• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

JP's Nickels
1 1

8 posts in this topic

To be honest @J P M, I am not as good at grading these as I am looking at other series. I went to look at some graded examples, and I am not sure how it would go. J's hair on the obverse in grades 65,66,67 all seem to have progressively more details in the hair than this coin has. BUT, the reverses on any of the ones I looked at do not have as much detail in Monticello as this one has. I don't know where the graders would draw the line at strike wise as the reverse on the one you have asked about is really awesome for the year and mintmark but there seems to be less details evident in the hair. Considering the few nicks evident on the reverse as well, I think the graders would factor those in so I am going to make my humble guess that it would grade out as a 66. I think those nicks would keep it from achieving a grade of 67.

On 9/26/2023 at 10:14 PM, powermad5000 said:

To be honest @J P M, I am not as good at grading these as I am looking at other series. I went to look at some graded examples, and I am not sure how it would go. J's hair on the obverse in grades 65,66,67 all seem to have progressively more details in the hair than this coin has. BUT, the reverses on any of the ones I looked at do not have as much detail in Monticello as this one has. I don't know where the graders would draw the line at strike wise as the reverse on the one you have asked about is really awesome for the year and mintmark but there seems to be less details evident in the hair. Considering the few nicks evident on the reverse as well, I think the graders would factor those in so I am going to make my humble guess that it would grade out as a 66. I think those nicks would keep it from achieving a grade of 67.

Thanks for your opinion, Not many collectors like to guess grades on nickels and dimes. I agree that nickels are hard to grade. Almost every year has a oddity you have to be aware of in this series. In the early sixty's the hair was always a problem with strike. I think they would let that go as is. I agree the bag marks on the reverse are going to hold it at a 66. Most of the TPG do not give out 67-70 on regular strike coins unless it is flawless. That is why the price jump is so dramatic in those last four grades. Thanks again for looking. powermad.

I agree with the others that the obverse strike is a bit soft. With that said, I say that the chatter on the collar alone would take you out of the 67 range. Just too much there. What exactly is going on behind his nose? I think the reverse isn’t too bad strike wise. I have seen much worse. I have definitely seen some head scratchers when it comes to graded Jeffs. There are 0 FS coins graded by NGC for the 60D. Not sure about ATS. I looked at my example of the 60D which is graded MS67. While it’s not the most beautiful coin in my collection, it is a bit cleaner and the strike is a tad stronger. I think a clean collar, shoulder and jaw plays a huge role in determining grade. Major focal point. Still a very nice looking piece.