• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1942-S PL Jefferson Nickel Possible DDR or RPM? Anything else welcome.

57 posts in this topic

On 9/2/2023 at 8:30 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I apologize in advance if my posts are mundane, obvious, ignorant or come off boring. I know time and time again seasoned people on here see the same things and it probably wears them. 

Thank you all for your time and patience :)

You are doing fine. Its great to see someone on here willing to learn. You cant learn if you dont ask questions. Thats why this part in the forum is labeled Newbie Forum. So new collectors can ask questions and learn. I was the same way when I first started collecting. Its great to see someone like you thats willing to learn and take advice from the more experienced experts. We see alot of people on here who demand their damaged coins are something they are not. They wont listen to the advice of the experts and demand they are wrong and their beat up coins are valuable errors. Some people dont want to accept reality and want us to lie to them. Weve seen all sorts on here. Your doing great. You are willing to learn. If you stick around here and read all the different post and ask questions you will learn a whole lot. Just dont let the trolls discourage you. We get plenty of those also. Ive came a long way in the hobby by staying active on this forum. 

On 9/2/2023 at 7:30 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

You can't learn if you only want to hear what you want to hear. People are taking time out of what I assume are their busy lives to spend the coin of their life to try to help/educate one another and I appreciate it!

Constructive responses lead to more knowledge, comraderie and information that can lead to hopefully a better conclusion than where we started.

This is a breath of fresh air on here! Many people who post on here only want to hear what they want to hear despite those with knowledge attempting to educate them.

On 9/2/2023 at 7:44 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Just out of curiosity how does the process of a discovery coin go for any coin? Is there a process? I have no clue how that works.

I can only guess there is a process. I don't know for sure, but I can only imagine it must be looked at by several of the top experts and an agreeance that it is genuine, that it could be possible for it to exist, and that it was somehow made by one of the branches of the Mint and got out. I can say with some level of confidence that it is not one single person alone with the authority that gives the nod.

On 9/2/2023 at 9:32 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't see any recent auction results for that coin (that are not toned, don't have a "★" or "FS" designation, or not an error) from various auction sites, except one that went for $70 recently on ebay.  There are some MS65PL in the $200 range on GC but they're toned, "★", "FS", or errors and the MS66PL coins (without anything special) seem to be the ones in the $200 range.

https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1942-s-5c-pl/94017

GC Auction Records 1942-S War Nickels

When it comes to Nickels @Lem E knows what he is talking about.

I found a couple more that were just MS65 PL. Thank you for posting more auctions. They are all over the place.. Demand for some people must be high.

Screenshot_20230902_213422_Chrome.thumb.jpg.be0fd6fad607c134763a98dfc00b742c.jpgScreenshot_20230902_213327_Chrome.thumb.jpg.23f2c07c5a2021736fba17fdf87784de.jpg

Well it's here all I can say is it's nice to add to my 1942-P PR TYPE 2. From what I can tell it is neither a DDR or RPM but I could be wrong. I have seen some pretty weak RPM's I can't tell if that's a notch or serif on the S.

I see some edges around letters that look less flat or shelf like to me they look bubbled and maybe seperated like the M in UNUM and O in MONTICELLO.

I'm pretty sure this is mechanical doubling though but it's so reflective it was straining my eyes too much. I need a scope with monitor..

If anyone sees anything with the serifs or knotches let me know I don't have an eye for it. Thank you for your time but I think this was a bust of a gamble. Not what I thought was in the pictures sadly..

20230903_080345.thumb.jpg.a7923ec0b2f57a4274b974e6a4c6b8a0.jpg20230903_080021.thumb.jpg.203e8e3790b090eefa7bb21914d8cd2d.jpg20230903_080231.thumb.jpg.6c46501e38378fb85796626ab8d7ce7a.jpg20230903_080054.thumb.jpg.950e429dbe69ded16e904844b7c4d5cf.jpg

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
cropped a photo

On 9/3/2023 at 12:48 PM, Lem E said:

I am a bit surprised at those prices and that the PL designation on a 65 is bringing in that kind of cash. Wow. Guess I’m way off when it comes to the PL market. (shrug)

Your good, markets change. Maybe demand is just high for now..I haven't been able to snag one so I overpaid but luckily not like some of these. The last two I saw there was a bidding war I folded. Part of the reason I overpaid on this one as well.

