• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Read this BEFORE you waste your money submitting all the mint errors
2 2

29 posts in this topic

Welcome to the Chat Board

Agree with Mr. Bill on what he has stated.   
If you were to show a closeup of the area you think was Doubled, someone here will be able to verify it one
way or the other but my feeling is that it is NOT a DD. It would be very unusual to have only one letter doubled.  
Don’t forget also that a TPG usually only uses a 5X when checking for errors and if it is not listed in Variety Plus, then it is not recorded as such.
I think scopes do more harm than good as they bring out all the minor anomolies that are on a coin that many newer collectors think are errors.
Personally  if I can’t see an error without magnification, then it is too minor to have much value.  
It is only major errors that you can see without magnification that have much value. 

Edited by Greenstang
Typo

Sorry you had to learn the hard way Lucy.. Bill and Greenstang are correct. Most TPG do not recognize many of the items you asked for unless it is a very rare error. Now days any true error is very hard to find.  

On 10/20/2023 at 4:07 PM, lucy g said:

You can scope the image and look at it 100 times, but if it is not clear to the naked eye without magnification don't bother sending it in.

Exactly.

Searching for errors and minutiae is a black hole that is pulling time and resources away from you. 

Senders be aware please

Good post and very commendable to admit the mistake which maybe others can learn from.  Many would have likely just wanted to forget that.  And not only does an error have to be clearly visible at 5x, but it also has to be significant enough, which it sounds like you may have also encountered.

For example, die rotations between say 5 and 15 degrees would be considered an error as it's beyond typical mint tolerances.  However, those rotations are not very significant with no collector value, and NGC will only attribute a rotation of at least 15 degrees as an error.  And for NGC to attribute any variety, which also includes doubled dies, it needs to be listed on NGC VarietyPlus.  I don't see any doubled dies for a 2023 25C listed there or on other variety sites.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7765/learn-grading-mint-errors-part-1/

https://www.ngccoin.com/variety-plus/

https://www.error-ref.com/

Edited by EagleRJO

These are facts, not a rant.  I'm hoping new folks to submitting coins will read this first before wasting their time and money like I did.  I submitted 30 coins to NGC for mint error grading.  Finding a RPM, or a DDO or a DDR is not what it used to be.  You can scope the image and look at it 100 times, but if it is not clear to the naked eye without magnification don't bother sending it in.  None of my coins were marked with mint errors.  Even though you can SEE the error in their imaging, clear as day such as the doubled E in EC on the bessie coleman quarter as you see attached.  They won't explain why.  And when I called to dispute it, all the customer service representative could say to me was "the grader has it in their notes this is not a mint error".  And thats IT.  It can be plain as the nose on your face but they will not change it.   So you can waste upwards of $50+ for imaging and grading, for a .25 cent coin.  Senders be aware please.

Can I ask you, Lucy....

• How long have you been collecting ?
  • What made you submit the coins in the first place ?  Was it your 1st submission ?
  • Who told you that sending the coins in would likely verify your error coins as such and/or be a profitable investment ?

Welcome to the Forums.(thumbsu

@GoldFinger1969 : Note: the following was posted just after JB posted his his reply...

No need to cross-examine the witness; I shall take the liberty [as a registered interloper] to assume that task for you... as regarding the first line of inquiry, one need only scroll up and see The Waving Hand and a date indicating a membership of less than thirty days.  The advent of "error mania" starts at an early age.  Moving right along, submission is a rite of passage. Like getting your first driver license the only difference being in the draft card days, you would get a letter which opened with a pleasant, "Greetings."  I divide collectors -- fairly or unfairly -- as AS or BS, i.e., After Silver was removed from coinage, or Before Silver (when coins were real). Whether it was the OP's first submission is of no moment unless we knew what it was comprised of. Your last query is a tough one. One former member urged people to send in everything that went counter to the learned membership's advice acknowledging it would be "an expensive learning experience."  What little remains of my conscience would never permit me to do so and, in point of fact, that is where I, and the membership proper diverge philosophically.  The OP has indicated hers was a bulk submission.  Practically, this means the futility of possible error attribution was discovered immediately.  I would have returned the submission and reimbursed all monies expended minus for practical expenses such as return postage and insurance. Why? Simply because the OP did not get what she paid for.

Edited by Henri Charriere
Routine die-polishing.

