• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1964 D Jefferson Nickel Die Clash even though its minor? Found in change but I thought it was neat.

11 posts in this topic

Someone on here will correct me on the proper terminology, but I don't see a die clash. What I do see is a phenomenon called indirect progressive die transfer (as I said, someone correct me on the name of it here). Basically a "ghost" image of one side of the coin appearing as a clash on the other side. If I am not mistaken this begins to occur as the dies begin to wear out. It is actually more common than some think. 

Powermad5000

You were close, you had the right words but in the wrong order, it is “ Progressive Indirect Die Transfer”. 
and is a form of Die Deterioration.  
I just call it “ghosting “ as it is easier to remember and not as long to type

Edited by Greenstang

On 8/19/2023 at 11:54 AM, powermad5000 said:

Someone on here will correct me on the proper terminology, but I don't see a die clash. What I do see is a phenomenon called indirect progressive die transfer (as I said, someone correct me on the name of it here). Basically a "ghost" image of one side of the coin appearing as a clash on the other side. If I am not mistaken this begins to occur as the dies begin to wear out. It is actually more common than some think. 

Oh interesting! It is more pronounced at different angles and thick/ thinner in some areas. Also its pretty worn sadly.

I am still learning about errors etc. I thought if an image is transferred to either side its called a die clash.

Never heard or read about an ""Progressive Indirect Die Transfer” now i have something new to look up :). Does it help that's its raised slightly? 

Edited by NeverEnoughCoins09
misspelling

You can read about Progressive Indirect Die Transfer at Error-Ref.com, this link will take you to the page just scroll down to find it.  Error-Ref   From what I see you do have an example of a well-worn coin that displays a clash, indirect die transfer effects are not as well defined or seen as raised elements as on your coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/19/2023 at 12:11 PM, Greenstang said:

Powermad5000

You were close, you had the right words but in the wrong order, it is “ Progressive Indirect Die Transfer”. 
and is a form of Die Deterioration.

So are you saying it is "Progressive Indirect Die Transfer”? Is that considered an error since it was from a deteriorated die and caused from the minting process?

Even if it is common pretty cool never seen one after all the nickels I have seen in my lifetime lol

On 8/19/2023 at 12:16 PM, Coinbuf said:

You can read about Progressive Indirect Die Transfer at Error-Ref.com, this link will take you to the page just scroll down to find it.  Error-Ref   From what I see you do have an example of a well-worn coin that displays a clash, indirect die transfer effects are not as well defined or seen as raised elements as on your coin.

Thank you for the reference and yes I was wondering since it does have raised elements. 

Like I said not worth much if anything other than five cents but an interesting find in change and I don't have one soOo in the flip you go :)

On 8/19/2023 at 10:21 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Thank you for the reference and yes I was wondering since it does have raised elements. 

Like I said not worth much if anything other than five cents but an interesting find in change and I don't have one soOo in the flip you go :)

Agreed no added value over face value, but still a fun find and coin collecting is about having fun.   Once you read the page I linked you will likely realize that you probably have seen coins that display the die transfer effect before, just that you didn't realize it.

Edited by Coinbuf

On 8/19/2023 at 1:24 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

@J P M only because you like nickels thought you might find it interesting.

Yes it is a cool find.