• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Guess the inexpected metal added when making copper-nickel five cent coins in 1938.
1 1

11 posts in this topic

This is something most would not expect to find in their normal packet change nickels.

We'll give it a couple of days before posting the material and reason for its use.  :)

.750 / .250 copper / nickel same composition used as before. Was there something used to clean planchets maybe sodium compound ?

Of the scores of sites I consulted (I call it research, others call it cheating) three represented they possessed the secret which I, as a user, tried to access unsuccessfully, being warned to back out before all manner of harm befell me.

So I learned a great deal about the 1938 (except why the 8 in the date was compressed) along with the usual 75/25 nickel/copper composition.

I do have a theory based on my familiarity with the Periodic Table of Elements: cobalt and zinc which sandwich the two metals used on either side.  Bear in mind the nickel's standard weight is 5.0 grams, the same exact weight as its predecessor, the Buffalo Head nickel. I don't think I am old enough to venture onto the dark or deep web, so I will await your disclosure.

On 8/5/2023 at 6:43 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Im gonna take a wild guess. Im probably totally wrong and may get laughed at. Ive not studied on these but I think I remember something about using magnese. Im totally ignorant when it comes to nickels. My vote is magnese. 

Well, we have an early winner! Manganese is correct.

"Manganese is used as a whitener and preventive of oxidation and it also tends to make the ingots less hard, and if carbon is present, to rid the melt of this deleterious element which, if present in sufficient quantity and annealing temperature is unduly high, will result in brittleness. The addition of manganese may be as high as 0.0075 percent without bad effects....With regard to manganese, this metal is added to each melt of ingots in the proportion of 1/20 of 1% of the weight of the melt."

"Methods of Coining Five Cent Copper-Nickel Coins in United States Mints at Philadelphia and San Francisco," December 19, 1938. [ RG104 Entry 328H Box 2.]

Edited by RWB

Hoghead515 can pick up his prize whenever convenient. ...  Oh, realized no prize was mentioned....OK , well how about a hearty handshake and a sincere "Well Done."

On 8/6/2023 at 2:12 PM, RWB said:

Hoghead515 can pick up his prize whenever convenient. ...  Oh, realized no prize was mentioned....OK , well how about a hearty handshake and a sincere "Well Done."

That sounds good enough. The knowledge I learned from this post is good enough of a prize. I cant believe I got that right. I remember reading about that somewhere. It stuck in my mind. Ive not read a whole lot about nickels. I plan to in the near future. 

On 8/6/2023 at 4:00 PM, Hoghead515 said:

That sounds good enough. The knowledge I learned from this post is good enough of a prize. I cant believe I got that right. I remember reading about that somewhere. It stuck in my mind. Ive not read a whole lot about nickels. I plan to in the near future. 

...maybe in a box of magazines u got one day?...

FYI - the precise alloy is an excellent means for identifying highest quality counterfeits. The crooks match physical and visual appearance, but alloy is much tougher.