• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getting ready to sort through some boxes of coins
1 1

25 posts in this topic

We can’t really see anything yet, for all we know it might be some leftovers from the fridge. Please post clear cropped pictures of both sides of each coin that you want an opinion on. Please don’t send a bunch of fuzzy pictures taken from a distance. Please don’t send a mass request

Although we can help you with a few pieces, you should really have a collection this large professionally appraised. If you don't want to do that, at least obtain a current "Red Book", a grading guide, and up-to-date price guides as described in the following topic:

Samples of coins in collection - please keep in mind that these are all being posted FOR SALE on Etsy for now - CLICK HERE TO VIEW. Just wanted to share some others I have not listed. 

1798 Draped Bust Dollar, Pointed 9, Wide Date, ANACS Graded EF Details, Damaged-Cleaned, NET F 12image.thumb.jpeg.6c82835109ca046abe76b03ec9e9492f.jpeg1798 Draped Bust Dollar, Pointed 9, Wide Date, ANACS Graded EF Details, Damaged-Cleaned, NET F 12 

1812 Classic Head Large Cents Large Date Early Copper Pennyimage.thumb.jpeg.73c24a70de0dd1b44b4b871f32ff09b5.jpeg 1812 Classic Head Large Cents Large Date Early Copper Penny

1852 Gold 1 dollar Regular Strike Graded by ANACS AU55image.thumb.jpeg.4a25c60ac910cddf71511f04d35cdc7e.jpeg1852 Gold 1 dollar Regular Strike Graded by ANACS AU55

1906 Liberty Head 2.50 Gold Piece Graded by ANACS AU581906 Liberty Head 2.50 Gold Piece Graded by ANACS AU58

1908 Motto 10 dollar Indian Head Gold Piece Graded by ANACS MS62image.thumb.jpeg.d739bdf5e690395625d1191ef4ea883b.jpeg1908 Motto 10 dollar Indian Head Gold Piece Graded by ANACS MS62

il_1588xN.1674517053_hrh0.thumb.jpg.1516f1c0d67ce50a9e6449a6b6d2df9c.jpgimage.thumb.jpeg.1902e58d45f4408464840a09a5ec2e24.jpeg1915 2.50 Indian Head Gold Coin Graded by ANACS AU58

1989 6 Coin Proof U.S. Congressional Coins w/ CoAimage.thumb.jpeg.9525adfe5d29fd21ad9330b081681730.jpeg1989 6 Coin Proof U.S. Congressional Coins w/ CoA

il_1588xN.1674484547_ci56.jpg

il_1588xN.1674516895_fklq.jpg

Once you start,  it can be difficult to stop sorting.   For some reason I have thousands of wheat pennies and potential error year pennies.    I have been seeing pennies in my sleep since I started before the weekend.    

On 8/2/2023 at 2:23 PM, RWB said:

(Personally, I don't feel you are being completely forthright in your comment "getting ready to sort through." Seems you've done that.)

I think you hit the nail on the head as it seems they have already posted more than 80 coins for outrageously high prices on Etsy (go figure they are posted on a coin scam site), and are hoping to generate traffic to rip people off.

Curious that they did not post them on eBay where it is much easier to find sold listings outlining how outrageous the prices are.

All of you ‘gentlemen’ are funny. Yes it has taken over 5 years to sort through our grandfathers 1000s upon 1000s of coins, stamps, clocks and other collectibles. As people who do not collect coins nor know how to price and don’t have the money to spend on getting everything graded (as some of you have suggested), we do not know everything, hence coming here to ask for you OPINIONS. My sister has been selling coins on her Etsy for 5 years at prices she has thought was fair market value. Up until I (Meagan) joined this forum to do more research, this was all the info we had. So sorry (not sorry) if you all think the prices are too high. That is why we are HERE to ask you guys for opinions and prices on what you would suggest they go for. Unfortunately you guys aren’t very nice or helpful, and instead of providing some helpful information, you bash us and claim we are lying or trying to get traffic to our website. Yes we would like to sell these coins since we have been sitting on them for far too long, but we are not liars or trying to grift people. We also sell on EBay but did not provide the link and will NOT be providing the link as we find you to be rude and don’t want to sell to people who can’t be helpful with information. 

