• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Weight of NGC holders
1 1

13 posts in this topic

On 8/12/2023 at 5:09 AM, Boo60 said:

Hi all, 

Does anyone know the weight of a current NGC holder for a 2 ounce gold coin. Thanks in advance for any answers. 

There's no exact weight when it comes to NGC slabs due to their manufacturing and sonic sealing process. If you already know the weight of your coin then subtract the weight of the coin from the overall weight after the coin has been slabbed to figure out the weight of the NGC slab. Hope this helps.

Okay thanks. I have seen posts on other sites saying they are around 38 grams. I was just looking for an easy weight test on coins I buy. So if the coin weighs 60 grams and the slab 38 that gives us about 98 in total as a quick test. 

As NGC doesn't represent that its holders of any era will conform to any standard weight, I wouldn't consider the determination of the weight of a particular holder a worthwhile exercise. If you're concerned about the coin and holder being counterfeit, you should check the holder's serial number and grade on NGC Certificate Verification, which for a certification since 2009 or so should include a photo of the holder, including the coin in it. NGC Cert Lookup | Verify NGC Certification | NGC (ngccoin.com). It's also worthwhile, even if you only collect certified coins, to study the series you collect so that you know what genuine pieces are supposed to look like.

On 8/12/2023 at 12:34 PM, Boo60 said:

Just as a double check. 

Oh. My. Goodness.

NGC has reaffirmed its commitment to integrity in coin certification by aggressively pursuing justice in a scheme that targeted the numismatic community. The defendant in the case, Richard Albright, removed NGC-certified coins from their holders and replaced them with coins of inferior grade and value. The lesser coins, which Mr. Albright encased in holders that misrepresented their authenticity and condition, were sold by him to unsuspecting collectors and dealers. hm

On 8/15/2023 at 5:46 AM, Boo60 said:

NGC has reaffirmed its commitment to integrity in coin certification by aggressively pursuing justice in a scheme that targeted the numismatic community. The defendant in the case, Richard Albright, removed NGC-certified coins from their holders and replaced them with coins of inferior grade and value. The lesser coins, which Mr. Albright encased in holders that misrepresented their authenticity and condition, were sold by him to unsuspecting collectors and dealers. hm

Not just Richard Albright. There are literally THOUSANDS out there running slabbed coin scams. BUY IN PERSON, FACE TO FACE! It's the ONLY answer to the problem. I'd no more buy a coin through the mail than I'd buy Lamborghini parts from China.

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/12/2023 at 1:00 PM, EagleRJO said:

Why do you want to weigh coins that are already authenticated and slabbed?

On 8/12/2023 at 1:34 PM, Boo60 said:

Just as a double check. 

I wouldn't bother weighing coins in slabs due to the unknown holder weight.  They are not standardized with specified weights you can look up like specifications with tolerances for US mint coins.

You are better off getting familiar with authentication and grading standards to then examine the coins that are in holders as a double check.  The following topic has some good recourses and recommendations related to that as a good starting point ... https://boards.ngccoin.com/topic/430263-basic-resources-glossary-for-those-posting-questions/

On 8/12/2023 at 5:32 AM, Boo60 said:

So if the coin weighs 60 grams and the slab 38 that gives us about 98 in total as a quick test. 

Yes but not a very good test because the coin weight will have a +/- tolerance range, and most likely the slab weight will also have an unknown +/- tolerance weight range.

On 9/3/2023 at 11:39 PM, Conder101 said:

Yes but not a very good test because the coin weight will have a +/- tolerance range, and most likely the slab weight will also have an unknown +/- tolerance weight range.

And slabs containing, for example, dimes, SHOULD WEIGH MORE than slabs containing larger coins, due to the increased weight of the inner holder.