• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1984-D Jefferson Nickel Is this die deterioration doubling or something else?

9 posts in this topic

There is a new type of error recognized on nickels. It is called a Bar Die Error. I have seen this on many nickels where there is excess metal between the rim and the edge of the devices. It is important to be sure it is not displaced metal pushed in from the rim. I guess they are getting there own label now. So far the list does not go any further than 1969. Not to say there are not others out there but none that have been reported to Variety Vista yet. http://www.varietyvista.com/35 BAR Nickels/BAR Listings.htm

Edited by J P M

On 9/4/2023 at 10:47 PM, Sandon said:

@J P M--Aren't these "bars" caused by die chips, like "BIE" Lincoln cents, which are caused by a die chip between the "B" and "E" of LIBERTY?

I agree Sandon, I have seen these on nickels for many years and always fluffed them off as chips. It is a very thin piece of metal between the rim and letter's that can easily chip or snap off. It looks like our world is changing and anything can be redefined. Kinda like some of the new DD cents which have no doubling at all only out of shape devices.  I do not think this new Bar designation will increase a coins value much but it is interesting to see it recognized.  

On 9/4/2023 at 7:46 PM, J P M said:

There is a new type of error recognized on nickels. It is called a Bar Die Error. I have seen this on many nickels where there is excess metal between the rim and the edge of the devices. It is important to be sure it is not displaced metal pushed in from the rim. I guess they are getting there own label now. So far the list does not go any further than 1969. Not to say there are not others out there but none that have been reported to Variety Vista yet. http://www.varietyvista.com/35 BAR Nickels/BAR Listings.htm

Interesting information thank you.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:00 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The terms "Bar" or "Morse Code" nickel have been around for a long time. They used to be somewhat popular but eventually died off, well, because they are common as dirt and aren't worth anything above face. They might be seeing a resurgence in popularity due to all of the error seekers spending countless hours looking for minutiae. It's like a bad zombie movie.

LoL... Re-runs of past findings. New collectors may be sending them in at $5 a pop + so there is a market for them now I guess. I have always put them back in the change jar.