• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Deformed quarter
1 1

32 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.   

This common date and worn copper-nickel clad Washington quarter has been mutilated and is only worth face value.

Why did you think it had any collector value?

For a quarter with this much amount of mutilation, you may find some places not willing to take it. Even with this massive amount of damage it is worth 25 cents, but it is so damaged there are places that might not take it as it cannot be used in vending machines and other coin accepting payment machines. It might even cause damage by getting stuck inside self checkout machines so I would not throw it in one of those either. I would spend this as fast as possible at any open drawer cash register transaction that the merchant will accept it for payment.

I am not sure like @Sandon as to why you thought that a coin with this level of mutilation would have any value beyond face value.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:04 PM, dprince1138 said:

Right off hand, it appears that it was exposed to its melting point or a press of some kind.  Any dmg post minting does not add any value.

Also, welcome to the board, and ignore any bitterness from these old men.

Reported.

To the op @Wallygirl72455 the title of your thread calls this quarter deformed, which it is, what led you to think it has any value?   As has been said above damaged common coins seldom have any value over the face value.

On 11/6/2023 at 12:04 PM, dprince1138 said:

Right off hand, it appears that it was exposed to its melting point or a press of some kind.  Any dmg post minting does not add any value.

Also, welcome to the board, and ignore any bitterness from these old men.

This coin was not exposed to any heat of any kind. This statement above is unequivocally false. The coin shows no evidence of being exposed to high temperatures. This coin has been purposely defaced (most likely placed in a vise or hammered on edge) and/or was subjected in some manner to multiple hits, grinds, abrasions etc... post minting. It is barley still even useful as a .25c coin. It has no collector value.    

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/6/2023 at 3:10 PM, Greenstang said:

... what research the OP did to come to the conclusion that a damaged coin has value over face.

It may just be a layperson who watched too many clueless tuber click-bait vids and thinks there may be value in something that just looks different.

@Wallygirl72455 if you are interested in coin collecting and error coins let us know and we can point you in the right direction with some reputable resources.

Does it really make you want to help more when you see an ID that purports to be female? I have been observing and wondering about this for months. It wouldn’t surprise me if we were being played. 

On 11/6/2023 at 9:33 PM, cobymordet said:

I used to enjoy catching catfish.  Long John Silver's is so much less work

What is the difference between a lawyer and a catfish?

One is a bottom dwelling scum sucker and the other is a fish.

On 11/6/2023 at 10:02 PM, dprince1138 said:

Such a pain to fillet.

358092986_6672175056179114_344158277591643912_n.jpg

Catfish are, to me, just fundamentally inedible. But that doesn't stop eateries near me from serving it. Disgusting. Oh, and the lawyers, too. Alabama lawyers are THE MOST DISGUSTING on the planet. The judges are even worse.

Edited by VKurtB

Not being bitter here - you have a damaged coin that is worth 0.25 to someone who will take it.

I tell every fellow neophyte to NOT collect errors.  While you may think you are going to "strike it rich," your collection will likely just be littered with damaged pocket change coins that will ever only be worth face value.  Save yourself the frustration (and potential loss of money if you are putting coins in 2X2 holders in a binder).

On 11/6/2023 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

Does it really make you want to help more when you see an ID that purports to be female?

I was just thinking maybe the opposite is true, as least with this topic.  Where are the typical website and webpage references for errors, or links to topics with additional resources?  Or maybe some people occasionally just get tired of seeing the same damaged coin posts.  (shrug)

On 11/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

I was just thinking maybe the opposite is true, as least with this topic.  Where are the typical website and webpage references for errors, or links to topics with additional resources?  Or maybe some people occasionally just get tired of seeing the same damaged coin posts.  (shrug)

I think your last option is the correct one.

On 11/7/2023 at 4:58 PM, EagleRJO said:

Or maybe some people occasionally just get tired of seeing the same damaged coin posts.

I felt with the heavy amount of damage that seems to be not challenged or questioned, that it was not necessary to expound further.

A convenience store like 7-11 one or two at a time. (:

They are pretty bad and I have lots worse ones. I also got the metal detecting ones. Cash them I'd probably have $25. That'd buy me a decent coin. I probably got 10 lbs of this . I can only imagine how much money is out there not being used. Hardcore metal detecting people must have a literal ton of this stuff. The mint used to buy it but I think they stopped when covid hit. 

20231109_154310.jpg

I have always been under the impression that banks should accept all valid coinage.  I take "valid" to be both sides visible to some degree.  Bent coins and totally crapped out coins, maybe you might consider making an art project and sell it on etsy.  They buy anything.

Technically, the OP did not.  Most likely, based on the nearly countless one-off posts regarding an inquiry about a uniquely damaged coin, it is incorrectly assumed that the OP would think the coin held more value than face.  Unfortunately, it is common reaction that comes off a bit stand-offish.  In my opinion, the quarter may not even be accepted at face value due to its significantly deformed shape. 

On 11/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, Simple Collector said:

Where did the OP say anything about their coin being worth more than face value? 

Good point. There is a lot of assuming and jumping to hasty conclusions on this board -  and I am as guilty as anyone.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:41 PM, Wallygirl72455 said:

I was wanting to know the value of this deformed quarter looks like a 1967

The OP was asking for the value if this quarter in the head of the post.

On 11/9/2023 at 9:24 PM, Simple Collector said:

Where did the OP say anything about their coin being worth more than face value?

The OP did not say this but did ask the value of the coin they posted.