• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1918 s walking lib error w/5 different design impressions
1 1

15 posts in this topic

I recently acquired this coin at a auction and I am having a hard time locating this type of error anywhere on the Internet. I have searched all the common fake coins, and can’t find an example of it. The only thing I can think of is this is a R&D  escaped coin. Maybe they used the planchet for design stamping examples and tossed it back in the batch thinking the impressions would press out and disappear. The coin face is clearly stamped over the impressions. The face features overlap the odd impressions. All 5 are different. Has anyone seen these designs on other coins from that year? I was thinking of sending this in, so it can be examined, and possibly graded. I’m hoping it’s real and rare one of a kind.Thanks

IMG_0304.jpeg

IMG_0305.jpeg

Welcome to the NGC chat board.

In my opinion, your well-circulated (VG or so details) 1918-S half dollar does not exhibit a mint error. The design on the coin was stamped or engraved on the coin after it left the mint by someone who made sure it only appeared in the fields. Nothing that occurs during the minting process could result in this appearance. Moreover, the extraneous patterns appear to be less worn than the rest of the coin. 

Welcome to the forum

Save your money by not sending it in. It would just come back as a detailed ( damage ) coin.  
As Sandon states, there is no way this happened during the striking of the coin. It doesn’t really  
matter how it was done, damage is damage.  
You are right when you say it is probably one of a kind, most damaged coins are.

Ok.Thanks  I just dont see how the letterings could appear over the top of the impressions such ad the “T” in liberty and the G in “In GOD We Trust” Just trying to understand how that would be done. I will take some hi def pics through a microscope to figure it out.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:17 PM, dumpsterbum! said:

Ok.Thanks  I just dont see how the letterings could appear over the top of the impressions such ad the “T” in liberty and the G in “In GOD We Trust” Just trying to understand how that would be done. I will take some hi def pics through a microscope to figure it out.

These are not "impressions" the coin has been carved.   Why the person that did the work chose these designs and the placement of those carvings is a mystery to all but that individual.    Your microscope will tell you nothing, google love tokens and you will be able to see multiple examples of coins that have designs carved into them.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:17 PM, dumpsterbum! said:

It is a mutilated 1918-S half dollar with a bunch of embossing patterns added. I don't want to pretend that any collector would want this.

I agree with the others. Post mint damage. Looks like someone made an art project out of that coin by engraving those designs into it. Theres no way possible that was done during the minting process. If you read books about pattern coins there were never any designs used like those. They wouldnt randomly carve them in various places like that. They were very artistic about carving dies. Thats just a very damaged coin. Kinda neat but it wouldnt straight grade. Some people collect coins like that. Love tokens, hobo nickels, etc.

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/16/2023 at 8:25 PM, dumpsterbum! said:

. Maybe they used the planchet for design stamping examples and tossed it back in the batch thinking the impressions would press out and disappear. 

Whenever they done any carving they carved the dies that strike the planchetts. They didnt carve the planchet itself or stamp anything in the planchet. They would stamp the die and then strike the planchet. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/16/2023 at 8:25 PM, dumpsterbum! said:

I recently acquired this coin at a auction

Why would you bid on something if you had no idea what it was or what it was worth?

Was it represented as being an error coin at the auction?

If it was on the planchet before striking, it would be more distinct on the raised elements, the lettering and on the figure of Liberty than on the fields.  The fields being flattened more would obliterate the design.  Some metal artist just put a lot of work into it for some reason.

...often larger silver coins, halves n dollars, were used as test or practice pcs to experiment or demonstrate carving, chasing or stamped jewelry designs...the coins were readily available n economically cheaper than using blank silver sheet to practice on, plus the coin could be spent after experimentation at no cost to the owner...make do with what u have n dont waste resources unless u have to...these fall into the love token category n worth the silver value plus any artistic value, this pc obviously done sometime after 1918...as mentioned post mint damage not worth grading expense....

On 8/17/2023 at 10:16 AM, zadok said:

...often larger silver coins, halves n dollars, were used as test or practice pcs to experiment or demonstrate carving, chasing or stamped jewelry designs...the coins were readily available n economically cheaper than using blank silver sheet to practice on, plus the coin could be spent after experimentation at no cost to the owner...make do with what u have n dont waste resources unless u have to...these fall into the love token category n worth the silver value plus any artistic value, this pc obviously done sometime after 1918...as mentioned post mint damage not worth grading expense....

I agree this was jeweler's sample to show different carvings for silver rings or wrist bands.  The coin is worth melt unless you can find a buyer that likes the PMD. 

On 8/16/2023 at 11:57 PM, EagleRJO said:

Why would you bid on something if you had no idea what it was or what it was worth?

Was it represented as being an error coin at the auction?

Because i got it dirt cheap and it was interesting.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

I agree with the others. Post mint damage. Looks like someone made an art project out of that coin by engraving those designs into it. Theres no way possible that was done during the minting process. If you read books about pattern coins there were never any designs used like those. They wouldnt randomly carve them in various places like that. They were very artistic about carving dies. Thats just a very damaged coin. Kinda neat but it wouldnt straight grade. Some people collect coins like that. Love tokens, hobo nickels, etc.

I got it dirt cheap and i was curious. Thought it was neat. I have never seen on as ornate.A jewelers test peace makes more sense.5 different designs after all.Thanks for your help.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:08 PM, Greenstang said:

Welcome to the forum

Save your money by not sending it in. It would just come back as a detailed ( damage ) coin.  
As Sandon states, there is no way this happened during the striking of the coin. It doesn’t really  
matter how it was done, damage is damage.  
You are right when you say it is probably one of a kind, most damaged coins are.

Okay, thanks.

On 8/16/2023 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

On 8/17/2023 at 9:16 AM, zadok said:

This makes more sense to me.Thnks

Looks like either the start of a love token or is just a hobo coin. Either way, it is not a mint error. You can Google either of those terms and see things that look like this.