• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coin grading PSA
1 1

106 posts in this topic

On 11/6/2023 at 4:41 AM, dprince1138 said:

Thank you for the post bumps.

No answers to our questions , I guess........ Orson Welles  perhaps would say ..............There will be no reply's before there time . Oh well . I am more than happy to work with new members but if there are only posts and no reply's it is not much help. Sorry dprince1138

Edited by J P M

dprince1138:

... for reference of the coins that I have self graded, I have posted my ebay link

On 11/5/2023 at 9:02 PM, J P M said:

I think the OP is looking to resell these coins and using this forum for justification to ask for the higher prices

Yup, he is trying to drum up business to flip these garbage raw coins under the guise of a "PSA".  Posting where to find the ebay link quoted confirms that.

You can put lipstick on a pig, but you can't make a horse drink the cool-aid. ;)

Here is another coin (1880 Seated Liberty dime),  that I have graded as F (Fine).   

Obverse-
Face detail, such as eyes and mouth are visible, but somewhat weak.
The word "liberty" on the shield is visible, but somewhat weak. 
All of the lines on the shield are visible, but somewhat weak.
Wearing is even, but is becoming more pronounced.

Reverse-
All letters are easily readable.
Some kernel, wheat and ribbon detail are visible, but weak.
Wearing is even, but is becoming more pronounced.

(Also, this coin sold on ebay with a starting bid of $25, ending bid of $328, with 12 bidders).

Also, for comparison, is an PCGS rated coin.

seateddimeobverse1880.jpg

seateddimereverse1880.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 11/5/2023 at 9:02 AM, dprince1138 said:

Here is another coin (1858/8 O Seated Liberty half dollar) that I have graded as XF (extra\extremely fine).   Also, on occasion, there will be uneven wear on a particular section of a coin.   Generally, each grade will have a consideration for the eveness of wear.  Even though most areas of a coin may be of a particular grade, the uneveness would most likely reduce the grade of the coin.  Also, there is the unfortunate occasion when an improper cleaning is attempted and scratches are visible.  Many collectors will not clean coins, except for non-abrasive methods, such as soap and hot water to remove dirt and grease.

Obverse-
Face detail, such as eyes, mouth and nose are clearly visible, with good detail.
The word "liberty" on the shield is crisp and complete. 
All of the lines on the shield are crisp.
More detail in the hair and cap are visible.
Drape folds are complete and feet\sandal details are visible.
Wearing is even and only on the highest areas.
Denticles are visible and distinct.
Overall wear is very minimal.

Reverse-
All letters are easily readable.
All of the lines on the shield are crisp
Almost all feather demarcation is visible.
Denticles are visible and distinct.
Leaf veins and arrow spines are visible.
Overall wear is very minimal.

(for reference of the coins that I have self graded, I have posted my ebay link on the forum "Coin Marketplace", thread "Board Member = Ebay ID")

The tool for examination that I use is a jewelers loop (30x, 60x), purchased from Amazon.

Also, for comparison, is an NGC XF rated coin.

seatedhalfobverse1858s.jpg

seatedhalfreverse1858s.jpg

81BtUTMjmCL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

ngco.jpg

ngcr.jpg

ngcx.jpg

If you knew how stupid you sound trying to seem educated on coin grading you would be crawling in a dark hole right now and never coming out. PLEASE JUST STOP! YOU SOUND LIKE A MORE ON!

I have 2 simple questions for you @dprince1138 do you even have a registry, registry set or ANY actual graded coins? Also have you ever submitted ANY coin to a TPG service on your own? (Ill answer my own questions since I just asked them to make a point)The answer is: NO

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/3/2023 at 9:51 AM, Coinbuf said:

He is proudly showing off his harshly cleaned junk coin collection. ;)

I highly doubt he owns ANY of the coins he has posted and pontificated about. If he does actually own those coins he deserves every single one of them.

On 11/5/2023 at 8:02 PM, J P M said:

I think the OP is looking to resell these coins and using this forum for justification to ask for the higher prices. There is saying us old guys use a lot.

( You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear )

But how much lipstick CAN you put on a pig?

On 11/6/2023 at 1:06 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have 2 simple questions for you @dprince1138 do you even have a registry, registry set or ANY actual graded coins? Also have you ever submitted ANY coin to a TPG service on your own? (Ill answer my own questions since I just asked them to make a point)The answer is: NO

Registries are NOT a sign of an experienced numismatist. Sorry, they just aren’t. They may indicate one TYPE of numismatist, but certainly not MY type. When did registries start, and when did numismatics? I insist they are but one niche. 

On 11/6/2023 at 5:35 PM, VKurtB said:

Registries are NOT a sign of an experienced numismatist. Sorry, they just aren’t. They may indicate one TYPE of numismatist, but certainly not MY type. When did registries start, and when did numismatics? I insist they are but one niche. 

