• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

No Quarter for these quarters. . . (p1) - Clipped Planchet, Legit?
1 1

11 posts in this topic

On 9/5/2023 at 4:25 PM, cobymordet said:

I briefly read about the Blakesley effect, but was unsure whether this coin met that criteria.

the Blakesley is not required for a straight clip because a straight clip happens when the blank is punched rather than in the press.   But I have seen some straight clips with the Blakesley effect, I assume it happens when the coin is struck because of the blank not being round.   But I am not an expert on this area or effect and I may be wrong on that.

I agree with Bob that the effect should be present even for straight clips as it occurs at the upsetting machine from a lack of pressure on opposite sides, which occurs for both curved and straight clips.

I also see the other classic indicators like metal flow and rim taper at the clip as noted.  See a Coin Week article from a while ago linked below.

I think Bob's screenshot is of a vid on the mint's website on "Coin Production", which has some good info and vids linked below for anyone interested.

https://www.coinworld.com/news/us-coins/how-to-identify-a-genuine-clip-coin--collectors--clearinghouse.html

https://www.usmint.gov/learn/production-process/coin-production

I also concur that this is a legit straight clip. I see the effect on both sides of the coin which is how this large of a straight clip should look after striking. There is weakness of the A in AMERICA on the reverse, and the N of IN and T of Trust on the obverse. The rest of the details "fall off' as would without the metal or pressure to strike them.