• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Large cent 1851/81 help for grading.
1 1

18 posts in this topic

That is an interesting overdate for sure.   I'm not seeing any luster on the coin in your op so that would rule out any grade over XF45 imo.   Is it worth it, well that really depends on what you want it graded and slabbed for.   If you want it for a registry set or because you plan to resell the coin then it may be worth it to you to spend the funds and have it graded.   I would simply put the coin into a cost effective holder like a kointaine and enjoy the coin for what it is as it is.

The partially remediated verdigris over UNITED is the only significant minus to this piece. I’d keep an eye on that.

Edited by VKurtB

I really like that one. Nice find. If it were mine Id submit it to NCS to see what that crust is around UNITED and if it can be conserved.  Hopefully not PVC damage. That would be heartbreaking. 

On 7/30/2023 at 8:35 PM, Hoghead515 said:

Hopefully not PVC damage. That would be heartbreaking.

NCS can remove PVC residue, but I do not believe they can remediate actual PVC damage. Also, in my experiences sending coppers to NCS before grading has not had the most desirable of results. Many times on coppers, they have gotten off the surface issue, but the underlying copper surface remains damaged and stained most likely due to its metal composition in regards to resistance to damage and corrosion. I have had better luck with silver when it comes to NCS. 

I am not sure what that is on the reverse, but I suspect even if NCS had a go at it, it might help keep it from getting any worse, but I think there would still be a stain. The coin itself is really good condition for an earlier copper and I think the OP has a good find. I would submit it but that's just me and I send in roughly 25-40 coins at a time, so shipping to me would be null in the grand scheme of things which is why I suggested finding a dealer that is close that will lump it in with their submission to save on submitting a single coin.

Good to hear! Please get back to us in this thread once you have the coin back from NGC so we can see how it turned out!

We always like a good ending to a story (as well as see what grade it ends up getting so we can verify our own grading skills which can be difficult without the coin in hand by the way.)

Edited by powermad5000

On 7/31/2023 at 3:33 AM, tartamimmi said:

In Italy we pay 35.00 euros for the grading service for each coin ... 

Isn't there also the per order handling fee, variety fee (for the 1851/81 variety), and return shipping fee, plus your cost to ship the coin to NGC GmbH?  Why not just put it in your own holder and keep an eye on the discoloration as you are likely to lose money submitting it?

It's not a thousand dollar coin, but it deserves to be properly graded.
If its value, in the slab, reaches 250/300 dollars, I will largely recover the expenses!
The pieces that deserve, I think it's good to put them in slabs, to preserve them, and to have a certainty of value in the future.
Because in Italy, in case of resale, without slab this US piece would not be appreciated and valued for its correct value.
I think the Slab is an international conservation guarantee. So it gives me security on the pieces I have in my collection.
And it gives me a certain grading, not the hypothetical grade of internet friends.
thanks a lot to everyone!

On 8/1/2023 at 7:34 AM, tartamimmi said:

I think the Slab is an international conservation guarantee. So it gives me security on the pieces I have in my collection.

The conservation value of slabs is grossly overstated. The coins must STILL be lavishly tended to in terms of heat, humidity, and gasses of all types. No slabs are airtight. No one has ever claimed they were. “Sonically sealed” means sound waves were used to close the slab, NOT that the slabs are airtight. 

NGC states that its holders are not designed to be either airtight not watertight. See NGC Grading FAQs - NGC Labels and Holders | NGC (ngccoin.com), answer to question, "Is the NGC holder airtight or watertight". The NGC Guarantee does not apply to coins that NGC has determined have been improperly stored or that tend to deteriorate over time. NGC Guarantee | Coin Certification Guarantee | NGC (ngccoin.com).  Most importantly concerning the copper coin that is the subject of this topic, "Coins made of copper, bronze and brass or are copper-plated can change over time. Accordingly, with regard to copper, bronze, brass or copper-plated Coins, the grade portion of this Guarantee will no longer apply after the 10-year anniversary of their date of encapsulation. 

The vast majority of my circulated half and large cents and other copper and copper alloy coins have been stored in Library of Coins and Whitman albums in air-conditioned bank vaults for decades. They're doing just fine and taking up a small fraction they would occupy in grading service holders. Although NGC and other grading service holders will protect coins from your grubby fingers, falls, and certain other hazards, so will far less expensive and bulky storage options.

Thanks as always for the replies, for me the slab is protection from falls, fingers acids and other possible damages!
obvious that the coin inside is still breathing.
I took another braided cent variety very very interesting!
And I need your opinion! In these days I will make a new post!

greetings from Italy
Miriam