• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UNC seated liberty dime, except for the plants
1 1

15 posts in this topic

From what I can tell, it appears that 2 "plants" were soldered to liberty's base.  That is a first for me.

Also, the seller describes the coin as UNC, but it is not.  Many streaks and pits.  Perhaps improperly cleaned.  As well as some smoothing on the high detail areas.

il_1140xN.3209472007_hzzi.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

Agree a reverse photo would also be appropriate, but from just the obverse photo, the dentils just do not look right. They are incomplete and mushy. Also on a genuine 1840 Seated Liberty Dime, the vertical ribs in the shield are composed of three lines, not two as in the OP's photo. I call it a bona fide counterfeit. The photo below is from NGC CoinExplorer for your reference. ADD : I barely see the three lines in the OP's photo but this would not be the case on a genuine coin. Those shield details would all be struck as in the dime below and would have to be worn off.

5848026-004o.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

On 10/30/2023 at 1:34 PM, powermad5000 said:

Also on a genuine 1840 Seated Liberty Dime, the vertical ribs in the shield are composed of three lines, not two as in the OP's photo

It looks like there are three lines to me, or actually vertical ribs with a small space between them, like on the left or above the banner, with some of the areas on the op's coin obscured by wear, gunk or discoloration combined with a somewhat blurry photo.

I agree a bigger issue is the lettering on the shield being raised if that is in fact how it presents on the op's coin.

Edited by EagleRJO

@EagleRJO I had an ADD in my response that I can see three lines but one of the three in different parts of the shield is very weak which would not be the case on a genuine specimen. Weak lines next to strong ones in the vertical ribs of the shield are not typical of strikes on these coins.

On 11/1/2023 at 1:04 AM, dprince1138 said:

Reverse.  Seller asking $247.

samplr.png

How do you get the wreath and devices to pop when the field is all scratchy and edges of the coin are almost worn away?

This is the image provided by the seller on the item. 

It is very odd.  Perhaps whatever process was used to create the counterfiet had quality issues.  I have had the opposite issue, if I provide too much light at a direct angle for a photo.

Edited by dprince1138