• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1943-D/D Steel Cent - Roll Hunt Find
1 1

4 posts in this topic

Found this guy roll hunting; almost tossed it in the steel pile but the buildup around the righthand loop of the "D" caught my eye; didn't even realize there was an RPM error for the 1943-Ds. 

Any thoughts? I know it's not the strongest case but pictures 3 and 4 are identical with the exception of 3 having an exact sized box overlayed around the traced RPM.

Screen Shot 2023-10-09 at 12.20.08 AM.jpg

DD_closeup1.JPG

D_boxed_and_outlined.jpeg

D_no_box_no_outline.JPG

DD_closeup3.JPG

Edited by DedKatCollections
Corrected picture order

Hello and welcome!

The draw boxes in your photo would be for the FS-501 (or maybe FS-513) variety of which I will include a photo of from NGC's VarietyPlus page. While this may be more evident on the coin while it is in hand, I am not so sure it is this variety from the photos provided and also with the level of corrosion present on the sample in this thread that I am not looking at corrosion that has bubbled up around the mintmark. I just cannot say for sure. On Variety Vista, this variety has a die marker with the coin having a long die scratch from the last T in TRUST to the rim at the 3 o clock position that I also do not see on your first image.

I know the FS-501 is not a common variety. Of the 16.360 total 1943 D Steel Cents that NGC has graded, only 48 were graded as the FS-501 variety. I found none graded as FS-501 graded as details grades as I could only think that surface corrosion makes the little details necessary to determine the variety to be unable to be determined by surface factors.

Maybe you could provide some photos with a degree of magnification as to what you are seeing so we can see the same thing. I am just not sure what you have is a D/D. Also, by the way, any RPM is NOT an error but rather a variety. Here is the photo from NGC's VarietyPlus page.

815596-1.jpg

Edited by powermad5000

The known PRM's for a 1943-D 1C can be found at the following link ...

http://www.varietyvista.com/02a LC RPMs Vol 1/RPMs 1943D.htm

The coin is worn with environmental damage so I don't think you would really be able to clearly see signs of a mark being re-punched, let alone the other indicators needed to attribute that.

What you highlighted in red would be for a RPM-001 FS-501 like the attached.  Perhaps you saw this RPM somewhere and mistook a stain or schmutz for a part of the RRM.  As Greenstang noted the mint mark on your coin is too high up in order to be a match with the FS-501.

1943-D RPM-001 FS-501.jpg