• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If you were to win...
1 1

45 posts in this topic

... tonight's Mega Millions lottery -- jackpot now North of One Billion Dollars, would the trajectory of your numismatic pursuits change and, if so, in what way?  As this question may be perceived as an invasion of privacy, it is posed solely for those inclined to answer it in a specific or general sense, as he is inclined. Anyone have an interesting or fanciful bucket list?

With that much money I'm sure my collecting habits would change a bit but I would not go crazy buying. Parts of my current collection would be donated or given away. I would start making all the large coin shows just for fun and buy a few special coins that I can only dream of today. I'm sure I would improve my Bust half collection. I would probably dump all the junk silver I have saved over the years. 

If I won I would spend it on more rarer type of high roller coins the best of the best (the stuff that’s out of our reach) … my collection I have now I would keep adding to it simply because numismatic collecting is in my blood, also invest a lot money into properties and so on … probably never work again 

On 8/1/2023 at 10:46 AM, Jason Abshier said:

If I won I would spend it on more rarer type of high roller coins the best of the best (the stuff that’s out of our reach) … my collection I have now I would keep adding to it simply because numismatic collecting is in my blood, also invest a lot money into properties and so on … probably never work again 

No road rash common cents, huh?

My area of interest would not change but my targeted grades of VG/F/VF would shift to Top Pop's :D. I could also fill those 2 or 3 unobtanium holes.

I would then have to figure out what to do next because completion would take about 2 weeks instead of the rest of my life.

On 8/1/2023 at 4:48 PM, VKurtB said:

No road rash common cents, huh?

With my luck in life some times Kurt you might as well say I’ve gotten worse of the worse GRAVEL RASH ! Road rash I can probably live with but Gravel rash is a B**ch … I should of said it more like this if I win lottery

1) invest into properties and stocks (seek/Hire a reputable financial advisor what heck would I know about owning that much money anyways I’m just an average Joe 🤷‍♂️)

2) then keep building my collection as it is and sit back make money on my investments

3) then lastly buy high roller coins 👍 

On 8/1/2023 at 6:13 PM, Jason Abshier said:

With my luck in life some times Kurt you might as well say I’ve gotten worse of the worse GRAVEL RASH ! Road rash I can probably live with but Gravel rash is a B**ch … I should of said it more like this if I win lottery

1) invest into properties and stocks (seek/Hire a reputable financial advisor what heck would I know about owning that much money anyways I’m just an average Joe 🤷‍♂️)

2) then keep building my collection as it is and sit back make money on my investments

3) then lastly buy high roller coins 👍 

The good news is that lately most "finance guys" are fiduciaries, required by law to work in YOUR best interest. Fisher advertises it mostly, but other firms do it as well. The one thing that happened while I wasn't watching is that the penalty on trading what used to be called "odd lots" is mostly gone. I speak of transactions not involving a round 100's numbers of shares. I see this in my statements and it appears to be because my advisory firm "makes a market" in stocks I buy. Essentially, if I'm buying a popular stock, they sell it to me from their own inventory. Maybe that's why they didn't want me to buy Eastman Kodak. They probably didn't make a market in that stock. So screw 'em. I bought a round 500 shares. Maybe it's sheer luck, but it's done better for me than Tesla, Microsoft, Shopify, Air Products, Service Now, Coca-Cola, Alphabet, Parker Hannafin and Netflix.

Edited by VKurtB

I would try to start buying pattern coins. Would love to start a collection of those. And older proofs. Would love to build sets of older proofs. Also would start collecting gold coins as well.  Im still yet to buy my first gold coin. 

On 8/3/2023 at 9:19 AM, Hoghead515 said:

I would try to start buying pattern coins. Would love to start a collection of those. And older proofs. Would love to build sets of older proofs. Also would start collecting gold coins as well.  Im still yet to buy my first gold coin. 

I just got my “funny looking money” for our France/UK/Ireland trip in September. No Chucky on the UK banknotes yet. Just Lizzy Dos. 

On 8/3/2023 at 1:19 PM, Moxie15 said:

It is likely that King Chuck E Cheese Ears will not be on coins and bills until they are minting 2024 examples.

He is already on circulating coins. They are a tiny minority so far, but growing by the day. Banknotes? I’ve seen specimens, but no notice yet of availability in the banking system. 

Note: to my fellow starry-eyed members, no one won the main event [though the drawing produced six "millionaires."]  The next drawing pegged at $1.25B, which is expected to rise, will take place Friday, August 4, 2023 at 11 p.m.  Good luck to all!

On 8/3/2023 at 3:11 PM, VKurtB said:

He is already on circulating coins. They are a tiny minority so far, but growing by the day. Banknotes? I’ve seen specimens, but no notice yet of availability in the banking system. 

