• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

NGC $2.5 Gold Indian Short Set
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I don't think you will find much on the history of the registry sets, like the NGC Registry - Gold Quarter Eagles, The registry sets are just suggestions on different ways to collect particular coins which are then approved to be added to the registry.

You are probably better off finding information about the various coins in those registry sets, like doing some reading about Indian Head Gold Quarter Eagle coins.  See this link for some good resourses on coins ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/428817-resources-for-new-collectors/

What do you mean by a "short set"? A full set of Indian head quarter eagles (two and a half dollar gold pieces) consists of only 15 pieces dated between 1908 and 1929, with no pieces issued dated from 1916 through 1924.  Only the "key" 1911-D sells for a substantial premium in all grades.

On 8/15/2023 at 8:22 PM, Sandon said:

What do you mean by a "short set"? A full set of Indian head quarter eagles (two and a half dollar gold pieces) consists of only 15 pieces ... 

Like you said there is not that many circulation strikes to begin with.  But perhaps a one-a-year Indian head quarter eagle date set (13 coins), an "early date" 1908-1915 one-a-year Indian head quarter eagle date set (8 coins), or a late date 1925-1929 one-a-year set (5 coins).

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, BruBen said:

Apologies; I assumed folks were familiar with these... Attached a photo of set.

Thanks

NGC $2.5 Short Set.jpg

Well that is kinda cool. That is a special set. I would think it would be a hard to sell item. Something that would sit in the safe. 

There is no specific registry set category for this so-called "short set", for which some dealer who had a number of these later dates probably arranged with NGC to create a special multi-coin holder for a bulk submission. The only applicable registry set category is for the full set, circulation issue.  Indian Head Quarter Eagles 1908-1929, Circulation Issue Sets | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com). If you've entered the serial numbers for each of the five coins into your coin list, you can use it to create a partial registry set.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:12 AM, Sandon said:

There is no specific registry set category for this so-called "short set", for which some dealer who had a number of these later dates probably arranged with NGC to create a special multi-coin holder for a bulk submission. The only applicable registry set category is for the full set, circulation issue.  Indian Head Quarter Eagles 1908-1929, Circulation Issue Sets | NGC Registry | NGC (ngccoin.com). If you've entered the serial numbers for each of the five coins into your coin list, you can use it to create a partial registry set.

I did look it up but the NGC value is only the value price of one coin. 

Thanks everyone. Probably won't be selling in the foreseeable future. In today's world; I think I purchased for a reasonable price. Was only hoping to glean some history on these types of sets. Maybe I'll try the Ask NGC/ NCS board as well.

Thanks again everyone

On 8/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, BruBen said:

Thanks everyone. Probably won't be selling in the foreseeable future. In today's world; I think I purchased for a reasonable price. Was only hoping to glean some history on these types of sets. Maybe I'll try the Ask NGC/ NCS board as well.

Thanks again everyone

I wanted to say welcome but I see you have been a member for 4 years.  I do like it I think it is a unique set, it just would not work for me.   

On 8/16/2023 at 10:47 AM, BruBen said:

Apologies; I assumed folks were familiar with these... Attached a photo of set.

Thanks

A 1925-1929 five (5) coin set of Indian Head gold quarter eagles is not a common set of gold coins, or one you would find in the NGC or PCG$ registry sets (example attached).  It looks like something a particular dealer did as a marketing thing.

On 8/16/2023 at 11:39 AM, BruBen said:

Probably won't be selling in the foreseeable future.

It's a nice set of gold quarter eagles that I would also probably just hang onto, and maybe use that as a starting point for a complete 13 or 15 coin registry set, as there are individual NGC certification numbers for each coin.

It may be a little difficult to sell all at once, as you would expect the average collector looking to buy gold quarter eagles would do that one at a time or look to fill in some missing years one at a time.  Might be worthwhile to look into Re-holdering individual coins by NGC when it does come time to sell them.

Indian Head Quarter Eagle PCGS Registry Sets.jpg

Edited by EagleRJO

On 8/17/2023 at 2:23 PM, EagleRJO said:

A 1925-1929 five (5) coin set of Indian Head gold quarter eagles is not a common set of gold coins, or one you would find in the NGC or PCG$ registry sets (example attached).  It looks like something a particular dealer did as a marketing thing.

It's a nice set of gold quarter eagles that I would also probably just hang onto, and maybe use that as a starting point for a complete 13 or 15 coin registry set, as there are individual NGC certification numbers for each coin.

It may be a little difficult to sell all at once, as you would expect the average collector looking to buy gold quarter eagles would do that one at a time or look to fill in some missing years one at a time.  Might be worthwhile to look into Re-holdering individual coins by NGC when it does come time to sell them.

Indian Head Quarter Eagle PCGS Registry Sets.jpg

Thank you for your insight and advice. Had no idea this set would have such a negative aspect to it... I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford to complete a set. When I saw it.... I just had to try and get it. Fortunately I only had to bid against jewelry/ scrap metal folks who could care less about the numismatic value.

On 8/17/2023 at 4:12 PM, BruBen said:

Had no idea this set would have such a negative aspect to it... 

I don't think it's really so much a negative aspect as that is a nice set of quarter eagles.  It's just an unusual way to buy them, and with that kind of set I am assuming you picked them up for a good price.

It just may take a little while to find the right buyer for the full set, or cost a little extra to have them re-holdered individually, when you sell them.  And if you wait on re-holdering them until you have other coins to submit to NGC to minimize shipping and handling costs per coin, or have a local coin shop send them in for you as part of a bulk submittal, it shouldn't cost very much per coin to have that done.