• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post mint damage or should I have it looked at?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

I don’t see anything that couldn’t be PMD and wear. There might be a couple of die chips  
but hard to tell with reflection. Certainly not anything spending money to have looked at.

What specifically are you thinking may not be damage?

Posting cropped full pics of each side in focus is often needed to give complete answers.  See the following topic, which also has info on damage vs error and variety coins.

https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary/

When you post on this forum, please ask a question that identifies just what it is that you want to know about the coin. Otherwise, we have to guess. Additionally, please post cropped photos of the entirety of both sides of the coin, as well as any pertinent close-ups.

I'm guessing that you want to know about the clogged "W" in "New Hampshire".  This is likely the result of die chips, a minor anomaly that knowledgeable collectors regard as an example of poor quality control rather than a mint error. Such pieces usually carry no premium. 

What do you think about that lettering? I know that this coin doesn't have much of a history when it comes to double dies but could it possibly be one of the many types that occur? Ill send a better image. Camera sucks but the letters seem to have odd shapes all over the reverse. 

20231012_165155.jpg

20231012_180214.jpg

16971483043445385807058833634079.jpg

On 10/12/2023 at 3:06 PM, bgreaney25 said:

What do you think about that lettering? I know that this coin doesn't have much of a history when it comes to double dies but could it possibly be one of the many types that occur? Ill send a better image. Camera sucks but the letters seem to have odd shapes all over the reverse. 

Just a worn out die, there is no doubling on this coin.

Well that explains it. You're confused! I can probably help if you're able to follow...

"Down" is the direction that a person's grade will go in English Composition class when you use an ellipse after a period. 

(See Proper Usage Above)

It is also the direction in which one falls when one's mother drops her child on his head. Naturally; this occurs after her second bottle of Boone's Farm runs dry! That should be a familiar analogy; No? This should help any person to distinguish the reason a "newbie" is seeking information in a beginner's forum. In fact, I'm not really sure a quarter can actually go "down" in value? You must be referring to depreciation because that response could never be mistaken for sarcasm.

(For Proper Usage of Semicolons and Sarcam; Note the Response Above)

Can you spot the "errors" in this thread? And, sweet emoji by the way... 

20231012_182108.thumb.jpg.7cd5e349e167e7cb2e11673757f93231.jpg20231012_182108.thumb.jpg.7cd5e349e167e7cb2e11673757f93231.jpg

And thank you to all who are helping me to learn. I really enjoy the nuance and the history behind the coins I've been looking at. It really is an art and is a fascinating hoppy I hope to learn more about!

There is not a high possibility of doubled dies in the Mint process post 2000. Not that it cannot still happen but not as likely to happen and if it does, it is typically caught by collectors and becomes a known variety. The Mint had transitioned to a single-hub process around that time. Without getting too technical for a newbie, dies used to be made by several presses of the hub to create the working die. If either the hub or the die shifted slightly, the second impression would create a second shifted identical image onto the working die and if not caught by a mint employee, coins would begin to be struck with the doubled image. Modern dies are made from a single hub impression which eliminates the possibility of a doubled die. Now it can only occur if there is poor quality control to keep the hubs and dies stable during the process.

I believe on your coin you may have a die chip in the W of NEW, as well as the coin being struck from late stage dies (worn) which also causes the lettering and some details to be "mushy" and not crisp in appearance. Worn dies can also affect the appearance of incuse lettering as in OLD MAN OF THE MOUNTAIN and cause it to have a sloppy appearance. The Mint even in modern times is still guilty of overusing dies to strike coins as there is cost involved every time a new set of dies needs to be made and the presses reset so they typically use dies until they start to break. This explains how die chips commonly affect images in modern coinage.

I was unable to locate any 2000 P New Hampshire DDO or DDR in either NGC VarietyPlus, or VarietyVista so I believe there are no DDR's for this coin. 

On 10/13/2023 at 12:29 AM, EagleRJO said:

The is a DDO for the 2000-P NH 25C, but it just involves doubling at the ear not the lettering.

Why then does it not show in VarietyVista or NGC? This is the problem when it comes to these minor doubled varieties. It all depends on who wishes to recognize the variety and not all of the experts do. There is a need for consensus and an umbrella statement that minor varieties will not be recognized or listed anywhere.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:13 AM, powermad5000 said:

Why then does it not show in VarietyVista or NGC?

NGC VarietyPlus only lists doubled dies they will attribute, and the one I noted is minor as I think many of the modern doubled dies are.

I usually check both VarietyVista.com and DoubledDie.com  as between them you can usually find any listed DD.