• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Specimens Only: Post your SP coins here.
2 2

52 posts in this topic

On 10/31/2023 at 8:09 PM, J P M said:

2017 ANA.jpg

2017 ANA reverse.jpg

[Would you be so kind as to state unequivocally, that each of the steps are visually discernable and observable, and whether they are of the 5- or 6-step variety.  Tks!]

On 9/27/2023 at 2:00 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

SP designated coins are an area where I have very limited numismatic knowledge.  In my mind they are "enhanced" business strikes and/or pseudo-proofs, SMS coins, etc....

1878-S Specimen Morgan Dollar, graded NGC SP 64

"Enhanced" business strikes?  I don't know which sounds worse, qualifying a term whose etymology I challenge anyone to trace, or characterizing, of all things, one of the first coins minted of the first year of its series as a "Presentation Piece," despite exhibiting severe PMD on its obverse.

Is the above coin, whether SP or not, something you would feel comfortable presenting to someone, whether a close colleague or official dignitary?  No, never!  However the coin was iredeemably damaged, it no longer is what it once was. It is now a common, circulation strike coin. It is not enhanced.  If anything, it is grossly degraded and certification would be appropriate if it were intended as a gift to the submitter's worst enemy.

To my knowledge, and some accelerated finger-scrolling, the coin posted above is the first of foreign origin.

Generally speaking, unless you have an intimate familiarity with overseas coins and the grading scales they use, this coin, having been certified by experienced NGC graders as an SP-68, must be deemed above reproach, unless specific information suggests otherwise. SP is a fine example of a coin which denotes varying standards in different countries.

On 2/24/2024 at 5:46 PM, Henri Charriere said:

To my knowledge, and some accelerated finger-scrolling, the coin posted above is the first of foreign origin.

Generally speaking, unless you have an intimate familiarity with overseas coins and the grading scales they use, this coin, having been certified by experienced NGC graders as an SP-68, must be deemed above reproach, unless specific information suggests otherwise. SP is a fine example of a coin which denotes varying standards in different countries.

Well... First, "the grading scales they (S. Korea) use..."  The issue is that the Koreans do NOT have grading scales for their coins. If they ever did, I have not heard about it, and in my interactions with the Korean collector/investor community, I have never heard of such a thing.   They simply use a "sort of" version of U.S. (ANA?) grading standards when grading raw coins and rely HEAVILY on the grading services provided by NGC for high-value coins.  The third-party grading companies have loomed large in the South Korean numismatic market at a level not often seen in countries outside of North America.   The big auction house in Korea, Hwadong, is an NGC submission center.  Other grading services are accepted by dealers/collectors in Korea, but NGC has cornered the market there for sure. 

I believe this coin is an SP grade since it was made for a "special" coin set for the Bank of Korea's 50th Anniversary.  The surfaces appear "matte proof."  Later, similar "special" Bank of Korea coin sets issued from 2001 to 2004 were given PF grades when submitted to NGC.

There has been a brouhaha brewing on the Forum now for some time as regarding the designation: SP.  At issue were U.S. coins, exclusively.  The intent of my interception was to head things off at the pass and alert the membership that with your coin we were now in uncharted waters where the usual descriptors to not apply.  I am frankly delighted to hear South Korea has chosen NGC to grade their coins for owners, collectors, prospective buyers, sellers, dealers and auction houses.

The term SP has a specific narrow definition in France, Germany and Spain that deviates significantly from the Sheldon scale adopted by the United States.

I thank you for the courtesy of your reply and encourage you in your pursuit of coins in your area of interest.  (thumbsu

On 2/25/2024 at 7:54 PM, Henri Charriere said:

There has been a brouhaha brewing on the Forum now for some time as regarding the designation: SP.  At issue were U.S. coins, exclusively.  The intent of my interception was to head things off at the pass and alert the membership that with your coin we were now in uncharted waters where the usual descriptors to not apply.  I am frankly delighted to hear South Korea has chosen NGC to grade their coins for owners, collectors, prospective buyers, sellers, dealers and auction houses.

The term SP has a specific narrow definition in France, Germany and Spain that deviates significantly from the Sheldon scale adopted by the United States.

I thank you for the courtesy of your reply and encourage you in your pursuit of coins in your area of interest.  (thumbsu

Well, I think this summarizes the designation SP, which appears to me to be a description of the SURFACES of a coin: 
Specimen (SP): A coin that falls short of the definition for an actual Proof yet is clearly superior to the normal currency issues. SP applies to a variety of finishes that are distinct from the appearance of circulation issues but do not fit any of the Proof categories.

If it's a World Coin, so be it...  Just my two cents.  

On 2/25/2024 at 9:12 PM, mlovmo said:

Well, I think this summarizes the designation SP, which appears to me to be a description of the SURFACES of a coin: 
Specimen (SP): A coin that falls short of the definition for an actual Proof yet is clearly superior to the normal currency issues. SP applies to a variety of finishes that are distinct from the appearance of circulation issues but do not fit any of the Proof categories.

If it's a World Coin, so be it...  Just my two cents.  

...dont get locked in on comparing SP to Proof, the subject is much broader than just that simple definition which only encompasses a narrow slice of coin production processes n intent...its not like a one size fits all definition....

On 2/26/2024 at 8:33 AM, zadok said:

...dont get locked in on comparing SP to Proof, the subject is much broader than just that simple definition which only encompasses a narrow slice of coin production processes n intent...its not like a one size fits all definition....

Okay, I have no doubt that what you say is true.   Actually, I had no idea how the coins from this 2000 Bank of Korea set would come back from NGC.  Somebody told me to put "SP" on the form, so I did and the coin came back in the holder as you see above.   I just got my definition of "SP" from here (https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7708/learn-grading-sp-and-pl-prefixes/)

I don't have a dog in this fight...

On 2/26/2024 at 6:19 PM, mlovmo said:

.... I don't have a dog in this fight...

Neither do I, but SP is an honorable grade.  I see no harm in deferring to NGC on this one.

On 2/26/2024 at 6:19 PM, mlovmo said:

....   I just got my definition of "SP" from here (https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/7708/learn-grading-sp-and-pl-prefixes/)

I don't have a dog in this fight...

Reconsideration...

Actually, you may have a dog in this fight.  I can think of one plausible explanation for acceptance of an SP term and that is at it relates to World coins. Some countries use SP as an abbreviated form of a word in their language which would correspond to an adjectival grade used by numismatists here.  This is the case of three-letter descriptors used by France (SPLendide) and Italy (SPLendido) to embrace a range of grades, commonly rendered as the abbreviated "SP" on encapsulations. I merely suggest a possible explanation.