Unfortunately, as Kurt noted you picked the one place with the worst reputation for selling coins, which reflects on the sellers.

On 8/3/2023 at 10:37 AM, meaggiimoo said:

That is why we are HERE to ask you guys for opinions and prices on what you would suggest they go for

You can easily look up book values for coins with the NGC and PCGS price guides.  And you can get more accurate current pricing from auction sites like Great Collections or ebay sold listings.  Pretty simple stuff to look up, so lets see what you do with that information now.

https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide/united-states/

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/us

https://www.greatcollections.com/Auction-Archive/US-Coin-Prices

On 8/3/2023 at 9:37 AM, meaggiimoo said:

All of you ‘gentlemen’ are funny. Yes it has taken over 5 years to sort through our grandfathers 1000s upon 1000s of coins, stamps, clocks and other collectibles. As people who do not collect coins nor know how to price and don’t have the money to spend on getting everything graded (as some of you have suggested), we do not know everything, hence coming here to ask for you OPINIONS. My sister has been selling coins on her Etsy for 5 years at prices she has thought was fair market value. Up until I (Meagan) joined this forum to do more research, this was all the info we had. So sorry (not sorry) if you all think the prices are too high. That is why we are HERE to ask you guys for opinions and prices on what you would suggest they go for. Unfortunately you guys aren’t very nice or helpful, and instead of providing some helpful information, you bash us and claim we are lying or trying to get traffic to our website. Yes we would like to sell these coins since we have been sitting on them for far too long, but we are not liars or trying to grift people. We also sell on EBay but did not provide the link and will NOT be providing the link as we find you to be rude and don’t want to sell to people who can’t be helpful with information. 

I assumed you were Ashley, so that was a mistake on my part. Sorry, Meagan.

Go back and look at your first post. You said, "Getting ready to sort through some boxes of coins that my grandfather collected." You posted a picture of unopened boxes of what appears to be mint and proof sets. The clear implication is that you had just gotten these coins and had not gone through them yet. No mention of the fact that you had already been selling them for five years. Since none of us are mind readers, this sets the tone for every response that follows. At this point, we all think that you are looking for an education, and not for assistance in your ongoing sales venture. You asked for "insight," which could mean anything from the history of the coins, to the mintage figures, to an opinion on the appearance of the coins. You did not specifically ask for assistance in pricing, so how are members supposed to know this is what you were looking for?

In your second post you stated that some coins were being listed on Etsy (Instant red flag in the mind of every member, although you did not know this) then said, "Just wanted to share some others I have not listed."  Again, no request for assistance in pricing. But your third posts says, "That is why we are HERE to ask you guys for opinions and prices on what you would suggest they go for." How are we supposed to assist with pricing if you don't ask for that assistance? We aren't usually in the habit of telling sellers what they should charge unless asked.

Another quote: "...don’t have the money to spend on getting everything graded (as some of you have suggested),..."  This statement is not true. Please show us where any member suggested you have any of your coins graded. Because Sandon thought, as did all of us, that you had just received this large collection, he suggested you have them appraised by a local dealer or another party experienced in coin appraisal. That is not the same as sending them off to have them graded. No one else even mentioned grading or appraisal.

The claim that you have been selling coins for five years, but don't know how to price them does not hold water, especially if you sell on Ebay. A quick look at "Sold" listings would have given you all the information required to properly price your coins. And, as mentioned by others, there are numerous books and online resources to offer guidance, as well. Five years is a very long time to wander around in the dark.

Some of the most honest, genuine, and generous people I have ever met are members of this forum, but we really hate to see people being taken advantage of. As I said in my earlier post, it is your right to charge whatever you feel comfortable charging, but you shouldn't expect dedicated collectors you assist you in gouging people.

Edited by Just Bob

To be fair to this OP, not EVERY listing they have is outrageous. Some are merely high-ish. None are real bargains. And many ARE completely outrageous. If they’re actually selling many of these pieces at these asking prices, they should claim SOME of the income as the same as a rip-off for-profit college does. Their “students” are paying a stiff tuition for the education they’re getting, and there’s not even a diploma at the end. 