...just a non-numismatic observation, isnt it weird that our country n other foreign countries have the most unlikely heads of state both elected n by heritage?...i thought the cream was supposed to come to the top n the dregs settled to the bottom n to make it even worse our country keeps bottom feeding election after election...maybe i could assemble a competitive display of worlds biggest losers on coins...but then make viewers n judges sick, just a thought, easily dismissed....

On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, zadok said:

...just a non-numismatic observation, isnt it weird that our country n other foreign countries have the most unlikely heads of state both elected n by heritage?...i thought the cream was supposed to come to the top n the dregs settled to the bottom n to make it even worse our country keeps bottom feeding election after election...maybe i could assemble a competitive display of worlds biggest losers on coins...but then make viewers n judges sick, just a thought, easily dismissed....

On the “other side” of U.K. currency we find a wide array of cultural icons from many fields. There is a politician on the £5 note, but he is the exception.  Winston is worth the exception.

On 8/4/2023 at 11:06 AM, VKurtB said:

On the “other side” of U.K. currency we find a wide array of cultural icons from many fields. There is a politician on the £5 note, but he is the exception.  Winston is worth the exception.

...yep there r a few worthy of the accolades...

On 8/4/2023 at 9:51 AM, zadok said:

I have a theory about the dregs vs. statesmen. I hope I am wrong, but statesmanship may be obsolete. Arguably, each of the last seven or eight national leaders in the U.S. has been measurably worse than the one before him - a straight downhill slide without exception. Maybe our real statesmanship solutions are no longer possible because no one will accept them. Maybe the problems are too hard now. I think I’ve decided to become a single issue voter. He who attempts to destroy Communist China the most thoroughly earns my vote. Not just in 2024, but in every election until I die.  

On 8/4/2023 at 12:53 PM, VKurtB said:

I have a theory about the dregs vs. statesmen. I hope I am wrong, but statesmanship may be obsolete. Arguably, each of the last seven or eight national leaders in the U.S. has been measurably worse than the one before him - a straight downhill slide without exception. Maybe our real statesmanship solutions are no longer possible because no one will accept them. Maybe the problems are too hard now. I think I’ve decided to become a single issue voter. He who attempts to destroy Communist China the most thoroughly earns my vote. Not just in 2024, but in every election until I die.  

...somehow ill work in a comment on coins, thinking bout that as i type, interesting point i need think bout that as well...but mostly agree with u...last great POTUS tore down a wall...down hill ever since...this country used to have a dozen or more fully capable candidates both parties every election, now none either party just the dregs...where have all the truly great americans gone?...maybe the political arena has become such a sewer no one with ethics, morals, dignity wants to wade in anymore?...one promise that resonated with me was the "drain the swamp" pledge, never happened just more c-r-a-p in the pool...i like ur single issue approach, one problem at a time, u concentrate on the CCP issue n ill go with NK issue n of course the candidate that promises to make american COINS beautiful again....:)

Edited by zadok

On 8/4/2023 at 5:12 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I would expand and finish my collection of half cents... and it would be epic.

Yes, yes it would. Even if you wouldn’t go with die varieties. But you probably would. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:13 PM, VKurtB said:

Yes, yes it would. Even if you wouldn’t go with die varieties. But you probably would. 

• Die Varieties
  • Die States
  • Proofs
  • Restrikes
  • Errors
  • Undertypes
  • MA Colonial Half Cents
  • NOVA Colonial Half Cents
  • 1837 Hard Times Half Cents
  • Liberitas Americana Medals
  • Dismes 

EPIC Half Cent Collection.. 

On 8/4/2023 at 5:23 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:
  • Die Varieties
  • Die States
  • Proofs
  • Restrikes
  • Errors
  • Undertypes
  • MA Colonial Half Cents
  • Dismes 

Of that list, the one that has grabbed me is the Hard Times tokens, plus Federal issues. 

On 8/4/2023 at 6:23 PM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:
  • Die Varieties
  • Die States
  • Proofs
  • Restrikes
  • Errors
  • Undertypes
  • MA Colonial Half Cents
  • Dismes 

..."deems" ??....not half dismes??....

On 8/4/2023 at 6:30 PM, zadok said:

Economics? The "dismal" science?

On 8/4/2023 at 7:30 PM, zadok said:

The 1792 disme and the 1793 half cent were made from the same hub produced by Voigt.  I would want several examples of each to overlay images and study.  The half dime is unrelated to half cents, but I agree that I should probably have one for good measure.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

FWIW:  MEGA-MILLIONS JACKPOT IS UP TO $1.35B @ T MINUS 3-1/2 HOURS, AND COUNTING. DRAWING AT 11 P.M. E.S.T.

CCP,  DPRK, RUSSIAN FEDERATION... What, me worry?

Carry on, gentlemen!