• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dime, reeded edge
1 1

13 posts in this topic

I hope everyone is doing well. I have a dime that I thought was interesting, the reeded edge has a copper color and silver. It goes around the entire edge like it was pushed together. The dime is a bit worn but I tried my best to get a good picture. 

VideoCapture_20230809-001333.jpg

VideoCapture_20230809-001422.jpg

Edited by smashan8

On 8/9/2023 at 12:37 AM, smashan8 said:

20230809_001653.thumb.jpg.395ad65717d89af0028c5b2719e4eb6d.jpg

All modern dimes (1965 - present) are clad while classic dimes (1964 and older) are 90 percent silver. Based on that you have a normal 2004 circulated dime.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:48 AM, smashan8 said:

Yeah I just thought it was interesting to see. Is it okay to share images and findings as such? Or should posts only be for questions? 20230809_001653.thumb.jpg.395ad65717d89af0028c5b2719e4eb6d.jpg

Preferably questions about legitimate coins in terms of if it's worth the grading fees and or coins that you're not certain are genuine. 

On 8/9/2023 at 12:48 AM, smashan8 said:

Yeah I just thought it was interesting to see. Is it okay to share images and findings as such? Or should posts only be for questions? 20230809_001653.thumb.jpg.395ad65717d89af0028c5b2719e4eb6d.jpg

Feel free to post images of any coin about which you may have questions or that you find interesting. We always like to look at pictures of coins, especially if they are clear and cropped as yours are.

On 8/9/2023 at 1:49 AM, smashan8 said:

I read the forum guidelines, but it's fair I might have missed something. 

...u can post almost anything, including roosters n catfish (both have been done) but coin related subjects r best suited etc...questions r the general but there r many statements, discoveries n just general conversation relating to collecting e.g. holders, certifications, grading, precious metals etc....

On 8/8/2023 at 10:48 PM, smashan8 said:

Yeah I just thought it was interesting to see. Is it okay to share images and findings as such? Or should posts only be for questions? 

Posts don't have to contain questions. However, if you post a coin without a question, and no one comments--which would be pretty normal with parking lot damaged modern stuff--that would be because those who looked at it didn't think you needed any input. Speaking just for me, if I were to see your original post in the feed, I'd say: "Reeded edge. Dime. Means nothing to me." But that wouldn't mean you did anything wrong, just that it doesn't fit my personal interests.

Now, if you posted one like that, and twenty minutes later posted again ragging on us for not giving you an instant reply, that'd be different. But you did not do that. You'd be amazed how many people think they can just post a pic with no explanation, and that we'll all look at it immediately and then use our psychic powers to divine what the poster wants to know. I just block people who do that, as I just block anyone who in my view is an insufficiently_considerate_or_intelligent_person.

On 8/9/2023 at 9:04 AM, zadok said:

... u can post almost anything, including roosters n catfish ...

Sure, here is an example of each. (:

Catfish.jpg

1907 Rooster.jpg

We will generally check out any coin someone posts, but please ask a question about it and you will get an honest answer. Your photos were sufficient enough for this post.

On 8/9/2023 at 6:32 PM, JKK said:

Posts don't have to contain questions. However, if you post a coin without a question, and no one comments--which would be pretty normal with parking lot damaged modern stuff--that would be because those who looked at it didn't think you needed any input. Speaking just for me, if I were to see your original post in the feed, I'd say: "Reeded edge. Dime. Means nothing to me." But that wouldn't mean you did anything wrong, just that it doesn't fit my personal interests.

Now, if you posted one like that, and twenty minutes later posted again ragging on us for not giving you an instant reply, that'd be different. But you did not do that. You'd be amazed how many people think they can just post a pic with no explanation, and that we'll all look at it immediately and then use our psychic powers to divine what the poster wants to know. I just block people who do that, as I just block anyone who in my view is an insufficiently_considerate_or_intelligent_person.

I see, which everything you suggested and mentioned does make sense. :) I wasn't sure how to title this post, as I knew more than likely this was something that had been seen before. I wouldn't have been offended if no one had responded, I would of assumed my post was of no interest, like you mentioned. It's all a learning experience for me, and I'm thankful for the truth from others. 'you won't know, unless you ask'. :)

On 8/10/2023 at 3:57 AM, smashan8 said:

I see, which everything you suggested and mentioned does make sense. :) I wasn't sure how to title this post, as I knew more than likely this was something that had been seen before. I wouldn't have been offended if no one had responded, I would of assumed my post was of no interest, like you mentioned. It's all a learning experience for me, and I'm thankful for the truth from others. 'you won't know, unless you ask'. :)

If a post's title is of no interest, anyone with any maturity will just pass it by. Not everyone here is that mature. We have at least one person, around whom their world absolutely revolves, who finds it necessary to post to tell people they are not interested in the poster's coin or question. As the millennials used to say, totes brills. But that's not malice, just narcissism.

The smart way to title the post is to summarize the coin and the question. "1880 Liberty dollar grade and value" is beautiful, for example, because that's what a novice might be able to tell about an 1880 Morgan. Whether they called it a Morgan, or even knew of the possibility of a mint mark, is beside the point because the information is enough for people to decide whether to look--and they can post to clarify the coin's attribution when they offer a grade and value estimate.

Sometimes it's hard to know that much. I'm mainly into ancients and Islamic world stuff, and I don't scoff at someone who posts a jital and says "can't identify Arab coin." (Jitals mostly contain some Arabic -script but are from the region of Afghanistan, which is not Arabic-speaking.) Or someone who's got a common worn fourth-century ant of Constantius (good for me as a sleep aid; if I see one more I'll become narcoleptic) and titles it "Ancient Greek coin." People mislabel tokens as coins all the time in titles. If people would use their brains, they'd see that the poster in those cases is trying their best with what they can see. Of course they have no f-bombing idea it's not Greek. That's why they asked! And it takes some guts to risk being wrong. So those are never a downside, at least in my mind. They tried. Add something about what they want, such as "please identify" or "worth much?" and the title is golden.

The dumb way is to just say N000Bzz PLZ HELP as the title, or something else that tells us very little except that their writing is probably agonizing to make out. That tells us we are dealing with someone who does not bother to see the world from our perspective, raising the question whether we should bother with them (some Good Samarican always will). They'll probably post one of the famous forty-line paras with no punctuation. They'll nearly always have pareidolia (fancy word for wishful thinking; wishful vision, if you will). They'll argue with us, threaten to have it graded and prove us wrong (that'll fix our little red wagons). They write like children and they behave like children, but get angry when treated like children. Some even bring race into it, as if we had any idea whether they were white, black, Asian, Hispanic, or blue with pink dots. Or cared.

Basically, what do you think you have, and what do you want to know. "1964D Lincoln DDO?" is fine, because at least that means when we answer to tell them that it's just mechanical doubling, and that when you post a pic of the reverse the term would be 'DDR' if that were in play, we knew what it was about and had a question to answer.