• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1903 Barber Quarter. Opinions on condition and anything else someone wants to add
1 1

17 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2023 at 3:11 PM, RWB said:

EF condition but scrubbed and unnatural looking.

Thanks, yeah the photos look grey sadly. Does have natural color in person but I believe it has been dipped? With the naked eye you can't see any marks in the fields or majority of the coin just wear on some areas. 

This 1903 Barber quarter has Extremely Fine details but has definitely been cleaned, with an unnatural color.  Refer to my comments on your 1856 quarter eagle with regard to "cleaning".

On 8/10/2023 at 4:30 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Does have natural color in person but I believe it has been dipped? With the naked eye you can't see any marks in the fields or majority of the coin just wear on some areas. 

The scratches and other marks are present, your photos merely make them more easily visible. An experienced collector will easily spot them without help. As for color, the combination of texture and color is not natural; however, your photos do not seem to show typical chloride or sulfide commonly seen on acid "dipped" coins.

I agree with the others. You can tell where its been harshly cleaned at one point in its time. You can espically tell by the scratches on the obverse. Also the natural luster is gone and replaced by the dull gray color. 

Someone used silver household tarnish remover like Tarn X  and/or another abrasive silver polish on this coin. It does as others said appear as if its been glass bead/ sand blasted or something from the weird pocky surface. It's a shame it was a nice coin until someone messed with it.

I did find out a a day or so later that some settings on my phone was one reason my pics didn't look like what they show in person. This is a a different picture after taking off a setting. Still doesn't show its silver reflectiveness in person. 20230811_201006.thumb.jpg.c805a7dbeb5d21354a88b27893b8cfb2.jpgnot that ugly matte grey but closer lol 

On 8/10/2023 at 5:18 PM, RWB said:

The scratches and other marks are present, your photos merely make them more easily visible. An experienced collector will easily spot them without help. As for color, the combination of texture and color is not natural; however, your photos do not seem to show typical chloride or sulfide commonly seen on acid "dipped" coins.

If you read a post above you can see why my pictures were making it that ugly matte grey color still not 100% but closer. Sadly still cleaned lol

Still been cleaned. Theres other evidence of cleaning other than the color. You can tell by the hairlines on the obverse. Its still a keeper in my opinion. I wouldnt have it graded if it were mine. Id store it in a coin flip or a coin capsule. I dont think its worth grading. Sadly my sisters step son found one about the same caliber while metal detecting. Before he could get hold of me to look at it he scrubbed it with a tooth brush to remove the dirt. I was heartbroken when i seen it. If hed just called me sooner I couldve advised him not to do that. From what ive learned on here cleaning a coin was common practice in the old days. Thats why u see so many older coins with cleaning. Now its frowned upon by true collectors. I can see why. It ruins a coin in my opinion unless its conserved professionally by experts such as NCS. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/12/2023 at 8:01 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Still been cleaned. Theres other evidence of cleaning other than the color. You can tell by the hairlines on the obverse. Its still a keeper in my opinion. I wouldnt have it graded if it were mine. Id store it in a coin flip or a coin capsule. I dont think its worth grading. Sadly my sisters step son found one about the same caliber while metal detecting. Before he could get hold of me to look at it he scrubbed it with a tooth brush to remove the dirt. I was heartbroken when i seen it. If hed just called me sooner I couldve advised him not to do that. 

Oh that is heart breaking! Especially finding something metal detecting! I always wanted to invest in one but most places in Missouri require a permit and you can't keep what you find on public lands. I could be mistaken though. Seems like only asking property owner permission from farmers, properties that are historically old etc. That must be a great feeling :) lesson learned

On 8/12/2023 at 9:14 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Oh that is heart breaking! Especially finding something metal detecting! I always wanted to invest in one but most places in Missouri require a permit and you can't keep what you find on public lands. I could be mistaken though. Seems like only asking property owner permission from farmers, properties that are historically old etc. That must be a great feeling :) lesson learned

He found that one in his front yard. That was a heck of a find. We do alot of metal detecting on private land here close to the house. We got quite a bit of public land around here close also such as Daniel Boone National Forest but I think metal detecting is prohibited on it. Luckily where I live out in the country there are several land owners who give us permission to go on theyre properties. Ive never found anything nice myself. Yet anyways. The oldest coin I found was a badly damaged 50s era wheat cent. 

Edited by Hoghead515

On 8/12/2023 at 8:19 PM, Hoghead515 said:

He found that one in his front yard. That was a heck of a find. We do alot of metal detecting on private land here close to the house. We got quite a bit of public land around here close also such as Daniel Boone National Forest but I think metal detecting is prohibited on it. Luckily where I live out in the country there are several land owners who give us permission to go on theyre properties. 

Thats awesome I'm sure that find got him hooked and digging up the yard lol Have you had any luck or cool finds? That's awesome people in the community are nice enough to let you. Good luck with your possible Jesse James or another Kentucky Hoard find best of luck! 

On 8/12/2023 at 9:26 PM, NeverEnoughCoins09 said:

Thats awesome I'm sure that find got him hooked and digging up the yard lol Have you had any luck or cool finds? That's awesome people in the community are nice enough to let you. Good luck with your possible Jesse James or another Kentucky Hoard find best of luck! 

Hes got holes dug up everywhere. lol. Looks like a D9 dozer been in their yard.  Sadly thats the only thing he found that was exciting. He called me all excited saying he found a silver ingot. :roflmao:I looked at it and it was a chunk of aluminum broke off something. I got a kick out of that. Hes found all kinds of modern change. The only thing I found was a 50s era wheat cent that was badly damaged. I did find an old worm off a moonshine still. And a dog tag from ww2 era that has the Lords prayer on it. Im still looking though. I just know Im gonna find a decent find soon. 

Edited by Hoghead515