• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Perfect 70's
2 2

59 posts in this topic

Here's another coin ripped from a 2000 clad proof set, a 2000-S half dollar NGC graded PF 70 Ultra Cameo. I also paid $9.09 for this coin despite the $70 NGC Price Guide value. There is a small shiny nick on the left side of Kennedy's ear visible even under 5x magnification, though hard to see in the photo, as well as a few other shiny spots on the devices on both sides:

2000-Shalfdollarobv..thumb.jpg.3e3f72e0d040474e4aed7006e69392c6.jpg

2000-Shalfdollarrev..thumb.jpg.e295761ddaadcd2356ca972f3e21bcba.jpg

Did we establish on another thread -- I can't remember -- the OLDEST struck coin/commemorative/proof -- that has achieved a "70" score ?  I can't remember.

Since comemoratives were struck to be saved (even more so than proofs), there's a better likelihood that more of them (along with proofs) were better taken care of and more likely to score a 70-grade.

On 10/1/2023 at 5:19 PM, RWB said:

The National Park medal is not a coin, which is stipulated in the OP's requirement.

Yup, I overlooked it.  Not sure I have any 70's other than the commemoratives...well, I guess I probably have a few ASEs or other country's silver coins like Pandas, Kruggerands, etc.

On 10/5/2023 at 6:20 PM, Conder101 said:

The first US coin to get a 70 grade was a 1964 proof cent.  It got bid up to $40,000 but it had developed spots and PCGS withdrew their grade guarantee before it sold and made a private deal with the owner to get it off the market.

The first circulation coin to get a 70 grade was a PCGS 1973 Lincoln cent.  Which also subsequently developed spots.

Dont you think it interesting that many silver Eagles and some larger silver proofs get a 70 grade while having milk spots visible with the naked eye. ? I'm puzzled by this.

On 10/7/2023 at 6:42 PM, numisport said:

Dont you think it interesting that many silver Eagles and some larger silver proofs get a 70 grade while having milk spots visible with the naked eye. ? I'm puzzled by this

In many, if not all cases, the milk spots developed or became visible after the coins were slabbed.

On 10/7/2023 at 3:42 PM, numisport said:

Dont you think it interesting that many silver Eagles and some larger silver proofs get a 70 grade while having milk spots visible with the naked eye. ? I'm puzzled by this.

Well most times those spots show up after. If they are very small and very few like 1or 2 TPGs might look the other way since a mint process done improperly is what causes the milk spots to develop. If I remember correctly some rinse was not done properly RWB could tell you more.

On 10/11/2023 at 6:55 PM, Conder101 said:

In many, if not all cases, the milk spots developed or became visible after the coins were slabbed.

I tend to agree with that but I doubt the TPG's would guarantee the grade with a milk spot problem. I guess I could check the NGC image to see if they show when they were holdered.