The OP is screwing MOST of their customers, but oddly, a FEW fairly priced items are sprinkled within. Weird.

You can get yourself a Red Book. They have them on Etsy for $17.99. It lists basic fair market values for coins. Btw, I have no interest in buying any coins from any of the random posters in this forum. I also have never ever even looked at a coin on Etsy. I don't trust the sourcing of their merchandise. While it may not be the best, eBay is not the worst place for selling coins.

On 8/3/2023 at 5:20 PM, powermad5000 said:

You can get yourself a Red Book. They have them on Etsy for $17.99. It lists basic fair market values for coins. Btw, I have no interest in buying any coins from any of the random posters in this forum. I also have never ever even looked at a coin on Etsy. I don't trust the sourcing of their merchandise. While it may not be the best, eBay is not the worst place for selling coins.

In my opinion, eBay USED TO BE okay. In recent times, it is becoming an Etsy-like cesspool. It’s a sad thing. 

On 8/3/2023 at 5:29 PM, VKurtB said:

In my opinion, eBay USED TO BE okay. In recent times, it is becoming an Etsy-like cesspool. It’s a sad thing.

There are still some sellers on there who are fair and level which are usually coin dealers that also have brink and mortar stores but also sell on there. It is some of the "casual" sellers that are quite shady. Like buying anything online, it is important to do some research not just into the item but into the seller as well.

I sell on there. I even have followers (not sure how that happened) and some repeat customers. But with the new 1099-K rules, my listings are now severely limited as I don't agree with the new rules, therefore, I do not want to participate in engaging the new rules. So, I am back to the more "old school" method, taking coins to shows and shops and making deals.

Was the dearly departed a member of a local coin club? If so, go to a meeting, introduce yourself, and ask for help in fairly handling this important part of the estate. Don’t take the first offer you get. There ARE sharks in the club waters too. There will be old friends who would LOVE to help their departed buddy’s family move and fairly price the items. 

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, powermad5000 said:

There are still some sellers on there who are fair and level which are usually coin dealers that also have brink and mortar stores but also sell on there. It is some of the "casual" sellers that are quite shady. Like buying anything online, it is important to do some research not just into the item but into the seller as well.

I sell on there. I even have followers (not sure how that happened) and some repeat customers. But with the new 1099-K rules, my listings are now severely limited as I don't agree with the new rules, therefore, I do not want to participate in engaging the new rules. So, I am back to the more "old school" method, taking coins to shows and shops and making deals.

I feel your 1099-K pain. 

On 8/3/2023 at 3:23 PM, VKurtB said:

There is virtually ZERO value added from having moderns graded, even modern American silver and gold.

Yep. Good judgement.

On 8/2/2023 at 1:24 PM, meaggiimoo said:

1798 Draped Bust Dollar, Pointed 9, Wide Date, ANACS Graded

How would the OP describe and illustrate this slabbed coin?

On 8/3/2023 at 7:07 PM, RWB said:

Yep. Good judgement.

How would the OP describe and illustrate this slabbed coin?

Does ANY service still do “net grading”? I haven’t seen it in YEARS AND YEARS. 

What I’d call a 1798 dollar with THAT MUCH “meat on the bone”, but Damaged and Cleaned? A tragedy. That’s what I’d call it. But years pass and stuff happens. 

Have you looked at the hair on the obverse of that 1812 cent? Taking just that single element of the coin, I am awestruck. Not the best photo, and the gunk on the reverse hurts my soul, but… THAT HAIR!

Edited by VKurtB

On 8/3/2023 at 5:37 PM, powermad5000 said:

Agreed. There are good guys on eBay. Problem is, their PERCENTAGE of the total is dropping. eBay is in a no-win situation. They are being overwhelmed and damaged by their own success and are becoming more afraid of “doing the right thing” in this verkockte litigious environment. Any time any firm is afraid of their bad apples’ lawyers, good things are going bad. 

On 8/3/2023 at 6:37 PM, powermad5000 said:

There are still some sellers on there who are fair and level which are usually coin dealers that also have brink and mortar stores but also sell on there.

That is one of the things I look for when buying raw coins on ebay, or at least that it is one of the larger dealers who have listings there.