• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bad sellers and sellers to avoid for those starting out

16 posts in this topic

I want to start this thread after an exchange with a seller on eBay. I hope this thread turns into a life of its own and a reference and resource for those just starting out as well as those who have been doing this for a long time. Maybe it can help curb some of the nonsense presently found, maybe not. Public listings on these sites that anybody can see should be allowed public comment.

#1 - Include the platform (eBay, Etsy, etc.)

#2 - Include the sellers name or username

#3 - Include a brief description of the item or reason you are putting them here.

**********No need for details and no personal names or addresses or contact information. This is just to be a simple list, not a public bashing session.**********

I will start.

Ebay seller holdem_51

1979 D Susan B Anthony dollar for $1,500 claiming it to be a proof strike in silver from the Charlotte mint.

You might not find this item listed any longer after a brief exchange with the seller and I was given a smart aleck response of it is none of my business.

Edited by powermad5000

Include 90%+ of ebay coin sellers for listing counterfeit, misrepresented, grossly overpriced and significantly overgraded coins. (:

And if you are just starting out avoid ebay like the plague for raw coins until you get very good at grading coins as well as identifying counterfeits and varieties.

Edited by EagleRJO

I've had great luck buying on ebay. Being a long time seller, great pictures, and feedback go a long way in my decision of whom to purchase from. 

I have seen some listings that are so ridiculous I don't understand how someone would fall for it.

Edited by Teddy R

I would never buy raw coins but I see nothing wrong with buying graded coins on eBay. Most dealers have acceptable prices. Of course then there are the crazy ones.¬¬

The first thing I would do is to buy a copy of this book. It's A Guide Book of United States Coins. It is known as the "Red Book" among collectors and dealers. This is 77th edition, and it has been issued annually since the mid 1940s. It provides a wealth of historical and collector information about U.S. coins from 1652 to the present. There are retail prices listed in it, but they are good on a relative basis only. Prices change for coins on a regular basis, and there are more timely guides. 

111NewRedBook.thumb.jpg.4ea5de9b307bab5f358c661819ba5034.jpg

If there is a local coin club in your area, you might try a meeting or two. You might meet other collectors who can help you. You best numismatic friend might be an honest, knowledgeable loca dealer. A good dealer can help you to learn. 

You might also buy a coin folder and start to fill it from pocket change. If you find that you have a desire to fill all of the holes, you might be cut out to be a collector. 

Please remember that this is primarily a hobby. Making money from coins is tough. You have to know how to grade them and be up on the prices. You also have to have to patience to hold on to them for a while. I have been a collector since 1960, when I was child. I have coins in my collection that have owned for 60 years. I am also still an active buyer, but all "for fun." I could sell my whole collection for a profit, but I've owned many of those coins for a long time, and I have taken "some shots" to learn the ropes. I was a dealer for about 15 years. 

If I can help you on-line, please contact me or post something. I don't come to this site often these days, but it would be fun I could have more interactions with some collectors. 

On 10/25/2023 at 1:16 PM, Teddy R said:

I have seen some listings that are so ridiculous I don't understand how someone would fall for it.

You obviously have not spent most of the last twenty years in the United States. If you had, you would surely understand how that could happen. Stupidity and ignorance are these bottomless wells of gullible brain death in our national culture, and there is no such thing as a scam so ridiculous no one would fall for it. In a developed and educated country, perhaps, that might apply; nowadays, ours is neither. Not only will people fall for it, but they will walk, crawl, or dive into any scam.

Any.

Edited by JKK

On 10/25/2023 at 4:16 PM, Teddy R said:

Besides counterfeits, the two that I think are very insidious that people fall for are (a) machine doubling represented as being valuable true hub doubling and (b) the 2007-2022 Presidential Golden Dollars, like the one linked above, which people can be fooled into thinking are old coins with worn pieces as the only dates struck on the faces are the years in office.  And as JKK noted there are some very gullible people.

On 10/25/2023 at 3:16 PM, Teddy R said:

Through the sellers misinformation and a buyers lack of knowledge. On the particular listing I started this thread out with, I don't know if you could make any more errors possible in the listing. Strictly meant to scam the unwitting. 

On 10/24/2023 at 3:22 PM, powermad5000 said:

1979 D Susan B Anthony dollar for $1,500 claiming it to be a proof strike in silver from the Charlotte mint.

Read that again and let it sink in for a minute.

On 10/29/2023 at 12:41 PM, JKK said:

You obviously have not spent most of the last twenty years in the United States. If you had, you would surely understand how that could happen. Stupidity and ignorance are these bottomless wells of gullible brain death in our national culture, and that there is no such thing as a scam so ridiculous no one would fall for it. In a developed and educated country, perhaps, that might apply; nowadays, ours is neither. Not only will people fall for it, but they will walk, crawl, or dive into any scam.

Any.

Sad but true.

The vast majority of the time I have had no issues.  Generally, on ebay, there is a 30 day return option. Also, as for ebay; number of transactions, feedback rating and longevity are good attributes for a trusted seller.

Also, in general, the creation of counterfeit silver coins has become a high art and has fooled many a collector.  If you would like to see some examples, go to etsy and search for "capped bust half dollars".  Besides the price there will be indicators of "silver plated", "copy", reproduction", etc.

Fake Silver Coins: 14 Ways to Spot Counterfeits - Silver Coins

This is the type of stuff I just don’t get. Do people buy things like this? I don’t know if the seller is good, bad or a little touched in the head but the price is just a bit steep. I do feel that if a buyer doesn’t take a minute and think about buying something like this then they deserve to own it. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134572724311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3FzRmuDwRkC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

On 10/29/2023 at 5:55 PM, Lem E said:

This is the type of stuff I just don’t get. Do people buy things like this? I don’t know if the seller is good, bad or a little touched in the head but the price is just a bit steep. I do feel that if a buyer doesn’t take a minute and think about buying something like this then they deserve to own it. 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/134572724311?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=3FzRmuDwRkC&sssrc=4429486&ssuid=j9LjZZhwTEm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Wow, ,,, the wording is correct. It has no mint mark and it is a post war coin. Oh my ....

On 10/29/2023 at 4:55 PM, Lem E said:

I don’t know if the seller is good, bad or a little touched in the head but the price is just a bit steep.

At least this one is offering a return policy so maybe just doesn't know what they are doing. Most of the real scammers have no returns so they can disappear with the money. Also when a scammer lists a coin for say $500 and someone who doesn't know anything comes along and makes a listing and says if that guy is going to get $500, I'll ask $525 for mine. Then you have a scammer and an uneducated. And it grows exponentially.

Edited by powermad5000