• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What does it mean when a almost hole is in your coin?
2 2

24 posts in this topic

This is not an error, but damage.  This is known by looking closely at the coin.  First, around the indentation, I see displaced metal.  This would not be the case if it were a strikethrough.  Second, I can see damage to the obverse under the "L" in "Liberty".  This means that the indentation was caused after the strike.

Add them both = Post Mint Damage.

RE: "What does it mean when a almost hole is in your coin?"

Erin33 --- OK what do you think it means? What's reasonable? Logical? What makes the most sense? How does this compare to other things with "a almost hole?"  ;)

On 10/10/2023 at 2:49 PM, Greenstang said:

It has been struck by something. PMD

In the future, please do not use screen shots, they are too pixilated to see fine detail.

Those aren’t screen shots..lol

On 10/10/2023 at 4:53 PM, cobymordet said:

Erin,  You may want to spend some time reading into many of the links offered in the Basic Resources & Glossary.  Regarding aspects of a coin that may look like an "error", check this website out: https://www.error-ref.com/part_xi_-_non_errors/    It will help you to adjust your visual queues when inspecting coins.  All of the links provided in that chat forum, are quite helpful, I refer to them quite often. 

image.png.1fa1efdc58f30793bebe453bfe310a8f.png

Had no idea this existed..thanks.

On 10/10/2023 at 5:54 PM, Sandon said:

This 1874 three cent nickel ... shows a strikethrough above the point of Liberty's coronet. Note that no jagged or raised metal appears around the edges of the depression, and the inside of the depression is mostly smooth. Additionally, there is no matching disturbance on the lower reverse opposite the strikethrough, which would be at the right side of the ribbon.

It's hard to tell if the op's coin shows raised metal around the hit since the pics are blurry, but there clearly is a corresponding dent on the opposite side of the coin indicative of post mint damage.

On that nickel 1874 three cent piece the depressed area looks a little jagged and seems to go slightly under the point of the coronet, so perhaps that could that be a planchet flaw with a small area that chipped off.  It gets a little blurry when I zoom in.

On 10/11/2023 at 4:53 PM, EagleRJO said:

On that nickel 1874 three cent piece the depressed area looks a little jagged and seems to go slightly under the point of the coronet, so perhaps that could that be a planchet flaw with a small area that chipped off. 

Although it's hard to see in the photo, the inside of the depression is bright and lustrous down to the bottom, indicating that the striking of pressure created the depression. This would result from a strikethrough, not a planchet flaw. It really doesn't extend beyond the field.

This coin looks like it was shot with either a pellet gun, bb gun or 22 caliber rifle. The projectile likley impacted the coin and sent it flying so the projectile did not fully penetrate the coin it just made a perfect indent. IMO PMD 

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 10/12/2023 at 2:53 AM, Modwriter said:

Is it for sale?

I have seen this same comment in several recent threads now about potentially damaged coins.  Are you looking to buy these coins, or simply wondering if the coins are being offered for sale?

On 10/11/2023 at 7:22 PM, Sandon said:

Although it's hard to see in the photo, the inside of the depression is bright and lustrous down to the bottom, indicating that the striking of pressure created the depression. This would result from a strikethrough, not a planchet flaw. It really doesn't extend beyond the field.

Is that 1874 3CN a coin you purchased and have in-hand?  Even the high resolution pics from the SB listing archives and NGC certification are not clear if it's a completely smooth depression and seem to show some unevenness at the bottom, although this could just be shadows.

And it appears to be a very unusual jagged shape for which I can't imagine what ended up on the dies that could have been struck through to produce a completely smooth base of that shape and which didn't have any apparent effect on the point of the coronet.

More out of curiosity as it's strangely not labeled by NGC as having an error, and either a struck-through or planchet flaw would both be mint errors.

https://auctions.stacksbowers.com/lots/view/3-11ADMA/1874-nickel-three-cent-piece-ms-64-ngc

https://www.ngccoin.com/certlookup/1976472-001/64/

1874 3CN Depression.jpg

On 10/13/2023 at 10:00 AM, EagleRJO said:

I have seen this same comment in several recent threads now about potentially damaged coins.  Are you looking to buy these coins, or simply wondering if the coins are being offered for sale?

I am looking to buy @Erin33's quarter if it is for sale for my junk collection.

