• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with a proof set? 1968
1 1

19 posts in this topic

Thank you in advance,

I have a 1968 proof set with many issues and haven't the slightest inkling what to do with it [how to send it in].

-The half kennedy is dirty [its not on the case-its on the coin itself inside the plastic]

-the quarter obverse is gold plated while the reverse has only a gold rim [the rest is clad per normal]

-the dime and nickel look fine but there could be off centers in it

-and finally the gemmy penny is most definitely off center when flipped to the reverse [drastically so]

So any ideas or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.  Sorry for the terrible pictures, I just grabbed screen shots from a video I made.

1968 pf obverse.png

1968 pf reverse.png

On 11/13/2023 at 8:43 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The coins are toning and I see nothing wrong or odd with the cent, the rest of the coins look perfectly normal as well.  Leave it as is, there is nothing in the pictured set worth having graded.

Thank you, helps a lot. Not going to touch it.

On 11/13/2023 at 10:43 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The coins are toning and I see nothing wrong or odd with the cent, the rest of the coins look perfectly normal as well.  Leave it as is, there is nothing in the pictured set worth having graded.

My point is that it requires better pesentation if wanting to sell the collection on ebay.  I suppose if they have a nice iphone camera, then that should work.

Also, it appears that the Kennedy is an accent hair proof?

Edited by dprince1138

Hello again! I am in agreeance with the others that there is not anything worth the cost of submission on this set. I believe you could submit the whole set and have it graded in the OGP, BUT, I would not. 

The Kennedy half does appear to have had some type of "mistake" happen and seems to have a smudge that developed into a stain so that coin is worth face value.

The quarter is not gold plated or anything gold, but that is the color it is toning. Some coins turn red or blue or violet or even rainbow many colors.

The dime, nickel, and penny look like the normal proof issues produced in this year and I do not see anything off center on any of the coins. On the discussion of the cent as to its contrast, it may possibly get a Cameo designation at best but for sure will not get an Ultra Cameo designation and at the level of only Cameo, it might only be worth five dollars at best.

Now, all that said, I owned one of these sets (same year) and bought it in the early 70's when I was a kid. The set I owned had better looking coins in it than the set you have. I scrutinized this set to see if anything was worth submitting and the end result was the set was sold off on eBay for $6. Hopefully this statement of mine is enough to dissuade you from considering submitting this set. With the stain on the Kennedy, you might only get $3 but I would leave all in the OGP.

Edited by powermad5000

On 11/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, dprince1138 said:

My point is that it requires better pesentation if wanting to sell the collection on ebay.  I suppose if they have a nice iphone camera, then that should work.

You mean they way you submit your Etsy/eBay flippers to verify the authenticity and attribution, just so you can get better photos for presentation?  (shrug) doh!

On 11/13/2023 at 11:02 AM, dprince1138 said:

NGC\PCG\ANACS or much, much better images and sell on ebay.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:22 PM, dprince1138 said:

Having these coins graded makes zero sense financially, the fees would never be recouped, the OP would loose money. Better pictures would be a benefit but seeing as these proof sets sell for around $10 it's hardly worth spending any time or money on unless there was an additional reason to upgrade.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:16 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Having these coins graded makes zero sense financially, the fees would never be recouped, the OP would loose money. Better pictures would be a benefit but seeing as these proof sets sell for around $10 it's hardly worth spending any time or money on unless there was an additional reason to upgrade.

Not if the Kennedy half is Cameo, Gem or Silver.  Unless I am not seeing it correctly, it appears to have profile highlighting, which seems to be of this category.

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, dprince1138 said:

Not if the Kennedy half is Cameo, Gem or Silver.  Unless I am not seeing it correctly, it appears to have profile highlighting, which seems to be of this category.

The Lincoln cent is a cameo. The Kennedy half is not. Since this is a 1968 set, and NOT 1971 or later, the really nice 1968 proof cent in Cameo (maybe Ultra Cameo, but probably not) is noteworthy. Is it worth popping it out to have it graded? I'd say no.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:50 PM, dprince1138 said:

You are not seeing it correctly. No surprise there. The Kennedy proof halves in 1968 were all struck in silver so that is not a factor here. Whether it is Cameo or not makes no difference here either as it would likely get a details grade for whatever happened to the obverse to cause it to become stained. Gem is just a general descriptive term to describe ANY coin that exhibits very minimal or no surface issues such as minor scratches which the half in the set has suffered some type of "issue" and is not gem.

This set is still very common and not worth cracking it out. I find what is nice about these sets is you can pass them around to others without to much concern of them getting damaged. I would leave it for future generations to admire.