• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help please with value??
2 2

19 posts in this topic

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

Your coin is a lightly circulated 1966 Kennedy half dollar, which is very common, about 109 million having been made, and not of much interest to all but beginning collectors in this condition. However, it is a "silver clad" coin with a net 40% silver content of 0.1479 troy ounce of silver, which is worth $3.24 at today's silver price.  See U.S. Silver Coin Melt Values | Silver Dollar Melt Value | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Dealers usually buy these coins at a small discount to the silver value.

On 10/10/2023 at 10:53 PM, powermad5000 said:

On a really really good day, in the exactly right place, with the right buyer present at the time, you MIGHT be able to get $5 for it.

Maybe at the MSA (More Rons' Society of America) convention. Then again, to go by Wang dang, maybe they already frequent this site.

Edited by JKK

Its nice to see that someone is interested in getting a hobby. I love seeing that they are requesting help from experienced collectors only to be made fun of? I don't see the humor in your non humble answer but that the sarcasm screams of that of maybe a narcissist! Im sure at some point in your start of coin collecting you had many questions as well. Id only pray you had gotten a much nicer more accurate answer. Im new at this as well i have been collecting for about 5yrs and have asked very few questions in fear of answers like yours. But the bottom line is your doing a injustice to the coin collecting community. 1st by being rude and 2nd you may be making a new collector afraid to post a question and they may have a coin someone was seeking. I should hope their are collectors on this website with a bit more class and appreciation for the hobby.

On 10/10/2023 at 7:38 PM, Joshk1990 said:

20231011_002459.thumb.jpg.b55e03d4b5645c66749af4548585c6db.jpg20231011_002525.thumb.jpg.b96428188b7df1f9e0a0ac882a069ac1.jpg

I’m fairly certain josh (the OP) got an answer for the request. I see nothing in the responses that should be taken personally, the responses were of the coin not the poster. You can’t let the two meld together. The sarcasm is meant in humor and from an understanding of the processes. 
so josh keep sending in the ? value questions if you got ‘em. I know in the end of all responding, you will have your factual answer, most responses here extending from the knowledge of years of experience. Learn from all responses.
I would suggest also that you utilize the NGC Price Guide under the resources tab for further verification.

Edited by R__Rash

@Jgirl76, please keep in mind that on this forum we routinely get presented severely damaged coins that the OP's who start threads about them on here strongly believe they have a coin worth thousands of dollars and even after dozens of highly educated, expert, and decades long collectors tell them what they have, they become indignant and tell everyone who responded that we are flat out wrong.

If you believe my response to the OP was sarcastic, it was not. I answered the OP's question. While it may be a long shot, if the OP posted this coin on eBay for a long enough period of time for $5, he might actually end up getting a buyer that gives him $5 for it. My answer was the honest truth to the OP's question.

I am all for people coming into the hobby. If you read my answers in other threads, you will hear me repeat that there are no stupid questions. I answer questions to the best of my ability, and while I may not know everything, after 45+ years of collecting and 10+ years of submitting coins to TPG's (specifically NGC), I know quite a bit and since I did not limit myself to just one particular coin type or series, I know quite a bit about most of the series the Mint has produced since 1793 as I own an umbrella of different series and each has their own nuances.

I will say, when I began, I did not get nice answers from the local coin dealers. There was no internet at the time I began to ask others questions and I was limited to my range of travel. Most of the area dealers were jerks. Especially going into James and Sons (yes, I am calling them out from 40 years ago). When I walked into there with my 1808 8 Reales, with my certificate of authenticity to go with it, and was told it was a replica and he would give me $5 for it, what a ripoff that would have been. He then would have turned around and put it in his case for $120. My point of this part of my response is that different opinions are necessary to develop critical thinking in ones self. And while some responses do come with degrees of sarcasm and yes, there are even some who get nasty, it should cause one to think to themself why they got such a response and learn from it (especially from online keyboard warriors who would not say the same thing in a face to face situation). 

On 10/11/2023 at 12:53 AM, powermad5000 said:

On a really really good day, in the exactly right place, with the right buyer present at the time, you MIGHT be able to get $5 for it.

On 10/11/2023 at 11:42 AM, powermad5000 said:

While it may be a long shot, if the OP posted this coin on eBay for a long enough period of time for $5, he might actually end up getting a buyer that gives him $5 for it.

LOL, I'm thinking it was maybe the second "really", then "exactly" and finally "MIGHT" in the first post that MIGHT be a bit overt.

Well, I apologize for having to put stressors in the comment, because if I didn't and the OP keeps trying to sell it for $5 and keeps finding nobody who will give him that for it, then powermad5000 becomes the jerk because HE said I could get $5 for it. Make sense?

I have put a few coins on eBay with higher asking prices and some took two to three years to sell. It is possible.

Edited by powermad5000

On 10/11/2023 at 11:30 AM, cobymordet said:

Powermad5000 - I'm just joshin' ya! - I'm workin' on my sarcasm.  Ima tryin' to make VKurtB proud!

Hopefully the OP, Josh isn’t offended by this pun or stretch/play of the Id used in their post? (joshin ?) or take it as neg accusation of intent.  🤔

it will be interesting to hear @Joshk1990‘s response to all of this. I for one vote that it will be, “all is good”

The first three responses told the OP everything they needed.  This coin is worth melt, because it is not in collectible shape.  Does that mean that the OP cannot collect coins in this condition?  No.  He certainly can, but most will not - so that is what it is "worth" (which was the question).  The answer was provided with details around the spot price of silver (the $3.24 number) and what premium anyone may pay above spot (the $5 number).  What is it worth? $3.24 - $5.  I don't think its mean at all... it's the answer.

im sorry if im a little sensitive but in my heart i always thought that sarcasm and laughter at ones hopes of any good find in any hobby discourages people from continuing the quest of their hobby or interest. My intention was not to offend or make anyone upset. But rather comfort the poster with a little positivity from a standpoint of being a new collector as well. And also to see the responses of people who can understand my point of a person who may be very sensitive. And how it effects people of all stands thick skin and not so thick. Im all for sarcasm just think its all in the delivery of it is all that's what chooses how one can perceive the tone of the writers sarcasm. In any event thank you all for all mixed answers and replies to my comment, all replies are being processed in my brain and im able to see their are many on here, and  also great resources from the site, that a legitimate answer can be found with some nice and harsh humour involved but all in good fun. With the exception of a few. But none on this thread. Have a blessed day all.