Where in my statement did I say that just having a registry is a sign of experience? This OP is trying to teach others about grading or having coins graded when it is plainly obvious he has no skills or knowledge of coin grading concepts, parameters or strategies.  

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/6/2023 at 7:42 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

Where in my statement did I say that just having a registry is a sign of experience? This OP is trying to teach others about grading or having coins graded when it is plainly obvious he has no skills or knowledge of coin grading concepts, parameters or strategies.  

True. It is fun to watch people go from knowing ABSOLUTELY nothing from starting to learn about one thing, and they get impressed with how far they've advanced. When the denominator is zero, the change is infinite.

Edited by VKurtB

I had mentioned that at higher grades the sub-classes become more important.  One reason for this, is that as the quality of structures reach a point of little to no wear, the level of mint luster is considered for grading.

Mint Luster (also known as cartwheel effect, mint bloom, and frost) on a coin's surface is the sheen, or reflective qualities, that are produced during the minting process. When a coin is struck, the metal flows from the center of the coin towards the outer edge. This process produces microscopic striations (very tiny parallel grooves) that reflect light back to the viewer in a unique crossing pattern. If you tilt the coin under a light, this crossing pattern will spin around the coin.  (see Morgan Dollar).

Here is a coin (1875 Seated Liberty dime), that I have graded as AU (Almost Uncirculated, which still has 50% of original mint luster).  There is only the barest of wear spots on the highest and most detailed areas.

(Also, this coin was sold on ebay, with a starting bid of $45, ending bid of $149, with 10 bidders)

Also, for comparison, is a Breen rated coin.

cartwheel-effect.jpg

seateddimeobverse1875s.jpg

seateddimereverse1875s.jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/6/2023 at 7:06 PM, dprince1138 said:

Also, for comparison, is a Breen rated coin

What exactly is a Breen rated coin? Walter Breen was a numismatic expert, prolific author and child sex offender. The Breen designation has nothing to do with the grading or "rating" it is merely a variety designation based on Mr Breens attributions of many many individual coins.. you are a more on.

Interestingly enough, I had to search for service rated coins that seemed to be of equal condition, at least from what I could tell.  I had originally considered the coin as XF+.

Also, many same and similar dates, of the same rating (AU50), are posted with a buy now of a much lower price.

Here are 2 of the first graded coins that I had come upon.  Perhaps sellers are putting coins in a jewel case from a different coin?  From what I could tell, gradings of AU50-58 seemed to vary quite a bit from coin to coin.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l500 (1).png

s-l500.png

s-l1600b.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

There seems to be different considerations when grading a coin.  The reference that I use indicates that there should be half of the mint luster at AU50, which is the lowest AU grade.  However, on other sources, there is the indication that the luster does not need to be considered until grading in the UNC range.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:44 PM, dprince1138 said:

There seems to be different considerations when grading a coin.  The reference that I use indicates that there should be half of the mint luster at AU50, which is the lowest AU grade.  However, on other sources, there is the indication that the luster does not need to be considered until grading in the UNC range.

I'm not proficient at grading, but I would guess that at AU-50 you have way less than half of remaining luster.  You might have that at AU-58. 

I think you can see some loss of luster in the low-60's.

On 11/7/2023 at 8:13 PM, GoldFinger1969 said:

I'm not proficient at grading, but I would guess that at AU-50 you have way less than half of remaining luster.  You might have that at AU-58. 

I think you can see some loss of luster in the low-60's.

That is what I had seen indicated on other sites\forums.

As mentioned, gradings below F (fine) begin to show considerable wear, especially below VG (very good).  Here is a coin (1884 Seated Liberty dime) that I have graded as G (good).

Obverse - 
While much of the detail has been worn, the major structures, e.g., liberty, flag, shield,
are easily identified and complete.
Some letters of the word "liberty" may be visible.
Some lower level area detail of the  drapes may be visible.
All rim letters and date are easily readable.
Coin edge may be worn.
Wearing is even, but heavy.

Reverse-
While much of the detail has been worn, the major structures, e.g., wreath, ribbon,
are easily identified and complete.
The words "One Dime" may be weak, but readable.
Coin edge may be worn.
Wearing is even, but heavy.

Also, for comparison, is an ANACS rated coin.

seateddime1884s.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

On 11/7/2023 at 8:20 PM, ldhair said:

Most on this site will say that anything that Mike and dprince post is questionable. They have much to learn and I hope this site will teach them that.

Apparently @dprince1138 is unable to read a reply to a remark in his post or he would not have reiterated the incorrect information. This thread needs to be shut down based upon its provision of inaccurate and incorrect information by the OP.