• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Quarter for these quarters. . . (p4) - 1941-S Trumpet?
1 1

7 posts in this topic

I sure do believe it is a trumpet S. It looks like it to me anyways. I could be wrong though. I bought one of these at GC auction a few months ago in MS and it got lost in the mail. I was heartbroken. Got a great deal on it. They refunded my money though so that was good to at least get my money back. Could have been worse. 

I am not so sure it is the trumpet S (I know that one is the more common one of the Large S of this year). The trumpet S to me is more "open" with more of a "ball" on the lower part of the S than there is with a serif. The following photo is from NGC VarietyPlus of the FS-501 Trumpet S. I get that this is a photo of a specimen in high quality and the OP's is worn, but I still think this may not be the Trumpet S.

817122-1.jpg

The next photos are from the NGC VarietyPlus page of the FS-503 Large Serif S. In these the top of the S seems more "closed" and "filled" and the lower part of the S is less of a "ball" shape and more of a serif shape. Imho, the OP's coin looks more like the FS-503.

817585-1.jpg

817585-2.jpg

Thank you @powermad5000 for opening my eyes to this. I did not realize there was a 3rd mintmark used on the 41 S Washington quarters. My apologies to the OP for jumping the gun. I am just used to the small and large S mintmarks used on the Jeffs and I knew this was not the small S. I have never really studied up on the trumpet tail style until now. (I love things that make me do research.) To me, this looks like the large S variety and not the trumpet tail. This should be good news to the OP as it looks like the large S is a bit more scarce. From the examples I looked at, the trumpet tail looks quite a bit thinner overall and of course has the bulb type serif as opposed to the large S being much blobbier for lack of a better word on most of the examples I looked at. I do understand that this is a circulated piece and wear could play a factor. I also noticed that the large S on the Jeffs seems to be much clearer than the ones on the Washington quarters. At least on the 2 large S Jeffs I have. This may not always be the case though. Just an observation. Always something new to learn in this hobby. 

On 9/6/2023 at 1:15 AM, powermad5000 said:

I am not so sure it is the trumpet S (I know that one is the more common one of the Large S of this year). The trumpet S to me is more "open" with more of a "ball" on the lower part of the S than there is with a serif. The following photo is from NGC VarietyPlus of the FS-501 Trumpet S. I get that this is a photo of a specimen in high quality and the OP's is worn, but I still think this may not be the Trumpet S.

817122-1.jpg

The next photos are from the NGC VarietyPlus page of the FS-503 Large Serif S. In these the top of the S seems more "closed" and "filled" and the lower part of the S is less of a "ball" shape and more of a serif shape. Imho, the OP's coin looks more like the FS-503.

817585-1.jpg

817585-2.jpg

I believe your right. The circulated condition of the quarter had me fooled.