• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NEW Stacks & Bowers stickering ! !
3 3

28 posts in this topic

On 9/12/2023 at 8:30 PM, VKurtB said:

No stickering here. Just VKurtB SNICKERING. It has gotten nuts. The craziness has got to stop before this hobby becomes a sick joke. Or is it already too late?

I think for some things, it may already be too late. Stickers are already too much and losing meaning (except for CAC). Collectors have to draw a line somewhere. If there is no money in something, notice how quickly it will disappear. Boycott by not participating. There is strength in numbers. The more people that refuse to participate, the less nonsense gets a foothold.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:30 PM, powermad5000 said:

I think for some things, it may already be too late. Stickers are already too much and losing meaning (except for CAC). Collectors have to draw a line somewhere. If there is no money in something, notice how quickly it will disappear. Boycott by not participating. There is strength in numbers. The more people that refuse to participate, the less nonsense gets a foothold.

I refuse to play even the CAC game. Out of the very principle of it.

On 9/12/2023 at 11:35 PM, VKurtB said:

I refuse to play even the CAC game. Out of the very principle of it.

I can relate. I have but one slab with a green bean and that is only because the coin in the holder is the one I wanted and was in my price range. The slab already had the bean. Would not have made any difference to me if it didn't because I would still own the coin regardless of the sticker. 

On 9/12/2023 at 9:30 PM, VKurtB said:

....Or is it already too late?

The ways of The Market are fickle.  You know you've reached the point of no return when some creative whippersnapper introduces a line of pulsating stickers in living neon colors.  🤣

I'm going to start my own TPG for grading proof mint sets. I got an email back from NGC when I asked if they would acknowledge mint sets in OGP with stickers and seals NGC replied with a standard reply letter. not one word about my mint proof set question. I bought a lot labels and stickers during my career in printing and seriously thinking about it. I have not heard from PCGS yet.

On 9/27/2023 at 8:31 PM, Modwriter said:

I'm going to start my own TPG for grading proof mint sets. I got an email back from NGC when I asked if they would acknowledge mint sets in OGP with stickers and seals NGC replied with a standard reply letter.

NGC already does that for sets, or for individual set coins sometimes with a special label.  But I would just keep it in the OPG.

2021-S NGC US Mint Proof Set.jpg

@EagleRJO Thanks, I do want to keep my mint sets in their OGP holders. I purchased a 2017 mint proof set just like yours with the NGC first day of Issue sticker and seals in the OGP holders. That got me wondering if the TPG's offered some kind of attribute service for mint set collectors that want to keep the OGP holders. Stickers and seals and for the older sets in cello put into a sealed holder like they use for notes. It does sound like a great business to me with a low cost start up, website, label and stickers, forms and a PO Box. If I was younger, I'd start it up!

On 9/28/2023 at 2:18 AM, Modwriter said:

I do want to keep my mint sets in their OGP holders ... That got me wondering if the TPG's offered some kind of attribute service for mint set collectors that want to keep the OGP holders.

I meant to keep the annual sets in the OGP without submitting them.  And it looks like the TPGs already offer that attribute service for sets, although I don't really see a significant demand for just that.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6225/NGC-US-Mint-Set-Attributions/

37498733_1m.jpg

On 9/28/2023 at 10:39 AM, EagleRJO said:

I meant to keep the annual sets in the OGP without submitting them.  And it looks like the TPGs already offer that attribute service for sets, although I don't really see a significant demand for just that.

https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6225/NGC-US-Mint-Set-Attributions/

37498733_1m.jpg

Thanks! The NGC disclaimer is "original sealed mint shipping box". I have been buying proof sets online that are in the mint box or envelope, not in a SEALED mint shipping box. I may try for the first day of Issue in 2024.

On 9/28/2023 at 3:44 PM, Modwriter said:

I may try for the first day of Issue in 2024

I believe you have to be a dealer submitting a sealed and marked container.  But how would that be meaningful as you would lose money doing that.

Specializing in the grading of GI packs seems like an upside-down business model.  The grading costs will be more than the value of the coins in almost every case.  The chance of every coin in a pack being MS67 is so remote, and you would have to grade all the coins in the pack if it were intact.  

