• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which would you rather ?
1 1

16 posts in this topic

"MAC: is a side dish, not a main course. "CAC" is salad, also not a main course.

Are you trying to decide which coin you prefer by appearance and collection "holes," or does money and profit potential come into play?

I'm not all that thrilled with any of the five, and I would never make a decision from looking at only one side of a coin.   But if I were to pick it would be the Merc dime because it has the CAC sticker which means that JA has seen both sides and like the coin.

Edited by Coinbuf

If it were me I was in bind or limited on money or if that’s all I could afford … I’d go with Mercury dime as well so count my vote in with @ldhair and @Coinbuf… old school PCGS holder with a bean on it ? Take it ! Over the rest …. If you do decide buy the green bean Mercury , contact me through private message I have another old school Walking Liberty with a CAC Green bean in my collection that was left back when I sold off 95% of my US coin collection and switched over to German coin collecting ….  I’ll happily let you make an offer on it to go along with the Mercury CAC if you’re interested anything to help a new collector out get on right track with some decent coins but not overly priced ,  it’s within your budget of the coins you showed in your post if it makes your day … It not like I’m really trying to get rid of it or anything like that , I may have an old school Mercury dime or two in old soap bar ANACS holders ANA holders I might let go too 

Get the one or ones you like best. For me it would be the quarter because I have the others in a like or better grade. 

If I had to rank them lowest to highest choice it would be

5. 1889 $1 I do not like the marks on the rim

4. 1943 1/2 $  not a huge fan of Walkers due to poor strikes, this one is above average though

3. 1885 $1 

2. The dime nice coin, better strike 

1. the standing quarter

None of these is bad, and I would have no problem owning any of them

It all depends on personal preferences.  Forget about labels and stickers, and go with what you like.  I am partial to Morgan dollars so I would go with the 1885 (P) Morgan dollar even though it's a very common issue that is not worth very much.