• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Batting.250 at this point
1 1

9 posts in this topic

The photos are too blurry to see whether the coin shows any form of doubling. A doubled die exhibits crisp, clear doubling that is usually at about the same level as the primary image and exhibits notching at points between the two images. You may wish to compare your coin carefully with the photos of the known (and minor) 1972-D doubled die varieties (VP-001 and VP-002) on NGC VarietyPlus at Lincoln Cents, Memorial Reverse (1959-2008) | VarietyPlus® | NGC (ngccoin.com). There may be additional varieties listed on doubleddie.com and varietyvista.com. 

Based upon your photos, it is too hard to tell if this is a 1972 D DDO variety either VP-001 or VP-002. These varieties don't have the spectacular doubling as say the 1955 Lincoln Wheat DDO so it is a little harder to tell, and is also hard to tell from just photos. Based on your description, though, I would say it is not as the description of a true 1972 D DDO is that doubling is evident in IN GOD WE TRUST, LIBERTY, and the date and mintmark. All of those features of the coin have doubling, not just a letter and a number here and there. If you are seeing some type of doubling on just a single letter and a number, then it is most likely worthless strike doubling (mechanical doubling) which is nothing more than production process quality control issues and commands no premium.

Below is a photo from NGC VarietyPlus of the VP-002 variety, so if under magnification, your FULL date does not look like this, then you just have some strike doubling worth no premium.

4444251-001a-827602-1628085351.jpg

On 7/31/2023 at 10:03 PM, Hammersred said:

I'm pretty sure this is a ddo on the lower to Middle left rim, the L, and the 2

I think you need to start over with some basics before you start looking again as it's not what you think again.  Try this topic as a start, including the link to "Resources" by Sandon.

@powermad5000  THIS... is why I don't collect doubled die coins.  I would throw-out the VP-002 every time as mechanical doubling.  The super minor doubled dies are so hard to spot, and if there is any damage or considerable wear... the value of the coin pretty much goes to face value.  

My hat is off to anyone who wants to take-on the tedious task, but I suggest that beginners don't go this route.  This skill has to be honed over time, and the collector had to dedicate themselves to learning the process of every class of doubled die to be successful.  Even then, I warn anyone who thinks that doubled die coins are "where the money is"... I have never seen a doubled die found in change that I would consider buying (at any price over face).  I am not saying this to be disparaging in anyway, but I think it is important to levelest on expectations.

I wish you all luck.

Edited by The Neophyte Numismatist

@The Neophyte Numismatist I myself am not a collector of DDO coins. I have a handful that I came across in my many many coin searches, but I was not looking for them. I do not get excited about DDO coins except that I would want a 1955 Lincoln Wheat DDO because it is so stunning and I don't need magnification to see it.

What I think we are seeing in these forums is effects of the YouTube DDO hype (or should I say hypocrisy). These uninformed insufficiently_thoughtful_people are making these videos touting worthless forms of mechanical or strike doubling and promising the viewers of this big money sales if they find one, yet the worthless doubling is pretty much everywhere so there is no money to be made but people believe there is. And they are flooding this forum in droves.

I don't really care who collects what as it has no effect on what I collect and how I collect, but the many showing up on here who are coin novices should not be looking for DDO coins. They do not know what to look for and without that knowledge to begin with, the wheels fall off right away.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

THIS... is why I don't collect doubled die coins.  I would throw-out the VP-002 every time as mechanical doubling.

I believe the doubling seen at the top of the date IS mechanical doubling.  I think the actual DDO is seen as a notching and the bottom right base of the 1 and possibly the 7.  The doubling t the top of the date id flat and shelflike and matches the doubling seen of the mintmark, which would not be doubled on a DDO.

On 8/1/2023 at 9:26 AM, The Neophyte Numismatist said:

I would throw-out the VP-002 every time as mechanical doubling

It has some very distinctive die doubling with notching, particularly at "God" and "We", but not so much just looking at the date.  DoubleDie.com has better pictures of this variety ... http://doubleddie.com/384301.html