on the right is showing enough for me to say it is a 40 reverse . I went and looked at mine and even though It is banged up I can still see the steps better than this one I am going to say it is a 38 reverse labeled as a 40 reverse.

Edited by J P M

Looks like a Reverse of 1938 to me. I have one in MS66FS. (PCGS) Bernie Nagengast estimated the Denvers were about equal of each.

Edited by VKurtB

On 11/14/2023 at 1:30 AM, powermad5000 said:

Darn! I was pretty busy today and just saw this so I couldn't get my "two cents" in on this nickel. :busy:

And a dime ain't worth a nickel no more.