• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1936 S Buffalo Nickel Take a look... Let's Discuss this coins toning...real or added?
2 2

12 posts in this topic

I have owned this coin for 15 years. It was not as prominently vibrantly toned as it is now but it did have these colors on it when I found it. IMO this is surface contamination that actually enhanced the coin. Environmental factors of the previous storage placement started this toning. The coin has black spots and gooey black eruptions as well as the wild double sided sunset toning. This leads me to believe the toning is natural or unassisted. Now I may be a bit partial because I just like the way the coin looks. So... can any of you debunk this as "natural" toning on this coin and why? I do not see an artificially toned coin. Prove me wrong please.

1936 S  Buffalo Nickel Sunset Toned 1.jpg

1936 S Buffalo Nickel Sunset Toned 2.jpg

Edited by Mike Meenderink
spelling

If everyone is entitled to an opinion, here's mine. If anyone were to go through all the trouble of toning a coin whose colors blend so subtly so as to make it virtually indistinguishable as to where it begins and ends, I absolutely reject the notion he would allow a black gooey substance (which can be eradicated with a modest application of Pepsi Cola) to mar an expression of his creative instinct. I believe what the viewer is gazing down upon is completely natural, inadvertent and unassisted. [As always, if I am proven wrong by a preponderance of the evidence wielded by anyone, I shall surrender my membership forthwith.]

On 10/29/2023 at 2:24 PM, Henri Charriere said:

If everyone is entitled to an opinion, here's mine. If anyone were to go through all the trouble of toning a coin whose colors blend so subtly so as to make it virtually indistinguishable as to where it begins and ends, I absolutely reject the notion he would allow a black gooey substance (which can be eradicated with a modest application of Pepsi Cola) to mar an expression of his creative instinct. I believe what the viewer is gazing down upon is completely natural, inadvertent and unassisted. [As always, if I am proven wrong by a preponderance of the evidence wielded by anyone, I shall surrender my membership forthwith.]

Fully noted as I am of the same opinion based upon the same theory. It's just to pretty to be faked and if it is it is EXCELLENT

I have seen a variety of tones on bust half dollars.  The tones do not seem to impact overall rating or worth.  Toning may be associated with oxidizing or some other chemical interaction.

Also, the common opinion seems to be leave coins in their natural state and to not clean them.

1824423-008-817451-1577982391.jpg

3643086-003-817330-1581092336.jpg

Edited by dprince1138

On 10/29/2023 at 6:17 PM, dprince1138 said:

I have seen a variety of tones on bust half dollars.  The tones do not seem to impact overall rating or worth.  Toning may be associated with oxidizing or some other chemical interaction.

Also, the common opinion seems to be leave coins in their natural state and to not clean them.

Thanks CAPTAIN OBVIOUS! And again you are still wrong coins can be MORE valuable when nicely or attractively toned. Please stop. I did not ask for you to post a coin here with some BS. Go Away

On 10/29/2023 at 9:17 PM, dprince1138 said:

I have to disagree with you about toning not affecting price. Ive seen coins with attractive toning bring very high premiums over coins with unattractive toning in the same grade range. As long as its natural and not artifical, a very attractive toned coin, depending on what it is, can fetch a hefty price. I mainly collect silver Washington quarters from 1932-1964. I search Ebay and other sites like that all the time looking for deals and my next addition. Ive seen quarters on those sites with very ugly black and brown toning on there for cheap prices that have been on there for over 2 years now with no buyers. Then Ive seen very attractively toned quarters get put on there and sell quickly for a hundred or more dollars than what they are priced for in the NGC price guide. Ive also seen coins artifically toned that greatly ruined the value of them.  Anyone who has collected for a while can tell you toning can greatly affect the value of a coin. 

On 10/29/2023 at 3:26 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I have owned this coin for 15 years. It was not as prominently vibrantly toned as it is now but it did have these colors on it when I found it. IMO this is surface contamination that actually enhanced the coin. Environmental factors of the previous storage placement started this toning. The coin has black spots and gooey black eruptions as well as the wild double sided sunset toning. This leads me to believe the toning is natural or unassisted. Now I may be a bit partial because I just like the way the coin looks. So... can any of you debunk this as "natural" toning on this coin and why? I do not see an artificially toned coin. Prove me wrong please.

1936 S  Buffalo Nickel Sunset Toned 1.jpg

1936 S Buffalo Nickel Sunset Toned 2.jpg

I think its natural toned also. I really like it. Do the spots look like anything that can be removed? Still a beautiful nickel. I love the colors those older nickels can tone. Ive seen some beauties. @Buffalo Head has some amazing toners in his collection. 

I had a feeling any straight forward black-and-white discussion on a coin exhibiting toning would descend into the maelstrom of likes, dislikes, and prices.  The OP only wants to know, is it, or isn't it, i.e., the toning -- and only the toning, natural?

Coins, as we know, are graded on strike, state of preservation (wear, or absence thereof) luster, color and overall eye appeal. Idiosyncrasies like errors (doubled-dies) three-legged bison, or even 1943 cents minted on copper planchetes all command added value, but like toning are descriptors which further identify a coin. They are not a part of the formal grade. If anything, they add or detract from a coin's appearance -- and value.  This, ideally, would be a topic which would appeal to resident Mad Scientists and chemists, not those who are aficionados of blast whites or psychdelics. 

I have not formed any opinion or plan to remediate this coin. I will assume the sulfer spots would be diminished from conservation but the actual spots would remain. Also I do not want to alter this process in any way. The coin is AU but would most likely be graded Details Corrosion due to the spots which are small holes in specific areas. The gooey sulfer/ contamination spots on this coin are problematic as well for grading. I'm just going to watch it change till I die. Cheers

Note:  May I gently remind all combatants that where the lords of the Chat Board append THE HAND ️  beneath a relatively new member's name, we are constrained to receive him or her with a more hospitable response. (No, I am no longer Guest Moderator.  I lost that prestigious honorarium under my old User Name.)  :hi: