• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Would you send for grading, keep as is, or sell these two Morgan dollars.

29 posts in this topic

These two Morgan dollars I have had for many years, bought them from a local coin shop back in the days of bid boards.   These two, and a few others, have been sitting in my undecided box for ages it seems and I'm still conflicted.   Most of the others are not super interesting, mostly just white AU or low MS coins, and I've been thinking about putting them on the bay, so would you add these to the sell pile or hold.

1885sdcomp Raw coin.jpg

1904sdcomp Raw coin.jpg

Depends what kind of collection you or anyone else wants.

I don't make impulse purchases and hardly ever buy anything for my "side collections" anymore either.  I did just buy one of the tougher dates in the Boliviano series though.  It's a set I intend too eventually complete.

I'm also looking to sell coins from discontinued "side collections" and past impulse purchases.

However, I recognize that most others prefer to have broader variety than I do.

One way I look at it when contemplating a sale is whether I would buy the same or similar coin for about the same money (in my case, if available).  If the answer is "no", time to sell.

If they were mine Id definately keep them. But I dont sell hardly anything. I really like both of those. Espically the 1885. Love the toning on it. If you did sell it would probably fetch a good price due to the demand of toned coins. Those are some beauties. That 85 is stunning. If I were fortunate to add a beauty like that to my collection Id definately keep it there and pass it on for my kids to admire. 

Edited by Hoghead515

This is a tough question for someone like me. I like my Morgans to be as close to blast white as possible. I like Morgans with original frost. That said, I do have a few with toning, but those are well worn specimens in some of the more key dates that I'll never be able to afford in MS. The 85 doesn't have the "rainbow" toning that people are going nuts over with all the reds and yellows and blues. But it hasn't toned in an unattractive fashion either. You are getting a positive response on its toning on here and I would expect the same response on the free market. For an 1885 (P) that is probably hovering somewhere around the $150 range and needs to get into MS 66 just to get over the $300 mark, I wouldn't have any problem letting that go (if you are trying to make room, upgrade, or just don't like the coin anymore). The 1904 (P) on the other hand, I would definitely send for grading. At MS 61 its showing $135 in the guide. After that, each grade point starts making bigger and bigger jumps in value with MS 63 going over the $300 mark and 64 over $500. To me yours is on the fence between 62 and 63 and could go either way. 

I agree with some above.  I very much like the look of the 85.  Now, I’m not expert on the market for Morgan’s but personally I find the coin quite attractive.  I don’t know if the value warrants grading, but I think that piece would have a premium at best, and more appealing at worse with regards to selling it.  I personally would keep it.  

On 9/1/2023 at 12:36 PM, Lem E said:

Not a Morgan dollar guy by any means but I will say I like the 1885. What do you think it would grade out as?

Neither coin would grade high, the 85 I grade as MS63 it might squeak into a 64 holder, the 04 is a slider that I would call AU but it might make it into a 61 holder.   I like both coins just fine and both are fine kept raw, f I do send the 85 for grading it would be to CACG just as a test to see what grade a toned coin like this would receive there.

On 9/1/2023 at 12:55 PM, CIII said:

I have an 1885 MS62 CAC in which to compare, and I would say that 1885 would easily grade a MS65 or maybe even an MS66.  What say you?

See above, I would be shocked if it graded better than MS64 anywhere, well perhaps at ICG.

Thanks for the additional thoughts and ideas, don't know what the outcome will be just yet but I'll circle back and update once I decide.   @CIII that is a very nice 1885 you have, looks like it should have graded higher, maybe just not enough luster in the eyes of the graders, but a fine example for the date.