• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I have several coins with marks like this one, is it a mint error?
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I have many quarters with these "teeth" marks. @Hoghead515 is correct. This happens after ejection from the press and the coin falls into a large bin full of other quarters while the press keeps spitting out more quarters that fall into each other. The more empty the bin is, the more quarters get damage like this.

It is possible that they occured at the mint but they are not errors, they are called "bag marks" as they most likely happened when the coins were put in bags for shipping.

It is only an error if it happens during the actual striking of the planchet, once the coin has been ejected, anything that happens to it after that is considered damage.

On 8/16/2023 at 9:59 PM, abcd43130 said:

Some of the "errors" I have read about, like the spitting buffulo, has a premium to them.  do some bag marks ever have a premium? even a small premium? like $1?

The spitting buffalos are caused by die cracks in the right spot. There are also others such as wounded eagles. Where a die crack runs through an eagles body such as on 2000 Sac dollars.  Bag marks are just considered damage due to hits and scratches after the coin was struck. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/16/2023 at 10:04 PM, Hoghead515 said:

The spitting buffalos are caused by die cracks in the right spot. There are also others such as wounded eagles. Where a die crack runs through an eagles body such as on 2000 Sac dollars.  Bag marks are just considered damage due to hits and scratches after the coin was struck. 

2000 wounded or speared eagle is a die gouge HH, maybe there is a die crack type that I don't know about.

On 8/17/2023 at 6:47 AM, Fenntucky Mike said:

2000 wounded or speared eagle is a die gouge HH, maybe there is a die crack type that I don't know about.

Its the same one your talking about. I just called it a crack instead of a gouge. My bad. 

On 8/16/2023 at 8:59 PM, abcd43130 said:

Some of the "errors" I have read about, like the spitting buffulo, has a premium to them.  do some bag marks ever have a premium? even a small premium? like $1?

Bag marks are common and considered damage instead of an error. I would say worth 25 cents.

Try looking through those 2020 quarters for a W mint mark they are worth a few bucks. They were selling for $20-$80 or more but that was when the hype for them was strong.

I don't know about currently. That was with high grades though. I have collected them all through circulation or roll hunting when they were first released. I don't see them very often anymore. Probably fairly circulated by now but you could find ones in good condition :)

20230817_085145.thumb.jpg.5e241793f93adae42cb1d96791da5213.jpg20230817_085212.thumb.jpg.8fd6dbf632867dac7483bd0425bb18c0.jpg

On 8/17/2023 at 12:30 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Does anyone know why these quarters would be turning golden after being put in flips when they were metallic grey originally? Was just curious. No biggie lol

If you live in a hot, humid, climate or you are a smoker, any coins you have are prone to developing toning faster than coins stored in a cool dry non smoking environment.   If you are pulling coins from circulation those coins have been handled by multiple people and will have skin oil and other contaminates on the surface, the conditions I noted will hasten the tone those contaminates produce.   To stop that from happening, you could give each coin a short bath in pure acetone to wash off the contaminates, pure acetone will have no effect on coins and evaporates without leaving a residue.  Just use caution as acetone is very flammable.

On 8/16/2023 at 6:59 PM, abcd43130 said:

Bag marks are never worth a premium, however, that does not preclude some sellers who are either clueless or attempting to scam buyers from listing damaged coins for sale with moon money asking prices.   You will see endless examples of this on sites like ebay, etsy, FB, IG, and hyped by bogus videos on you tube, this has become far more prevalent since COVID.