On 10/13/2023 at 2:00 PM, Modwriter said:

I am looking to buy @Erin33's quarter if it is for sale for my junk collection.

Why not make your own or wait for one to show up in pocket change. ;)

Buying or placing value above face on a damaged common coin like this is a slippery slope, it leads to misconception and confusion with new collectors. 

On 10/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

Is that 1874 3CN a coin you purchased and have in-hand?  Even the high resolution pics from the SB listing archives and NGC certification are not clear if it's a completely smooth depression and seem to show some unevenness at the bottom, although this could just be shadows.

When I have a chance, I will take some of my own photos of this coin and post them on my "Three Cent Nickels" topic on the U.S., World, and Ancient Coins forum. There are many anomalies on coins of this type, though not as often on coins dated after 1870 as on the earlier, higher mintage dates. 

On 10/13/2023 at 11:32 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

Why not make your own or wait for one to show up in pocket change. ;)

Buying or placing value above face on a damaged common coin like this is a slippery slope, it leads to misconception and confusion with new collectors. 

Thanks. I now see that my collecting junk coins can lead to misconception and confusion with new collectors and will not ask if their junk coin is for sale from now on. Yes, my junk collection has come from my pocket change. No fun in making my own. I do buy graded coins at auction, usually in the MS65-66 range, but have a fascination with low ball sets.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:27 PM, Modwriter said:

... a fascination with low ball sets

Yes, a very interesting collecting style which has an impact on the lower end prices sometimes.  With some coins I was following or bidding on I sometimes saw a jump upwards in prices at the lowest end of the available grades which completely baffled me until I found out about "low ball" sets.

On 10/13/2023 at 3:09 PM, Sandon said:

When I have a chance, I will take some of my own photos of this coin ...

I suspected you had this coin in-hand as the available pics didn't seem conclusive or appeared counterintuitive to a strike through, and you are rarely off base when opining definitively.

I am still pondering what could be struck through to produce a smooth depression in that shape, and I assume the appearance that the depressed area slightly encompases the coronet point is just an optical illusion or more shadows.

Perhaps a piece of rounded metal from the machines broke off and ended up with the broken surface flatwise against the obverse [anvil?] die and with the edge right at the tip of the coronet?

Edited by EagleRJO

On 10/13/2023 at 12:46 PM, EagleRJO said:

Yes, a very interesting collecting style which has an impact on the lower end prices sometimes.  With some coins I was following or bidding on I sometimes saw a jump upwards in prices at the lowest end of the available grades which completely baffled me until I found out about "low ball" sets.

Yes, somebody started a low ball thread awhile back that got me interested in them. I am working on a Seated Liberty Quarter P01 set. The P01 coins can be quite pricey and I haven't seen them at auction yet, but selling on eBay.

I do have an 1865 3CN with a Retained Die break. Unfortunately it is an Unc Details coin because it was cleaned. It could be possible a die fragment broke off and got in the strike but came out after the dies lifted. I know there seem to be less cracked dies and clashed dies from about 1869 and moving forward, but this series seems to have been plagued with die issues throughout.

On 10/13/2023 at 11:11 PM, powermad5000 said:

I do have an 1865 3CN with a Retained Die break. Unfortunately it is an Unc Details coin because it was cleaned. It could be possible a die fragment broke off and got in the strike but came out after the dies lifted. I know there seem to be less cracked dies and clashed dies from about 1869 and moving forward, but this series seems to have been plagued with die issues throughout.

It could be a hardened piece of grease . A strike through can be a one time thing a lot of times it is gone after the first hit .   

On 10/13/2023 at 3:42 PM, Modwriter said:

Yes, somebody started a low ball thread awhile back that got me interested in them. I am working on a Seated Liberty Quarter P01 set. The P01 coins can be quite pricey and I haven't seen them at auction yet, but selling on eBay.

Hi sorry for the late reply..I just found the coin it’s never been submitted..but I would like to submit it hun. Thanks for asking though.

On 10/18/2023 at 11:20 AM, Erin33 said:

Hi sorry for the late reply..I just found the coin it’s never been submitted..but I would like to submit it hun. Thanks for asking though.

I would NOT submit your quarter. It may come back with a DETAILS Damaged designation, and would not be a good investment.