• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cracked Holders and how that effects coin condition and resell value. Anything else welcome.

20 posts in this topic

Ive never been in the position of deciding to buy a coin with a cracked holder like the one above with a major crack. If it were a coin I really wanted and the price was right I wouldnt let it stop me from buying it. I would send it and have it reholdered. I have bought coins with minor cracks, scuffs, and nicks. They had nice coins in them and I didnt want the plastic to stop me from owning them. I fixed a couple of the scuffed up ones with very fine grit sandpaper and some plastic polish that @Coinbuf recommended to me several months ago. Cant remember the name. One looked like it was a 3 year olds play toy. Couldnt hardly see the coin inside.  But they shined right up like brand new. But to sum it up myself, I wont let a cracked holder stop me from a nice coin unless it damaged the coin inside. 

Edited by Hoghead515

The damaged holder definitely impacts the sell price but I don't know that paying to have it reholdered to be able to sell at a higher price makes much sense either unless you basically got the coin for free, even then it still maybe a wash or worse depending on what you could sell it for as is. If you wanted a nice example for your collection I would probably consider picking up a new coin with a problem free holder and sell the one in the OP. 

Edited by Fenntucky Mike
Grammar

The coin has some discoloration  on the reverse anyway so it is not at it's full value and would need conservation that may not work. It may not be worth the cost to re-holder the coin ,only you would know that.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:14 AM, J P M said:

The coin has some discoloration  on the reverse anyway so it is not at it's full value and would need conservation that may not work. It may not be worth the cost to re-holder the coin ,only you would know that.

Yeah it's got that weird whitish or clear color in the corner..was hoping that was toning..

If reholdering is only $10 and shipping/insurance etc. and the NGC price guide of $175 is accurate then it wouldn't hurt. Got it pretty cheap. So definitely considering it :)

On 8/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Yeah it's got that weird whitish or clear color in the corner..was hoping that was toning..

If reholdering is only $10 and shipping/insurance etc. and the NGC price guide of $175 is accurate then it wouldn't hurt. Got it pretty cheap. So definitely considering it :)

Yes at $175 give or take it would be worth the cost if you intend to sell it at any time. I would not know how much the other costs would run you.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:12 PM, Coinbuf said:

... in this case sending the coin into NGC using the reholder service is a good option

I agree that's a good option, as coins that I have been following at auction sites like GC, HA or ebay that have a significant or very noticeable holder crack typically sell for a decent amount less than the same coins with intact holders.

You can hold onto it until you also have some other coins to submit to NGC in order to save on shipping and handling.  Just be sure to store in a controlled environment as the holder has been compromised, even though they are not air tight.

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/17/2023 at 1:40 PM, EagleRJO said:

You can hold onto it until you also have some other coins to submit to NGC in order to save on shipping and handling.  Just be sure to store in a controlled environment as the holder has been compromised, even though they are not air tight.

Just curious what type of environment? I understand temperatures. It would be like 76 degrees. Humidity is a different story what is better less? I'm sure more is definitely worse off lol . Like a container with a silica pack?

On 8/17/2023 at 5:39 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

The damaged holder definitely impacts the sell price but I don't know that paying to have it reholdered to be able to sell at a higher price makes much sense either unless you basically got the coin for free, even then it still maybe a wash or worse depending on what you could sell it for as is. If you wanted a nice example for your collection I would probably consider picking up a new coin with a problem free holder and sell the one in the OP. 

I would have to check again to be positive but i believe less than $30

On 8/17/2023 at 3:40 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Just curious what type of environment?

I think low humidity is the most importantant factor.

My coins are stored either in a safe deposit box (bank vaults are usually temperature and humidity controlled) for the more valuable ones, or in a home floor safe that is in an air conditioned space.  And yes, I also store all my coins with silica packs in the albums or boxes as an additional protection measure.

For very valuable coins, particularly for valuable copper coins that are more susceptible to environmental damage, you can also consider "Intercept Shield" storage boxes in a humidity controlled vault or area ... https://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/products/intercept-shield-boxes/

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

The damaged holder may void its original grade, and it may have to be graded anew.

Unfortunately, this coin would "have to be graded anew", not necessarily because of the cracked holder but because it was graded in 1997, more than ten years ago. The NGC Grading Guarantee (such as it is) doesn't apply to a copper, bronze, brass, or copper-plated coin that was encapsulated more than ten years, ago. Such a coin will be treated as a "raw" submission if resubmitted, even for reholdering. Verify NGC Certification | NGC (ngccoin.com).

On 8/17/2023 at 9:29 AM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

I took a look at ebay this morning and there were quite a few '64 PF69 CAMEOs available for under $100. Below are links to a few, there are also some up for auction with opening bids starting at $75 or lower. The NGC price guide is just that, a guide, I personally don't use it, or any really other than for information on the coin or note not pricing, and go by recent sales, BIN listings, and availability to mention a few, but it's probably somewhat accurate for several U.S. coins. Also, I think there is a chance that coin would not come back as RD, possibly RB further devaluing it. If due to the time passed since grading the coin would be treated as a "raw" submission as others have said, I believe this is accurate, your margin will be even further reduced. 

Here 

Here 

On 8/17/2023 at 5:00 PM, Sandon said:

Unfortunately, this coin would "have to be graded anew", not necessarily because of the cracked holder but because it was graded in 1997, more than ten years ago.

Can you find the date a coin is slabbed when you look up its verification?

I may have an issue if this one is old also..not cracked though perfectly fine.

20230817_204016.thumb.jpg.eed6c0a9606e4eaf38eb224ec3321596.jpg20230817_203938.thumb.jpg.075a1fb4581feb46d7369910f6afa1fd.jpg

On 8/17/2023 at 8:15 PM, Fenntucky Mike said:

I took a look at ebay this morning and there were quite a few '64 PF69 CAMEOs available for under $100. Below are links to a few, there are also some up for auction with opening bids starting at $75 or lower. 

Here 

Here 

Ouch, thank you. I will sit on it then. I'm sure it's not worth grading again. I don't really understand the costs yet of that process.

On 8/17/2023 at 1:45 PM, USAuPzlBxBob said:

If I were you, I'd inquire of NGC if the coin would again grade with the same grade as before, automatically.

The damaged holder may void its original grade, and it may have to be graded anew.

Would they really downgrade it ? :|  Same grading company.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Can you find the date a coin is slabbed when you look up its verification?

The certification date is only stated on copper, etc. coins affected by the ten-year guarantee expiration.  However, it's probably a good idea to check Certificate Verification on any coin you purchase for the unlikely event that the holder has been counterfeited.  For NGC certified coins, go to the "Resources" tab on the NGC home page and click "Verify NGC Certification". There are similar applications on the PCGS and ANACS websites. 

I checked your 1953 proof cent, and it was just encapsulated on December 29, 2022, so the guarantee is good for over another nine years.  Oddly, however, the verification page doesn't include photos of the holder, as it should for pieces certified since approximately 2008.

On 8/17/2023 at 9:07 PM, Sandon said:

I checked your 1953 proof cent, and it was just encapsulated on December 29, 2022, so the guarantee is good for over another nine years.  Oddly, however, the verification page doesn't include photos of the holder, as it should for pieces certified since approximately 2008.

That's good news about the date of encapsulation atleast. That's strange hopefully no bad news in the future. Is there anyway to find out more?