Poofs are very much the same - you had better be very good at telling a PF69 from a PF70 (and most are not - myself included).  Really those are the only grades that matter in modern, clad proofs.  Anything less is essentially worthless (and frankly I would rather not have a grade than show a clad PF65).  

The gem proof example above is laughable.  You will have a hard time finding a proof set in that packaging that is not "gem" (MS65+).

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

It looks like Dole has the currency shtick locked down.  Me? I am going to sticker my slabs with Chiquita brand bananas. I have no idea how collectors will feel about them, but the Guatamalan migrants up here will love 'em.     

The Germans have their own tradition as do the French, but there aren't too many around where I live.  For the Mexicans, it's THE THREE KINGS CAKE / LA ROSCA DE REYES.  I'll stick a small denomination Mexican Banknote to the traditional stacked cake with a Mexican sticker attached.  You know what they say, "Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?.  On Three Kings Day, on the first Week of January, I'll be a MEXI-CAN!  Adios amigos!  🤣

On 9/29/2023 at 4:03 AM, EagleRJO said:

I believe you have to be a dealer submitting a sealed and marked container.  But how would that be meaningful as you would lose money doing that.

Thanks for the advice. I will keep an eye out for the NGC first day of Issue proof sets to purchase to add to my collection.

On 9/29/2023 at 5:09 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

Specializing in the grading of GI packs seems like an upside-down business model.  The grading costs will be more than the value of the coins in almost every case.  The chances of every coin in a pack being MS67 is so remote, and you would have to grade all the coins in the pack if it were intact.  

Poofs are very much the same - you had better be very good at telling a PF69 from a PF70 (and most are not - myself included).  Really those are the only grades that matter in modern, clad proofs.  Anything less is essentially worthless (and frankly I would rather not have a grade than show a clad PF65).  

The gem proof example above is laughable.  You will have a hard time finding a proof set in that packaging that is not "gem" (MS65+).

Thanks. I know I am upside-down business wise since I started buying these proof sets. I am a collector first and a seller only in hard times. In fact, I have got a small coin hoarding collection going on. I wish I could tell tell the difference between a PF69 and a PF70. But I do know what a MS65 grade looks like after sending in a lot of coins for grading a couple years ago that I thought would grade higher.

On 9/29/2023 at 7:08 AM, Henri Charriere said:

It looks like Dole has the currency shtick locked down.  Me? I am going to sticker my slabs with Chiquita brand bananas. I have no idea how collectors will feel about them, but the Guatamalan migrants up here will love 'em.     

The Germans have their own tradition as do the French, but there aren't too many around where I live.  For the Mexicans, it's THE THREE KINGS CAKE / LA ROSCA DE REYES.  I'll stick a small denomination Mexican Banknote to the traditional stacked cake with a Mexican sticker attached.  You know what they say, "Are you a Mexican, or a Mexican't?.  On Three Kings Day, on the first Week of January, I'll be a MEXI-CAN!  Adios amigos!  🤣

LOL Henri! If I ever see a Chiquita banana sticker on a slab, I will buy it! I have in fact thought about putting a gold star on my coin holders...

On 9/29/2023 at 3:38 PM, Modwriter said:

Thanks. I know I am upside-down business wise since I started buying these proof sets. I am a collector first and a seller only in hard times. In fact, I have got a small coin hoarding collection going on. I wish I could tell tell the difference between a PF69 and a PF70. But I do know what a MS65 grade looks like after sending in a lot of coins for grading a couple years ago that I thought would grade higher.

I am also a collector first.  I don't sell coins, so win or lose - its all the same to me.  I was strictly speaking to the aspect of grading an entire cello pack and what it would take to have a collector comfortable enough to submit a whole pack (knowing that the break even point on moderns is ~67).  In my mind there are only three reasons to submit coins:

1. The coin is rare, so you want it authenticated
  2. The coin's condition is exceptional compared to it's peers
  3. The coin is so sentimentally valuable to the collector that the monetary value just doesn't matter

Generally speaking, mint/proof sets (as a whole) do not fit it not any of these categories.  You may get one coin out of a set that fits these categories, but an intact set is a tall task.     

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

Thanks again. I have seen a dime and a nickel so far in the proof sets that would not grade higher than a PF65 but most would grade PF67+. I did receive a cracked holder 2021 proof set from the Mint. I did buy another set from somebody else but may send the coins from the cracked proof set in for grading someday.