• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect 70's
2 2

59 posts in this topic

On 10/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Conder101 said:

In many, if not all cases, the milk spots developed or became visible after the coins were slabbed.

Do you think the NGC guarantee would apply to these white spotted coins ? Are they still Pf 70 with these spots ?

On 11/23/2023 at 11:57 AM, numisport said:

Do you think the NGC guarantee would apply to these white spotted coins ? Are they still Pf 70 with these spots ?

If you leave it in the slab, it is a 70 . ;) No one will guarantee against milk spots that I know of. 

On 11/24/2023 at 8:18 AM, J P M said:

If you leave it in the slab, it is a 70 . ;) No one will guarantee against milk spots that I know of. 

Is there any conjecture as to why they would happen so long after being holdered ?  I could understand developing milk spots 1 or 2 years after being holdered as it might be a slow chemical process....but what about coins holdered for 20 years staying pristine and then suddenly turning ?

On 11/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, J P M said:

2018 S RP +.jpg

2018 S RP Reverse +.jpg

I haven't purchased any of these yet. They are so new that I have no freakin idea how to grade them raw. I've still just barley seen maybe 5 of these reverse proof coins in person. I think I will have to buy a comparison coin already graded prior to buying any raw for possible grading. Its a very sharp coin in reverse proof.

Edited by Mike Meenderink

On 11/27/2023 at 7:40 PM, Mike Meenderink said:

I haven't purchased any of these yet. They are so new that I have no freakin idea how to grade them raw. I've still just barley seen maybe 5 of these reverse proof coins in person. I think I will have to buy a comparison coin already graded prior to buying any raw for possible grading. Its a very sharp coin in reverse proof.

The reverse proof is not something that you would see raw very much. I think they are too uncommon. They came out for 2018 the anniversary year in different denominations.

SGS... Special Grading Service?  

[I believe there is either a home remedy or commercial cleaner that can be used to safely restore the holder much the way one would an automobile's head lamps for clear visibility.] 

On 2/20/2024 at 3:01 PM, Henri Charriere said:

SGS... Special Grading Service?  

[I believe there is either a home remedy or commercial cleaner that can be used to safely restore the holder much the way one would an automobile's head lamps for clear visibility.] 

Thanks I'll check that out. Will it work on the coin too if I crack it out?

On 2/20/2024 at 4:04 PM, Errorists said:

Will it work on the coin too if I crack it out?

I certainly wouldn't try it, as it is likely to damage the coin. The reference is to a clear plastic cleaner and polish such as Meguiar's PlastX, which is most commonly used to clarify automobile headlights, and which can be used on other clear hard plastics such as grading service holders to reduce dullness and minor scuffs. 

While a "70" grade awarded by a "basement slabber" such as SGS isn't of any real significance, those given by top tier graders such as NGC are supposed to be. NGC graded this 1998-S silver proof dime PF 70. Two tiny ticks can just be seen on Roosevelt's face under the 5x magnification, at which NGC claims the coin should appear flawless, although they don't show on the photos. I have yet to see any coin that I could describe as flawless.

1998-Sproofsilverdimeobv..thumb.jpg.8557ce76b0bff34bf6555dcdb0d2da9b.jpg

1998-Sproofsilverdimerev..thumb.jpg.f5868afc77b018bd0c45bb16a456b24d.jpg

On 2/20/2024 at 4:48 PM, Sandon said:

I certainly wouldn't try it, as it is likely to damage the coin. The reference is to a clear plastic cleaner and polish such as Meguiar's PlastX, which is most commonly used to clarify automobile headlights, and which can be used on other clear hard plastics such as grading service holders to reduce dullness and minor scuffs. 

While a "70" grade awarded by a "basement slabber" such as SGS isn't of any real significance, those given by top tier graders such as NGC are supposed to be. NGC graded this 1998-S silver proof dime PF 70. Two tiny ticks can just be seen on Roosevelt's face under the 5x magnification, at which NGC claims the coin should appear flawless, although they don't show on the photos. I have yet to see any coin that I could describe as flawless.

1998-Sproofsilverdimeobv..thumb.jpg.8557ce76b0bff34bf6555dcdb0d2da9b.jpg

1998-Sproofsilverdimerev..thumb.jpg.f5868afc77b018bd0c45bb16a456b24d.jpg

Perhaps, some lapping compound would work.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:20 PM, Conder101 said:

The first US coin to get a 70 grade was a 1964 proof cent.  It got bid up to $40,000 but it had developed spots and PCGS withdrew their grade guarantee before it sold and made a private deal with the owner to get it off the market.

The first circulation coin to get a 70 grade was a PCGS 1973 Lincoln cent.  Which also subsequently developed spots.

[I believe this is what VKurtB was referencing when he opined that slabs were not protective.  No one I am aware of slabbed a coin solely to protect it from the ravages of the environment.]