• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I was looking forward to getting this one next year

14 posts in this topic

On 11/9/2023 at 7:25 PM, MorganMan said:

Good. Looks like Greta Thunberg! lol

Her only "crime," -- sorry if someone is offended, is being unphotogenic.

The Mint's "crime" is worse: introducing a "classic" coin, whetting the appetites of collectors with a design not many have familiarity with, and before all the precincts have tallied the votes, and called them in, pulling the offering.

The problem with the picks is you either love 'em or hate 'em.

On 11/8/2023 at 9:59 AM, rrantique said:

Maybe not in the Liberty program, but…

The first American silver dollar—the 1794 Flowing Hair dollar—was going to be the inspiration for the design of the next silver medal and high-relief gold coin, according to an October 24 U.S. Mint announcement. 

The Citizens Coinage Advisory Committee (CCAC) had been scheduled to review the design on October 24-25, but the group declined to do that, saying the designs were not modern depictions of Liberty. 

Then, on November 1, the mint announced that it had decided against using the Flowing Hair design for the next American Liberty issues. However, it plans to release them as a separate program celebrating the coin’s 230th anniversary in 2024. It appears that these plans still include a silver medal and gold coin—both of which can be issued without congressional authority. 

On 11/8/2023 at 11:17 PM, powermad5000 said:

Too bad they withdrew it. I think that is pretty cool! I'm not into the modern re-hash stuff but that is one that I think I would end up leaning to purchase.

If the original wasn't in high relief, not sure the recreation should be.  JMHO.

I purchased the 2009 Ultra High Relief Saint....but it's 27 MM not 34 MM (Saint diameter), which was one of the original intended sizes when Saint-Gaudens was creating mock models.  But because this coin was 99.99% gold and not 90% gold, the total size at all diameters was SMALLER so if they made it 34 mm it would have been really thin.

I wonder if they should have done a 90/10 alloy to allow for a larger size than what was sold and to match the original dimensions matching an MCMVII UHR.

Edited by GoldFinger1969

On 11/10/2023 at 1:50 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I wonder if they should have done a 90/10 alloy to allow for a larger size than what was sold and to match the original dimensions matching an MCMVII UHR.

The thing I wonder when these decisions are made is if that is purposely done so counterfeiters would not be able to easily modify the coin to make it reflect the older version? Maybe the Mint has to do that to avoid those type of situations once the coins are released? Maybe someone on here has an answer to that because I don't know for sure what the reasons are.

Like in the case of the SG, I think people today would still crack out the dough if they made it 99.99% gold AND made it 34mm with full thickness like the original. Just my opinion.

On 11/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

If the original wasn't in high relief, not sure the recreation should be.  JMHO.

I purchased the 2009 Ultra High Relief Saint....but it's 27 MM not 34 MM (Saint diameter), which was one of the original intended sizes when Saint-Gaudens was creating mock models.  But because this coin was 99.99% gold and not 90% gold, the total size at all diameters was SMALLER so if they made it 34 mm it would have been really thin.

Larger would have been better sticking to the original.

On 11/10/2023 at 2:50 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

Yes they should have and then the color would look right after a few decades 

Edited by numisport

To me that looks as if it was designed and  "engraved" total by computer. I see no artistry in it at all. But then again many Celtic and Anglo-Saxon coins have less than stellar artistry. so (shrug)