• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 Kennedy Half dollar
1 1

13 posts in this topic

Hi all. I've been collecting coins for awhile now but ive never really found one I truly thought was an error coin. We just bought some half dollar rolls to see what we found and this was in there. I'm not even sure how to describe it but it looks like it has chips missing on all four sides of the obverse. Plus the date is almost running off the bottom of the coin. The reverse just looks crazy. Like the coin is separating. Finally, its extra shiny. Different than the other 1974s we found. Just curious if anyone can offer opinions on what this is. Thanks in advance. 

20231013_184507.jpg

20231013_184606.jpg

VideoCapture_20231013-184707.jpg

20231013_190618.jpg

20231013_190630.jpg

It almost appears plated to me and not properly plated and the four parts on the obverse were "fingers" to hold the coin while it was plated with whatever it was plated with.

Well to update, I soaked it in acetone for an hour and then overnight. It didnt change anything about it. 

On a side note, it really is awesome that there is a resource like this to help the unexperienced figure out the difference between damage and errors 

On 10/14/2023 at 9:50 PM, Bluegirl1013 said:

Well to update, I soaked it in acetone for an hour and then overnight. It didnt change anything about it. 

On a side note, it really is awesome that there is a resource like this to help the unexperienced figure out the difference between damage and errors 

I am sure those that gave response to you appreciate your kind words. They do an excellent job here trying to help everyone see that there is a great difference between damaged and error coins, especially when the majority of the folk here are into grading coins not error hunting. I might suggest that if you would like to experience an error coin hunting only website, visit Conecaonline.org then touch forum. You will see more PMD and MD coins than imaginable with an occasional true error find. GL 

Edited by R__Rash

On 10/15/2023 at 7:11 PM, VKurtB said:

It's pretty much ALL damage and EXTREMELY few are errors.

My new motto!!   That statement can apply to a wide variety of aspects in life!

On 10/15/2023 at 1:21 AM, R__Rash said:

I might suggest that if you would like to experience an error coin hunting only website, visit Conecaonline.org then touch forum. You will see more PMD and MD coins than imaginable with an occasional true error find.

If the op is truly interested in error coins I think it would be better to visit a site like Error-Ref.com, which has voluminous descriptions and examples of true error coins as well as good info on identifying non-error coins, than to spend more time looking at worn and damaged coins that people think might be errors.

I get my fill of seeing damaged coins where people are curious if they may be errors just reading through the posts on this forum. (:  And I think assuming what is observed on a coin is wear and damage unless shown to be something else is a good approach to take.

On 10/14/2023 at 11:50 PM, Bluegirl1013 said:

That's not surprising as if it appears to have a very hard clear coating of something over the coin it may be lacquer.  This was an (imo inappropriate) old school method sometimes used by collectors in an attempt to protect coins by reducing exposure to the elements, prior to encapsulation becoming popular.  I recall some posts about this coating from quite a while ago, and how just an acetone bath didn't remove it.

The TPG's are not very open on how they attempt to remove these coatings when a coin is conserved, but I imagine it would likely be some kind of paint thinner or stripper to initially loosen the hard coating followed by a long acetone soak.  But these are extremely flammable and therefore very dangerous to play around with, and not really worthwhile even considering for such a common coin.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/5789/NCS-coin-conservation-lacquer/

Edited by EagleRJO