The others have already stated this, but I will say it again in this thread as I have in other threads to once again try to drive the point home. DDO, DDR, and RPM are NOT mint errors. They are varieties. And not all varieties are recognized by all graders. Some do not recognize very minor varieties.

OP, please spend some hours looking at everything on the website error-ref.com to learn what are mint errors and what are not mint errors.

Also, there is a four part series on this website that teaches about mint errors. The following link is the first part in the series.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7765

Lucy. We have not seen the other side but I have to say. Getting a 67 on that coin was a gift . It has lots of hits and a scratch that goes from two a clock to four a clock. I hope you have some more with good grades out of 30 coins.  

Edited by J P M

On 10/21/2023 at 8:01 AM, J P M said:

Lucy. We have not seen the other side but I have to say. Getting a 67 on that coin was a gift . It has lots of hits and a scratch that goes from two a clock to four a clock. I hope you have some more with good grades out of 30 coins.  

I bet that is a die crack from two o’clock to four. If that was a scratch, NGC would have body bagged that coin with no grade.

On 10/21/2023 at 9:41 AM, Simple Collector said:

I bet that is a die crack from two o’clock to four. If that was a scratch, NGC would have body bagged that coin with no grade.

I was looking at this shot on a close up and it just looks like a scratch skipping over the clouds. And the obverse is nothing special for a MS 67. It is a Top Pop https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/6863218-003/67/

Edited by J P M

I could be wrong...but it seems like I've seen more of these threads started by Newbies who swear they have some Mint error or rare attribute coin....in the last 6 months....then in the previous 6 years.

Definitely more than in 2020-21 during the height of Covid-19 Stay-At-Home.

Seems to me like there were more from the stay-at-home lock down period were people were so bored they were picking up new hobbies and going through pocket change.  Deffinely also significant spikes in prices at that time from people picking up the hobby.

On 10/22/2023 at 12:52 AM, EagleRJO said:

Seems to me like there were more from the stay-at-home lock down period were people were so bored they were picking up new hobbies and going through pocket change.  Deffinely also significant spikes in prices at that time from people picking up the hobby.

I don't recall it....we picked up oldtimers who had left or been inactive, but I don't recall all these "What is it worth ?" or "Is this a valuable penny" threads.  I could be wrong but it didn't stand out.

Whatever....xD

I completely forgot about this thread....and I have to say? Every one of you is right, and I deserved to be roasted :)  completely roasted like marshmallows at the camp site.  This is what happens when penny prissy pants wastes money and goes coin crazy thinking she found EVERY error in the world.  Never realizing what the coin world actually is or how to navigate through it.  Instead of posting this~  I should have stayed in my lane and done a lot more deep dive digging on submissions, errors, and what is what.  It is what it is, and I thank the contributors for all the extra suggestions.

~Penny prissy pants out!

United States Categories | VarietyPlus® | NGC

Also, I would recommend familiarizing yourself with typical die issues\varieties and to purchase a jeweler's loupe ($13 on Amazon is what I did) and study coins yourself.  Personally, I would only send in a coin that has a die variety that is too small to verify or that the rarity of the die variety is above a rating of 3, so as to have a professional grade label.  There are many types of potential issues, besides DDs or die cracks.

For example, I have a coin that I suspect has a date overpunch (89 over 1889), but the clue is too small for me to identify.  Also, I have a coin that I purchased that I suspect may be of a die variety with a rarity rating of 4 and if all the clues are present, then I swill send it to PCGS\NGC for grading.

Edited by dprince1138

On 11/13/2023 at 10:47 AM, dprince1138 said:

Personally, I would only send in a coin that has a die variety that is too small to verify

Reading is critical. You obviously did not read this entire thread. The OP lost a lot of money because there was nothing of significance on the coins. SMH!

On 11/13/2023 at 11:48 AM, VKurtB said:

DO NOT WASTE TIME LOOKING FOR MINOR ERRORS AND VARIETIES!

I still enjoy looking for minor issues and varieties while roll hunting, but I don't share them here or submit them.  And maybe one day I will find that diamond in the ruff, but that's okay if I don't because I'm not expecting to find that.  I know you don't roll hunt so it's not likely you could get that it is interesting looking to others.

On 11/13/2023 at 3:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

Personally, I would only send in a coin that has a die variety that is too small to verify

Then you would waste time and money, as grading services don't attribute varieties that are "too small to verify". "With few exceptions, NGC will not attribute die varieties that require greater than 5x magnification to be clearly recognizable." What is a Variety? | NGC (ngccoin.com).