On 9/3/2023 at 8:56 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I found a couple more that were just MS65 PL

Those are both listed as being "toned" which go for more.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:42 PM, EagleRJO said:

Those are both listed as being "toned" which go for more.

I don’t see anything spectacular about the toning do you? Typical gold toning. I guess I just don’t put too much stock in PL coins. That is just me though. To each their own.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:47 PM, Lem E said:

I don’t see anything spectacular about the toning do you?

I don't see anything spectacular either, but that's not really a series I know well, and from watching other GC auction people go ga-ga over little listing things like a "toned" coin.

On 9/3/2023 at 1:47 PM, Lem E said:

I don’t see anything spectacular about the toning do you? Typical gold toning. I guess I just don’t put too much stock in PL coins. That is just me though. To each their own.

I see the typical golden toning. Nothing like dramatic rainbow or neon colors that i see on some examples that look beautiful. I was looking at one recently even though it was only MS67+ no FS looked pretty nice though.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:04 PM, EagleRJO said:

I don't see anything spectacular either, but that's not really a series I know well, and from watching other GC auction people go ga-ga over little listing things like a "toned" coin.

I do enjoy some full rainbow, neon colors or bulls eyes though lol i dont know if I would be willing to pay what I see some go for but i would atleast like one.

On 9/3/2023 at 2:13 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Just be careful if you buy any rainbow toners raw. Several people are out there artificially toning them so they bring big bucks and they wont straight grade. Its hard to tell the difference unless you are very experienced on it.  If I were gonna buy any rainbow toners id go for already graded coins. People will scam anyone they can for a dollar these days. 

I understand and agree thank you though. Yeah a lot of things out there that explain how to also but then they do warn against grading lol yeah it sucks how some people just want a quick buck..

On 9/3/2023 at 3:07 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I do enjoy some full rainbow, neon colors or bulls eyes though

If you want to see some amazing nickels check out Lem's registry sets, which are world class collections.  Here is one ... https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/337377/

On 9/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I understand and agree thank you though. Yeah a lot of things out there that explain how to also but then they do warn against grading lol yeah it sucks how some people just want a quick buck..

Yep those artifical toners get a details grade just as a damaged coin does. Like @Lem E said those nickels do tone some amazing colors. Hes got some beauties in his set. If u get the chance you outta check out his registry set. @EagleRJO beat me to it. lol I was literally typing that out when his message went through. Lem's collection is some of the finest nickels you will lay eyes on. He was ranked #1 there for a while. 

Edited by Hoghead515

Thanks fellas I appreciate the kind words. My second set has turned into more of the toner set these days. A lot of them get graded a bit lower. I will admit I have paid some questionable prices for a few of my toners but I have also got some surprisingly cheap. 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:27 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

@Hoghead515 @EagleRJO i have before  that's what made me give up on a nickel registry lol I was like yeah there's no way.

You can still put a set together on the registry. If your budget is anything like mine it will be hard to take some those top spots but its still fun to take part in. Im ranked way up well over 100 in my Washington quarter set and I know ill probably never make it into the top 50 but its still fun to display my coins in the registry. 

On 9/3/2023 at 3:20 PM, Hoghead515 said:

He was ranked #1 there for a while.

Yea, I saw that.  He must be slacking.  (: :baiting:

When you're #1 someone is always gunning for you.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 9/3/2023 at 3:38 PM, Lem E said:

I never in a million years thought I would ever be where I am with that set but, the closer I got the harder I started to push. High rank doesn't determine the quality of set. It’s all about the effort and dedication you put into a set that makes them great.

I remember you sure put some work into it. Finding the coins, getting pics done, and the descriptions. It is a well deserving set.