• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large cent 1848, rare variety N4??
1 1

6 posts in this topic

I think this may be an N3 rartiry 2  with the green on it it could have been harshly cleaned looking at the color of the copper.  That Green could be PVC sludge or environmental damage it is hard to tell without having it in hand. 

On 8/31/2023 at 9:24 AM, tartamimmi said:

Could it be worth about $100?

Your coin has details that would support an XF or AU grade, however, as was noted above the coin has some issues including what might be active PVC contamination.   Because of the issues with the coin I think the value is lower than $50.

Hello again!

I would say you have enough detail to make it to the low XF range which is showing at $85 in the price guide. With the verdigris or corrosion or whatever is happening on the obverse, I would say that puts you around the $50-60 in value. I agree with @JT2 that you have the N-3 variety. It has the high numerals and is the only variety I could find that has the 48 which resembles a repunched date. I have provided a closeup of the N-3 date from NGC's VarietyPlus for you to compare. Look closely at the 48 and you will be able to see that same repunched look on your coin.

814421-3-1545148010.jpg

Edited by powermad5000