• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Keeping Track of collection
1 1

10 posts in this topic

Hiya!, Welcome to the fold! - I would imagine there is some kind of software out there, there almost always is.  I am no expert with excel either, but you don't have to be to create a simple catalogue.  I included a pic of a possible format.  Hopefully other campers can give you some software titles that can accommodate your needs.  Good luck!

possible.jpg

There are a few recent topics on this if you search the forum, but I agree Excel is one of the best options as there is not much in terms of good software to catalog collections that you can't pretty much do yourself.  Excel is actually pretty easy and intuitive if you just watch a few tutorials and play around with it for a while.

@cobymordet posted a good example which is similar to one I have, except I add where I purchased the coin and don't include value since that changes over time.  I also imbed or link pictures.  You can also use different tabs to organize it as you see fit with for example All, Gold, Morgans, Half Dollars, Mint Sets, etc.

Another option to consider is creating a Custom Registry Set which some members use to catalog collections.  However, I found this to be a little clunky, since I have mostly raw coins. and didn't go that route.

https://coins.www.collectors-society.com/wcm/CoinCustomSetListing.aspx

Edited by EagleRJO

I am as old school as they come. I photo each of my slabs and save these to two flash drives (in case one fails). These pics are also backed up to the cloud. The other thing I do is I bought a catalog of coins from Whitman publishing which is a paper book with empty squares that you fill in by hand (OMG!!! NOOOOOO!!!! NOT BY HAND!!!!! LOL!) I use pencil so when I upgrade, add, or sell slabs, I can adjust the book accordingly. That book is stashed in one of my fire safes as well as the flash drives. The book is like a Redbook, with divisions for each coin as well as mintage numbers, but instead of prices the empty squares are for certain grades where you put your own marks for each grade. Off grades can be listed on a line to the right of each page as well as miscellaneous descriptions. It also has sections for Canada, foreign, Mint errors, ASE's, Proof Sets, Bullion,  and Tokens. There are other blank pages if you wanted to list anything that doesn't fit any of the sections in the book, or list moderns for example. Biggest thing is to keep up with the list. No coin moves in or out of the collection without the book, or the list involved.

On 9/25/2023 at 5:59 AM, ldhair said:

I have been using Coin Elite for about 40 years.

I also use Coin Elite.  they have regulars quarterly updates as well.  although i haven't used it for forty years but close :)

One of the cool things about Coin Elite is the builtin coin list. With US coins you just find the coin in the list, select the grade and it's added it to your collection. At that point you can add information about the coin. Cost, notes, graded by, cert #, location, dealer information, variety, date bought, images, and much more. You can flag coins to sell and once you sell the coin the program will remove it from your inventory and store the information in the coins sold file. Pretty cool for tax reasons. I can still see coins I sold 30 years ago. 

Next is the great report function. It will do anything you want and you can print it if needed. I have never found anything it won't do.

I'm really good with Excel and use it everyday but it would have taken me forever to match what the Coin Elite program will do. Another cool thing are the Market Price updates. You pay a small amount for them but they will adjust the values for everything in less than a minute. The prices are really close for the most part. 

Next is the backup feature. You can save all the data to a stick or to a book drive. I set mine up to save to a book, once per week. I feel safe from any data loss. I could go on but you get the idea of what the program can do.  

On 9/25/2023 at 6:02 AM, ldhair said:

One of the cool things about Coin Elite is the builtin coin list. With US coins you just find the coin in the list, select the grade and it's added it to your collection. At that point you can add information about the coin. Cost, notes, graded by, cert #, location, dealer information, variety, date bought, images, and much more. You can flag coins to sell and once you sell the coin the program will remove it from your inventory and store the information in the coins sold file. Pretty cool for tax reasons. I can still see coins I sold 30 years ago. 

While I have no doubt that this is a great program, the NGC registry/inventory system can do all of this, and it has a cost of $0.00 dollars.  ;)   Hard to beat free.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:02 AM, ldhair said:

Next is the great report function. It will do anything you want and you can print it if needed. I have never found anything it won't do.

This is the only area of using the NGC registry/inventory that is poor, very poor.   The reporting function available from the NGC registry/inventory system is well outdated and clunky to use, but it is there and once again the system is free.

Just quite recently a fellow showed up both here and on the PCGS forum hawking his collection management software, here is a link to his thread here on the NGC forum for his software product.    LINK    I have no affiliation with this product, nor have I used it, so I have no opinion on it, just providing another alternative that you may wish to review.

On 9/25/2023 at 6:03 PM, Coinbuf said:

While I have no doubt that this is a great program, the NGC registry/inventory system can do all of this, and it has a cost of $0.00 dollars.  ;)   Hard to beat free.

This is the only area of using the NGC registry/inventory that is poor, very poor.   The reporting function available from the NGC registry/inventory system is well outdated and clunky to use, but it is there and once again the system is free.

Just quite recently a fellow showed up both here and on the PCGS forum hawking his collection management software, here is a link to his thread here on the NGC forum for his software product.    LINK    I have no affiliation with this product, nor have I used it, so I have no opinion on it, just providing another alternative that you may wish to review.

I agree with Coinbuf. I use the NGC Collector's Society inventory system and it is free and easy to use .  It already knows and has listed all the coins in my sets .