• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another Seated Dollar for my Box of 20

58 posts in this topic

On 8/26/2023 at 11:52 AM, Hoghead515 said:

That is a beauty. Congratulations on a very nice addition. I really love the toning on it. Anyone would love to have that one in their collection. :golfclap:

Yeah, I was a little concerned about the light freckled toning, on the right facing side, of the obverse.  I got it in hand, today, and man is it ever lustrous and nice.  The toning is very subtle and barely noticeable, in the hand.  Not dark at all.  I am super happy with it.  Thanks for your positive feedback.

Edited by Walkerfan

What grade does PCGS have on it? Did it cross over as the same grade NGC had on it? Its definately a beauty. I love the good natural toning. It toned beautifully in my opinion. If I ever had the chance to own one Id love for it to be a simular color. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/26/2023 at 3:11 PM, Hoghead515 said:

What grade does PCGS have on it? Did it cross over as the same grade NGC had on it? Its definately a beauty. I love the good natural toning. It toned beautifully in my opinion. If I ever had the chance to own one Id love for it to be a simular color. 

...pcgs graded it a 61 i believe it was in a 2013 SB auction if u have access to those catalogs online....

On 8/26/2023 at 4:01 PM, zadok said:

...i totally agree...u can disregard the "numismatist of the year"'s opinion...i guess every forum must have its jesters, we have him n QA....

I don’t care how good his research is… he sure needs grading lessons. lol

On 8/26/2023 at 4:17 PM, zadok said:

...personally i dont consider him a researcher, his efforts r more along the lines of a compiler, i see very little real numismatic research, its more like putting together a scrapbook from misc notes n adding some speculation n conjecture n a gazillion footnotes to provide credence...but thats just my opinion which carries no credence....i have had the privilege n pleasure to personally see several coins from osborne's coin collection n i applaud u for attempting to add representative examples to ur own collection...i do the same, theres something bout having pedigreed coins in ur own collection that makes it seem like u r following in the footsteps of some of the previous great collectors....

Thanks.  Osburn is the true expert in the Seated Dollar world.  If it’s good enough for him, it’s good enough for me.

What does interest me is the small dark spots. What kind of origin are we guessing?

On 8/26/2023 at 4:30 PM, VKurtB said:

What does interest me is the small dark spots. What kind of origin are we guessing?

Probably retoned that way.  They look stable and inconsequential.  Looks great in hand.  Not dark and barely noticeable.  Luster is strong.  Looks consistent for a 154 year old coin. 

On 8/26/2023 at 3:42 PM, zadok said:

...pcgs graded it a 61 i believe it was in a 2013 SB auction if u have access to those catalogs online....

Do you happen to know what it sold for back then?

Edit to add: Sold for $2,350.00, in 2013...It was in NGC plastic back then.  I checked NGC Auction Central.    

Edited by Walkerfan
To answer question in my original post

On 8/26/2023 at 3:45 PM, Walkerfan said:

You are correct.  It is undeniably mint state.

Nope...at least not by the photo. The disturbance of luster in the field and evident abrasion on Liberty's breasts, legs, etc. are all classic indicators of an AU coin. If the coin were actually uncirculated the grade would be at least MS-63 even with the small facial scars. (A MS-61 coin will have numerous scrapes and contact marks, but undisturbed luster and no circulation abrasion.)

The so-called "grading company" lied to the submitter who then passed the lie to another and it eventually made it's way to you. The person/company from whom you bought this excellent AU coin probably did not do the grading....they simply let you assume.

Your coin shows the typical overall appearance of an AU coin --- through its lack of marks (very limited circulation, and inconsistent with Uncirculated grade). Many real AU coins are, indeed, superior to Unc coins in all respects except slight abrasion and luster disturbance.

(I would much prefer your coin over an UNC 60, 61 or 62 coin in many cases. It is much more attractive and representative of the design and production of 1869.)

Edited by RWB

Agreed....and there is no justification for any numismatist to knowingly buy or sell a falsely described coin.  The 1869 dollar is, I feel, fully worth a premium sum for its actual quality, and might be valued higher than a scruffy UNC. (By "premium" I mean more than the typical auction results displayed on line.) But if the quality of coins is manipulated by faulty authentication or grading, the result is endemic confusion and falsehood perpetuated by those who are supposed to be trusted independent consistent evaluators.

@RWB and @Sandon You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that.  But, I see no rub in the areas that you mentioned.  The coin looks almost like a 63 to me.  The fields are a reflective, semi-prooflike with good luster.  This is as nice of an 1869 that you'll find, without paying moon money.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.... 

Edited by Walkerfan

On 8/26/2023 at 5:41 PM, Walkerfan said:

@RWB and @Sandon You are entitled to your opinion and I will respect that.  But, I see no rub in the areas that you mentioned.  The coin looks almost like a 63 to me.  The fields are a reflective, semi-prooflike.  This is as nice of an 1869 that you'll find, without paying moon money.  We'll just have to agree to disagree.... 

OK. Remember, this conversation when you eventually sell it.

To the OP:   It appears I have been shouted down before I'd even had a chance to weigh in. 🤣  By the time I had recovered from RWB's initial flash-bang post, Sandon leveled the playing field leaving me and guest viewers with delectable morsels to chew on. :roflmao:

This is one of those momentous occasions when evaluating a coin straddling the "Degree of Greatness Divide," can either be a travesty or a tragedy. The following is MY opinion which you are free to quote for attribution. :)

This coin never entered "circulation," as that term is commonly used by hobbyists. Any issues which may have arisen in its remarkably long shelf life can be attributed in pertinent part to less than ideal, otherwise unremarkable inter-steward transfers of ownership and, most regrettably, less than ideal storage conditions. [In your opening, you initially referred to your coin as "she" and later, as "it."  You got it right the first time.  She is absolutely stunning and your finest acquisition to date.  ^^ 

The 1869 dollar is, I feel, fully worth a premium sum for its actual quality, and might be valued higher than a scruffy UNC.

On 8/26/2023 at 5:46 PM, Walkerfan said:

You're notorious for your lowball BS and everyone knows it.  I'll be fine.  

"Lowball" is defined as deliberately denigrating or under grading for personal gain. I'm known for objectivity and describing what I see without financial bias or personal gain. The hope is that you will (if the coin is as photographed) learn.

Repeating the earlier comment: "The 1869 dollar is, I feel, fully worth a premium sum for its actual quality, and might be valued higher than a scruffy UNC."

Edited by RWB